Announcing: Official Registered Trademark Status!

Amy

Donna and I are very excited to announce that the Crochetville name and logo are now officially registered trademarks! We received our Certificate of Registration in the mail last week.

Why did we register our trademarks?

A trademark is a valuable asset, even for a small company like Crochetville. Although registration isn't required to use a trademark, owning a federal trademark registration provides additional legal protection for our use of the mark.

If you have any questions about trademarks, you can visit the United States Patent and Trademark Office's Basic Facts About Trademarks.

What will change at Crochetville?

We've been using our trademarks for a long time, and having them officially registered won't change Crochetville. But now you'll see us using the ® symbol in our logo and next to the name Crochetville in places like our header, footer, and forum navigation. You'll also see the ® symbol next to the name Crochetville in emails you've opted to receive from Crochetville.

What does it mean for Crochetville members and others?

Anyone is still free (and encouraged), as always, to write about Crochetville on blogs and other web sites, link to our site, and use our official Crochetville button graphics.

However, if you want to create anything yourself (including but not limited to buttons, graphics, or any other items) using the Crochetville name or logo, you will need to request our express written permission to use them. We don't make this requirement to be mean or unfriendly; it's simply the way trademark law works. If we let anyone use our trademarks without permission, we risk losing them. And if we don't stop people who use our trademarks without permission, we risk losing them as well.

For example, you know those beautiful Crochetville tote bags Tampa Doll makes and sends out to a lucky member each month? She asked for and received (a very long time ago) our permission to use our logo for that purpose.

If you want to create something using the Crochetville logo, you will need to ask us for permission first. This applies regardless of whether you want to give something away for free or sell it. Permission will be granted solely at our discretion. Licensing fees will apply to any commercial/for-profit use of our name and/or logo, and there might be other requirements for such use. You can use the contact us form if you have an inquiry about using our trademarks.

Please celebrate with us!

Please join us in celebrating Crochetville's new registered trademark status! :yay:clap

Yes, it was a long process, since we made some changes in our plans along the way. The US Patent and Trademark Office has information about the steps along the way, how long it takes, etc. if anybody's interested in reading about that.

We're just glad we were able to do this on our own without paying a lawyer to do it for us. :)

Having that little ® will help others recognize Crochetville as a legitimate, trustworthy crochet-related business site, which is very important now that we're offering more and more online classes.

:cloverI noticed the "R" symbol last week and thought how nice that was. It is a sure sign of a successful site !!!:clover

:flowerRemember...Spring ahead tonight...turn your clocks ahead 1 hour !!!:yay

I, too, had noticed the little R by Crochetville but didn't give it much thought. I guess I was having another one of my "Dhuh" moments (my term for "senior" moments). Congratulations you two. Its an exciting time for us here in Crochetville. The best 'ville in the world. Okay in my world C'ville would be next to Louisville and Nashville.

Congratulations! The two of you have worked long and hard, and it nice this worked out for you. This is the most loved crochet site of all.

Archived