More progress on ocean wallhanging - see Post #8

ferretlady

This is just a start of a larger project I have in mind - not sure if I'll be able to pull the entire project off or not, but I'm going to have fun trying!

I want to create some sort of seascape wall-hanging --- I don't know if I can manage a pictorial type of piece, or if it will just end up being more of a collage or ??? But last night, I finally got a tiny start & did this tidbit of seaweed -- or coral ??? Not sure which it is...

The photo is awful - the yarn is a leftover bit of gorgeous Malabrigo that I just couldn't let go to waste - it's a deep dark olive green with bits of tan/pinkish/lighter green here & there....

Anyway, this is my tentative first little hop into trying to do some freeform!

3349869266_758228f928.jpg

I like your coral/seaweed! I think ocean creature shapes really lend themselves to freeform. I made some shell and coral/seaweed (I couldn't decide which it was either:lol) shapes and appliqued them onto a towel. they were really fun to make:hook I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your project :clap

Thanks everyone! I got most of another different 'curly/leafy' type coral done tonight - will post a pic as soon as I finish it up. Although the above piece was flattened out for the photo, some of the 'branches' tend to want to stick up this way & that, which is what I was trying to do with it. I'm (hoping) to make the finished project somewhat three-dimensional...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on other projects, but tinkering around with my "ocean" wallhanging idea a little bit on the side...

This is what I've got done so far on the main body or "background" of the hanging. This portion will eventually be at least 2' x 4', and the various things like the seaweed will be attached to the "background". This is just a tiny start - this tidbit measures about 10"x14" roughly... got a bit too much of the one yarn in it & need more variety, but this is just a small bit so lots & lots of room to add more...

3376660418_ce3605cdd5.jpg

This was the curly coral I did - not sure if I like it or not, the pics show it scrunched up two different ways - I'm just afraid it looks like a bath puff rather than a coral.... it might go in the junk pile rather than on the wall-hanging... we'll see...

3375992431_6ba11961cb_m.jpg3375992411_ca0e8b8873_m.jpg

Your coral looks like coral to me! This is a fascinating project. I look forward to seeing your work. How do your thought processes work when you are adding yarn and shapes? I ask because I don't have a clue about how to go about doing free form.

I also like it, and don't think the coral looks like a bath puff (granted you could also make a bath puff in that shape, but in the context of the piece I definitely think it looks like coral , and esp. since the colors are right for coral). I like the sand dollar-ish shape in the upper left, and the seaweed-ish green in the lower right, and the lacy green in lower left, the spiral, all the background :D It's great! very interesting to watch you building it:hook

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!!

TxCrochetLover, hmmm... LOL, I don't know if I end up with a very clear thought process while doing this - I initially pulled out a bunch of different yarns that I thought I might use, and try to have some nice contrast between colors & textures... but it's more like just semi-random "doodling" for me at this point (working on the background piece).

If you've ever doodled while talking on the phone - maybe you started to draw a smiley face, but then kept on scribbling & it ended up going off in a different direction altogether -- LOL, it's kinda like that, if that makes any sense at all.... Like the dark blue that is running up the one side of it right now - it started out meaning to just be a small patch of dark blue under the green seaweed-ish piece. Then I saw a tiny scrap of while glittalic I'd set aside, that made a nice little wave-foam under the blue... then the blue looked nice coming back up again under there, and it just decided to keep going on up the side -- totally different that what I'd originally thought I'd do with it.

I don't know how well the entire thing will end up coming out - hopefully I'll be happy enough with it to hang it up -- but it is a lot of fun to just sit & "yarn-doodle" spontaneously, not worrying about following any rigid structure or pattern - just go whereever it goes....

Thanks again for all the kind comments!!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived