Tips on writing a book, please

I know we have a number of folk here who have authored books. Pattern books, instructional books, epic novels.

I'd like to know (and likely others would too) what's the general concensus about self publishing. What to look out for, what's good... that kind of stuff.

Jimbo

I dont have a clue about that. But I think that you would make a great writer!!You have nice sense of humor and all.

Unless you are going to write about the life of a squirrel that comes to attack the man that cut down his tree to make crochet hooks.But in the end learns how to crochet from one of the hooks that was its home. :lol

I don't know much about it. I remember Writer's Digest magazine had an issue devoted to self publishing , you might be able to find back issues at a library (sorry can't remember which one, I haven't really been reading them lately so I let my subscription slide, but it was just recently, last few issues, this year I believe).

Here's their website http://www.writersdigest.com/GeneralMenu/ .

Check out their "get published" section which has some infor on self publishing http://www.writersdigest.com/GetPublishedCategory/

They have a search feature and you can search for "self publishing" I just did and there were a few articles from that too.

There's a forum on that website which might have more info too.

Good luck.

Debbi

Thanks Debbi!! I appreciate the link. Looks like they even have something about instructional books in the sewing arena which is at least kinda close.

I'll check it closer.

Jimbo, Myra Wood will be offering a round-table discussion class at CGOA's Professional Development Day on August 5 in Buffalo, NY (just before the Chain Link conference). Her class is titled "Self-Publishing for Fiber Artists." You can read more about her class and others here.

Ah shoot!! I'd be there in a flash if she was at the Portland Oregon event coming in May. A trip back east is tempting but, well not in the pocketbook. I bet she's good though.

Thanks Amy.

And congratulations for your election to the CGOA board!!

Just went there and saw that YOU'll be doing a session on improving your internet business. THAT one would be a must see too!!

I think Myra is going to be at Portland, but alas, she's not doing a repeat of her discussion out here. And it doesn't look like you'll be here at all!!

shoot

Thanks, Jimbo! I hope everyone who attends it will enjoy my class and think I've given them some helpful, useful information.

Who knows? If the class is successful, maybe it would be a good class to offer here at Crochetville for all our members who are trying to make crochet-related businesses work (designers who submit, designers who run etsy shops, those who sell finished items, pretty much anyone with a crochet-related business).

I think somebody else has also been kicking around the idea of teaching a class here on self-publishing. This person isn't Myra, but somebody else who has a great deal of self-publishing experience. I'm not sure if this person is ready to make their plans public right now, so I'll hold off on mentioning names for the present.

But if you or anybody else would be interested in taking such a class here at Crochetville, let me know!

Here's me letting you know. Maybe you two could gang up... X could do the publishing bit, You could do the promotion bit.

Try lulu.com. My husband published a few of his own books. It was pretty easy - but they have a few guidelines etc that you should look at before creating your book (in a word processor) like border widths, page layouts, etc.

You can either be the seller or give them rights to it. If the book is registered (registered for a barcode), it even gets picked up at places like amazon, etc.

*edit* By register, I mean to obtain an ISBN - it was really easy as Lulu handles most of the paperwork for you (for a fee of course) and I believe it was only about $50.00.

Hello Jimbo,

Some books I found really helpful were:

'The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing' by Tom and Marilyn Ross

(look for it on Google books to read an excerpt from the book - see if it's what you're looking for).

and perhaps

'From Pitch to Publication' by Carol Blake

(which is actually more for authors who work with a publishing house, nonetheless it's always good to have a few different perspectives on the business).

I write for an educational publisher but have considered self-publishing (not for fiber arts, more education stuff).

Some best selling authors started off as self-publishing their work! So I'm all in favor of it though I personally have not taken the leap (yet)!

Archived