A little rant about people's view of crochet

Knowing how to crochet is an art and a skill that you should be proud of, shame on your friend not knowing that. My daughter is 18 and is a proud member of the crocheting and knitting club at her university.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd would tell her to shove off and not be jealous cause you have an enjoyable craft that you are good at. I recently got into the art of making toys and my husband and family agree with me that it is the coolest thing ever.

I believe that it would be a huge disservice to the world if new people didn't pick up the craft, it connects us to our past and helps keep a genuine art alive. Additionally, what makes squatting on face book for 7 hours a day a better expense of time than creating something that makes you smile?

BTW, my three year old will sit and watch me crochet for hours, I have even begun to teach her some of the basics.

I have another point to make about crochet....it is used in many ways to GIVE to others.......thru charity to help children or adults in hospitals or homeless people.....

anything that helps someone else should never be looked down on.

What has your "friend" done to help someone else?

It just really ruffles my feathers that your friend talked to you that way.

I am 32 and have been crocheting for a few years. I am the only one who has called myself an old lady, but husband and brothers never seem to argue with me lol. I have very long, straight hair that I typically wear naturally or in a pony tail. I read, I crochet, I listen to Bible sermons, and I enjoy playing Bingo and having lunch with my grandmother. I've had to have knee surgery. And I have 2 (step) grandchildren! So most of the time I do feel like older than my actual years or maybe I am just wiser and more mature =)

My family loves the things I make and some of them think I should actually make a business out of it (no thanks, I NEED it as a hobby!) They are always excited to see what I've made for them or other family members.

So as for your friend, I hope they were just teasing you in a friendly manner, but since it hurt your feelings you should speak up. They may have meant no insult by it. It wouldn't bother me at all and I'd likely say it to someone else, unless I know it would hurt them. Try not to let it bother you. As long as you are happy, it really shouldn't matter what someone else thinks.

I have to share with you my "Mother-In-Law" comment concerning granny squares.

One Thanksgiving celebration hubby and I motored the 125 miles across the state to spend a whopping three hours with his family for THE dinner. I always take some kind of crocheting with me to pass the time in the car and because the conversations didn't always include me. Usually I had a doily or a sweater to work on but this time I had a crimson and cream granny square pattern I was trying to finish up.

As I sat at the kitchen table and took out the square I was hooking, my MIL rolled her eyes and said very loudly, "Oh I don't like those granny square things.....they are just so old fashioned!!!!!" Now you have to realize that that statement came from the lips of an 87 year old woman wearing a CUBS jacket with sleeves 5 inches passed her fingertips, using a cane with a small cowbell on it and sporting an Art Garfunkel hairdo.....LOL. I guess I don't mind being my kind of Old Fashioned.....

I have to share with you my "Mother-In-Law" comment concerning granny squares.

As I sat at the kitchen table and took out the square I was hooking, my MIL rolled her eyes and said very loudly, "Oh I don't like those granny square things.....they are just so old fashioned!!!!!" Now you have to realize that that statement came from the lips of an 87 year old woman wearing a CUBS jacket with sleeves 5 inches passed her fingertips, using a cane with a small cowbell on it and sporting an Art Garfunkel hairdo.....LOL. I guess I don't mind being my kind of Old Fashioned.....

somehow, and i don't mean this cruelly or hurtfully towards her,my brain is trying to include "blue hair" should be included in that description also.

amazing how our minds can "flip the trigger" on it's own fuseboxes.

Sandy

:ohdear It is so sad that your "friend" was mean to you. On the plus side:clap you have lots of FRIENDS here. Most people love the things I make. I love to use luxury yarn (when I can find a good sale, or frog it from thrift store finds) and make wearables. A while ago, I was afraid to give handmade items to my stepdaughter because she is so young and fashion-forward. I showed her some scarves I made, and asked her if she would like any of them?? She took all 5! Also, when I was on vacation I brought my yarn (cotton, I was in a warm climate) and hooks with me. While laying on the beach, I started making myself a new cover-up, because I really didn't like the one I had with me. The man from a younger couple saw what I was doing and asked what I was making. I told him, and he and his wife came over to look. They liked it so much, they offered me $75 to make one for them!!!!:eek The man said it would be a bargain, since the one his wife saw in the hotel shop was $200!!!!! (and not as nice).

So, let people make negative comments. They are just ignorant and don't realize the beauty, versatility and timelessness of :crocheting. And I don't consider myself an "old lady" -- I'm 44

I’m sorry a friend dealt you with so harshly. Though I’m rapidly becoming an old man, and only recently have I taken up crochet, I find it more a matter of time, not time to kill, but time to do something creative. I suppose the desire to create is a presence in the makeup of humanity, it is just there. As a kid you begin to learn what you are good at. Even at a very young age I learned I couldn’t draw anything but trees, and have the drawing recognized for what it was supposed to be. The game “Pictionary” was never going to be something I would be good at. But I learned I could sing better than some but no one was ever going to stand in line to hear me sing. I could and can cook, most days, but not every day. On some days my dog gives me a dirty look when she gets a bite. I have found that I can crochet, and that when I do it does a few things, first I enjoy it, it calms me down, lowers my blood pressure, and I get to create. The only thing I have ever made for myself is a potholder. And the only reason for the potholder was I was between projects and looking desperately for gift possibilities for the Holidays. And I had to feed my addiction, and I had in some cotton yarn in my stash that had been discontinued and was dirt-cheap. I have yet to make a gift for someone who said they didn’t want it. I gave a scarf to my favorite aunt and when she learned I had made it she cried, and it wasn’t because the scarf was ugly, at least I hope not. I tend to think of crochet, like I do about forgiveness, You do it for yourself.

John Hablinski, Corpus Christi, Texas, USA

The thing that I can't get over about all the naysayers over crochet is how RUDE they are. :angry

Honestly, I can think of many different hobbies and interests that I just don't get, but I don't tell people to their face that I think their pastime is stupid, a waste of time, or just plain silly. The way I figure, if whatever it is makes them happy and doesn't hurt anyone, then who am I to say what's "wrong" or not? :think

When you make something for someone else it's almost like you are giving them a piece of yourself, for them to keep. I make things for people I care about as an extension of my love.

Also, I get invited to alot of bridal showers, because alot of 20 and 30 year old brides know I make an afghan for a gift. They usually pull it out and exclaim I was hoping you would make me one of these!! They can't wait to see what I made them!

Please share you crocheting with us because we can't wait to see what you make!!!!

When you make something for someone else it's almost like you are giving them a piece of yourself, for them to keep. I make things for people I care about as an extension of my love.

Please share you crocheting with us because we can't wait to see what you make!!!!

This is so true. Both parts -- We really want to see if you're an "old woman":lol

Hey, you at least are doing something worthwhile with your time. People who make these kinds of comments are (like I said in another post) the same people who sit around playing video games for hours on end or watch hours of mindless reality TV.

There are all sorts of people who crochet nowadays. When I was at my SnB group at our local Starbucks, we ran into some young teenagers, and one of the guys told us that he crocheted--definitely NOT a little old lady!

So tell your friends to put a sock in it...and to get a life, and stop worrying about what you're doing with yours. :D

Hey now! I love playing video games for hours on end! :lol

I hate when people feel the need to cut at others. Your "friend" has a major case of the green eyed monster. i'd be willing to bet she's way jealoud she can't make something as pretty as your afghan.

Keep that in mind and have a hug. :hug

I have been crocheting since I was 9, and I'm now I'm 24, and I don't think I've ever had anyone say anything about my being an old lady. In fact, a bunch of my friends crochet too. It's very trendy these days. Anyway, the people who don't crochet are lined up waiting for gifts and love whatever I make for them, so I've always been pretty grateful for the appreciation.

Also, my grandmother taught me to crochet and she's gone now, so I am one of those who appreciates the link to the past as well. :manyheart

I take some yarn and a hook to work every now and then and a co-worker of mine told me that, that was grandma's job. I'm only 20 years old, but I can say right now that it's the best hobby I ever picked up. & probably one of the few that will stick with me. I love it and I get the whole. "you're old" thing all the time, but I don't care.

Archived