Feeling Overwhelmed, just need some kind words

Shellie

I don't know if any of you know me and if this is the wrong place, please let me know!

I don't do mass charity work, I find people I want to donate to and just kinda do. lol

I make the memory angels for lost children and right now I am just feeling overwhelmed. I volunteered to make four dolls for a charity raffle and I am finding it very hard to start the last doll. I keep finding new people I want to make angels for!

Is anyone else doing things like this? Just charity one at a time and sometimes feel like they will never catch up? I have so many on my "list" that I worry I will forget someone. They wouldn't know I forgot since I don't contact until the angel/angels are done but I would.

I guess I just wanted a few words of encouragement. I know I am doing the right thing-each new thank you fills me up inside so much! (and is it okay to get as much out of giving as they do out of receiving??) And I don't mind making the dolls-I do have an idea of what I want for this last one. I just can't seem to get started because there are so many angels...

Your work is fantastic and much appreciated I'm sure. My grandmother used to say she made things for two reasons; One to give to people and two because it filled her with such joy. Don't let the joy go out of it by trying to take on too much. :hug

your angels are just darling.

I don't know if this sounds corny or not,but when I make and give items,it makes me extremely happy and satisfied.

How far away is the raffle date for the four angels you committed to make? I know sometimes I put stuff off,but then it jangles my nerves ,the pressure I put myself through to get a deadline met,hopefully soon it wil come to you,what is just right for this last angel.good luck.Linda

The dolls for the raffle aren't my angels, I also make doll, dolls. :) I know the raffle is charity too but I guess its harder because the baby for the raffle is still alive. Uh, I hope that didn't come out all wrong. I just mean even if she's been in the hospital since birth, they still have her. These other people don't have a child to hold at all.

This is really coming out sounding all wrong, hopefully everyone is not confused...

First of all, your angels are wonderful. You do a great job on them and I'm sure they are all loved. :clap:c9

I can totally relate to how you're feeling. :hug I think many of us here can. It shows that you have a kind, generous heart and want to do whatever you can to help out. It's sometimes difficult to not take on too much. You keep saying to yourself, "Oh, I can do that!" until you have so many things to do that you're stressed and burnt out. I know that it's hard to say "no" but sometimes we have to. I'm just learning to, myself. :yes Best of luck with your last doll. You can do it!!! :cheer And then, take a rest. :hug:)

I totally get what you're saying. Of course it's ok to get as much out of giving as they get in receiving. Sometimes I think I get more from giving. We all want to be appreciated.

As difficult as this last doll is - you did make the commitment. Do you have time to make an angel before you make the doll? It just sounds like you're burnt out doing too many of the same thing.

Consider it a lesson learned. Try not to over extend yourself in the future. I understand that it's difficult to say no sometimes but I think it's better to either say no or not offer than to not have your heart in the right place when you're making things.

Remember, these people will appreciate it even more so because they weren't forgotten about.

I think your angels are beautiful and the dolls too. I do a lot of my charity the same way you do. I think when we start looking for the thank yous, that it takes some of the joy out of our giving. I give to give and not to necessarily get a thank you. A lot of times I don't even know the people receiving.

:hug

I think some people are getting the wrong idea. I don't do it for thank yous. I just said I know they are appreciated because I get thank yous.

And I have about two weeks left for this last doll so its not really a time crunch thing. I just was noticing I keep finding more people to make angels for while I am trying to get the last doll done. As for not knowing the person, I don't know these people either, I just prefer to do it one at a time and personalized. Its much harder to personalize mass charity things.

I appreciate all the encouragement, I think I just needed to take a day off. Crochet is like my therapy for my anxiety but I do get OCD about it. Sometimes I do it to the point I am not even interacting much with people.

As for the forgetting, I am not going to forget my commitment for the dolls. I was talking about the angels I make-sometimes I find so many new ones I want to make that I lose track of where I saw it, etc. Nobody knows I forgot, they didn't even know I was thinking about it. That does not mean I don't feel bad when I realize I can't remember where I saw the need.

I hope that clears up a few things.

Put the hook down and step back.

What you need is a day to yourself. Sit and vegitate for the day, go for a walk, call a friend and go to lunch or to the mall, or work in the garden.

You are just feeling over whelmed and need some time to yourself.:hook

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree with the Tampa Doll, you need to take a break. Rewind so to speak, do something else..your dolls are a beautiful gift to people who need them. In order to do the work you need your heart, soul, body and mind to be on the task at hand. Sometimes and only because people like you are so giving, they forget to give to themselves. Take a breath...be well, be happy!

I have to agree, too. It sounds like you're committing yourself to so many things that you're burning yourself out, and that never helps anyone. Take a step back, and spend some time taking care of YOU. Make a cup of tea or coffee. Call a friend for lunch. Go for a walk somewhere peaceful and tranquil. You can't give to other people when your emotional batteries are so drained, so take the time to recharge yourself first. Then you can come back to your projects renewed and re-energized.

Been there, done that, voice of experience, yadda-yadda.

I have crocheted several prayer shawls, lapghans and ripples for those in need. I am extremely burned out, because it got to the point that everytime a friend of mine heard that someone was ill with cancer she would come to me and say, "We have another shawl to make". Don't get me wrong I enjoy crocheting for those in need, but it was all I was doing. Now I can't get started again with anything big. I have been crocheting comfort squares for people here on the 'Ville.

Your work is so generous and beautiful and you are only one person. You can't possible make something for everyone you know or hear about. Maybe focus on the people that don't have a good support network.

Sorry for rambling and I hope for find the encouragement to finish the last raffle doll.

:hug

Archived