How would I make a pillow

faithpa76

Question

From one of those star afghans? I'm making a blanket for a Care Bear using the star afghan pattern and thought that it might be cute to do a little pillow using the same pattern as well - I'm not sure how to do it though - I think I'm only going to try and do one side crocheted, rather than both - should I just make the pillow from the fabric, using the crocheted star as a pattern, then stitch the star onto it? Any suggestions on the best way to do it? Maybe I can put a border on it or something to make it pop on the pillow. Because of the holes I'm going to have line it somehow.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but it's for a four year old, so durability is definitely a plus, lol.

:)

Faith

7 answers to this question

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifPersonally, I think it would be easier to crochet two stars and then crochet them together leaving one side open. Stuff firmly with fiberfill and crochet closed. One can then add another row of crochet shells or such to make it look "finished."

I find combining crochet and fabric to be really a pain. But that's just me. If I were going to, I'd use a non-woven fabric that won't fray, such as polar fleece. I'd do a blanket stitch around it for an achor for crocheting the two items together.

I've made a couple pillows recently and have pics on my blog. The star idea is cool, though as we have a family friend named Star and that might be a good Christmas present for her. Thanks for sharing the idea!

I know it would be easier to do two stars and just stitch them together, but I'm afraid the batting will come through the holes - the holes aren't big, but you're going to see the stuffing and I don't want it coming through. It needs to be washable - as I mentioned, it's for a four year old, and said four year old also has two older siblings and one younger, lol - so I want to make sure it is VERY durable and easy to clean.

Definatly use a pillow, I have made them many ways, and this is the most easiest, as well as shape. You can buy cheap ones $5.00 at many places. I have made the front in the pattern and the back in a different but sold color, both ways looks great. If you have any fabric that would look good, then make a simple shape and stuff it, then cover it with crochet work, make two crochet together leave opening and then crochet shut. Gwen:cheer2

Yeah, I was trying to figure out where I could get a star shaped pillow form, lol! I've seen (and used) regular ones but never that particular shape.

For this particular gift, I think I'm going to bypass the pillow, but dd was so enamoured with it I may just have to make another one with a pillow for her.

Thanks everyone!

:)

Faith

I totally :heart:heart:heart the star afghan (and am working on one myself) and love your idea of making a star pillow too. The easiest way to make a pillow form to go with it would be to finish both stars and use them as a pattern to cut out two stars in muslin or another fabric for the form. My personal preference on forms is to cut the fabric two inches larger than my finished pillow size (when doing crochet that is) which leaves plenty of room for the sewing seam (can't remember the technical word) and also makes sure the crocheted pillow is tight over the pillow form.

Sew and stuff the form as per usual, then using any variety of stiches, sew the two crochet stars around the form. Some people (like me) like a decorative edge, so I have a tendency to crochet the pieces together with a single crochet, and then add whatever decorative stitch I'm favoring at the moment.

I hope this helps!

Archived