What are your excuses?

I accidentally posted this in the other Q & A Forum and don't know how to delete it, but now I am posting this in here because it is where it belongs.

Okay all.. due to another thread that I am in I started thinking. All of us who do any type of craft are constantly bringing supplies home from wherever we can get our hands on them. And of course somebody, from ourselves to our spouses to our friends, usually has something to say about the amount of things we have or money we spend on them. I have come up with some pretty inventive excuses through the years to justify things to myself and snuck somethings into the house in some pretty odd ways. And since I know I am not the only one out there, what are some of the ways that you have come up with to either justify your purchases, or why you shouldn't get rid of something to either yourself or others, and what are some of the ways that you have snuck those things into your stash so that you didn't have to justify it. :blush Or the odd things that you have had to do to overcome temptation. Come on.. you know I'm talking about each and every one of you. I am curious. My favorite is actually making my hubby give me a time limit on the computer so that I stop downloading patterns and actually work on my WIPs.:blink

This happened to me just this week. Big Lots had a big sale on Chenille and Suede yarn by Lion Brand. I have always wanted to work with them but could never afford the price. Well at $1.50 a skein it was very much "do-able"! Not that I need any more yarn but...at that price I couldn't resist.

I justified charging 42 skeins of yarn on my Visa by telling my hubby that it would earn me more Rewards Points on the Visa and then I could just apply that to a credit on my account so actually the yarn would only cost me around $12. Who can pass up Chenille yarn when it is 42 skeins for $12? :think

P.S. It worked! :yes

Gifts for others--and cost less then if I had bought something or put money into a "pool".

It's my money, I made it, so I spend it on what I want.

I can't throw this away or give it a second hand store, I might need this yarn color later, I've done that before.

White yarn goes with everything and I can take even half a skien of another color to work with it and make a nice item (told this to a sales rep at micheals when I bought some but didn't need it... she gave me a "look", she must not have crocheted...). And it is true.

It only cost me.... and it was on sale or I had a coupon or this extra one was less because it was on sale or I had a coupon...

Thankfully I've gotten over the need to make excuses. I am finally to the point where I can honestly say other people's opinions really do not matter when it comes to my crafting and other things I do. They are free to express them and I smile politely and let them go. 90% of the yarn and craft stuff I buy is to make things that I give away. The Lord provided me the $$ (and it IS His money after all) and so if He is happy with what I'm doing, what everone else says is no big deal. It took me a long time to get here!

I do have to say however I do not own or use credit cards so if I don't have the cash I don't buy. What is funny to me is that if I have something to make but don't have the cash, I turn around and someone is giving me yarn that turns out to be perfect for the project. And there are the times I need to make Chemo hats and run across the softest yarn reg $6.50 a skein on sale for $1.99 a skein and I have money from overtime.

I don't have a spouse so I don't have to answer to one. I truly don't know how I would handle it if I had one that was unsupportive or critical! Hats off to you who handle it well!

Karen that is great. Usually those are excuses I say to myself becuase I feel guilty... even the one to the sales lady. I need to work on that more I know. Thanks for you post, that helps.

And I don't have a spouse either and I always thought if I get one he has to like my crocheting and accept it... if he didn't I would have to think long and hard about it. Hopefully he would have a hobby too. That would work out.

Debbi

When my boyfriend first lived with me he'd kind of question all of the money I was spending on yarn. But we bought a bigger house last year and he moved all of his stuff in that we didn't have room for at the previous house and I found out that owns at least 5 guitars (he plays in a local band). So, I told him he can never say one more thing about me spending money on yarn because I'll probably never spend as much as he did on all of his music equipment...who the heck needs 5 guitars?!

I am lucky that I have a DH that supports my hubby too, but he does "lovingly" grumble under his breath from time to time or shake his head in puzzlement when he sees the amount of yarn I have. My mom supports me by buying yarn (she is my enabler):P but she has asked me to teach her how to crochet so I may end up with less :eek than before. I don't really care what others think but have still caught myself trying to explain more than making excuses and there are times that I do feel guilty about buying yarn:blush or even bringing it in the house when I have a large amount already. I very rarely buy it unless it is on sale or clearance or at a thrift store and if I do find it somewhere that it isn't one of those places God has always provided it when I needed it. Maybe I should restart this thread with the question about the most inventive ways you find to store your supplies:D I totally agree about when you are doing for others at the Lord's direction and needing certain supplies about asking the Lord for provision and He certainly comes through every single time. And a lot of the times you don't even need to ask.. He just supplies in very interesting ways. Go Jesus!!!!:cheer:clap

I don't need excuses anymore, I am retired and over 65 so what I buy no one says a word, My dh buys my yarn for me any time I want it. He buys musical equipment and he has more than 5 guitars, a set of drums and 2 pa systems. He also has 6 amps. I don't say anything to him and he keeps buying me yarn. It is hard to get through our house without tripping over either yarn or music equipment but we are happy and have been married for 46 years.

I've never had to offer an excuse to my husband, or sneak something into the house. NEVER. No more than he's ever offered an excuse to me when he buys something he wants or snuck it into the house. I keep the books for us, but I keep him fully aware of our money situation and whether there's "play" money available. No need for excuses or sneaking at all here. I know threads like this are always meant to be lighthearted but to me they're a little bizarre because I just don't understand the making excuses and sneaking thing! I mean no offense! As far as justifying it to myself, so long as I have the money, it's a yarn I like in a color I like, and the price is good, that's all the justification I need. I'm not buying much right now because money is tight.

DH is almost always genuinely curious what I plan to make with the yarn, because he loves watching me make things, and usually does ask if I got a good deal, because I am pretty cheap and rarely buy unless it's on sale or clearance, or I have a coupon, and he knows I love it when I get good yarn on the cheap!

Archived