Yarn Graffitti - Now I've heard everything!

My brother sent me this link and said perhaps I could take up this pastime after I finish all the hats, scarves and blankets I make for charity. He was joking of course - he is very supportive of his wife and me in our charity efforts. this made me smile and I could see parts of it used as a RAOK in my neighborhood.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Life/Yarn+bombers+take+Vancouver+streets/1342756/story.html

Maybe i'm an old fuddy duddy, but I don't like this idea. I would rather make a scarf or hat for a homeless person, or people who are down on their luck than to make a scarf for a tree or statue that will eventually be tossed away.

Just my opinion.

:manyheart

This kinda reminds me of the thing that cities around the US were doing with animals. For example the Town Turtles:turtle of Sandy Springs was a fundraising and public art event presented by The Sandy Springs Society in 2005. The purpose was to enable artists, sponsors, businesses and social groups to work together toward the common goal of enriching the community by contributing not only to its needs but also by promoting the arts and community spirit. 75 painted life-sized fiberglass turtles took up residence at shopping malls, business parks, pocket parks, schools, and restaurants in Sandy Springs. http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM1VQH

Something like this would be a better way to promote the crochet and knitting graffiti and support local fundraising.

Ha... that's amazing. I think Kalamazoo could look a little brighter if it had more crochet graffitti around town. Very clever.

I agree with you Linda there are so many charitable ways that they could be using thier talents. I think that although this "yarn Bombing" may look good and promote needleworks, it is a waste of perfectly good yarn:yarn that someone could be :crocheting into something for those in need

:ty for a good laugh. I'm not sure if it can be considered graffiti or littering. It's just plain funny and we all need a good laugh these days. Besides wouldn't the doorknob cozies keep germs from being spread. I mean think about it what disease could you get by touching a "bare doorknob." I'm sure those sandwich boards get cold feet standing outside in the cold all day long. Warm tootsies, warm hearts. :rofl :rofl

Looks a bit like what has been happening in a neighboring county in my state. All I know, it isn't me!

http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/

but I have to agree, there is a better use for the time and

materials that are going into this type of stuff. :(

Wonder if they got the idea from that book? :think

Now I think perhaps my mailbox needs a snuggie! :devil:lol

Looks a bit like what has been happening in a neighboring county in my state. All I know, it isn't me!

LMBO! When I opened the link and saw "Bay City News" I did a double take because I live in Bay City and I was thinking "I would have remembered this, but it's not familiar at all!", but I live in Bay City, TEXAS.

I love the idea of dressing statues, whoever had that one! That's just hilarious!

Speaking of dressing statues - there is a display of several statues on Music Row in downtown Nashville, TN. The controversy of this particular display is all of the statues are naked. I've not seen this display just pictures of it on the news and in the newspaper. There's at least two female figures and one or two males and they are all dancing around in a circle. I wonder if in the winter they could use some hats, scarves, and mittens and in the summer maybe a bikini or bathing trunks. MMMM! Just a thought.

I'm probably the odd one out, but to me it just looks like littering and I don't like it (or any other kind of tagging or graffiti for that matter.)

Maybe i'm an old fuddy duddy, but I don't like this idea. I would rather make a scarf or hat for a homeless person, or people who are down on their luck than to make a scarf for a tree or statue that will eventually be tossed away.

Just my opinion.

:manyheart

I agree with you Linda there are so many charitable ways that they could be using thier talents. I think that although this "yarn Bombing" may look good and promote needleworks, it is a waste of perfectly good yarn:yarn that someone could be :crocheting into something for those in need

One more here who thinks the yarn, time and effort would be better spent making something actually useful for the needy. Besides, what some of those "bombers" might consider "pretty" could seem unsightly to most. I just think those people have waaaay too much time in their hands and/or no inclination to put it to good use, I mean, even a book on that subject! This baffles me, some people who write really good stuff can't get a publisher to take them seriously to save their lives, so I wonder if this people are publishing it themselves!

Sandy Jo I tried to see the article what section was that on I agree the yarn could have been used for something more useful

Elle,

Sorry! I did not think to say which state :blush

but found a sister county clear up here! :clap

fcll25,

I believe it was in the Community News Section

of the Bay City News, March 4th edition :think

I do think if you follow the original link, look

to the left, there is a side-bar for a 'search by date'

select March 4, once there scroll down a bit to

find the article. :)

Have you seen any of these articles around your area?

This sounds like it could be a lot of fun - done in a group effort.

Oh it's fun alright...I mean, so I've heard. :eek We have that here where I'm at...allegedly (there have been whispers). There's even a group of gangsta knittas that tag internationally as well as in and around their home state. But I certainly would never do that...nosireebob...hooligans :devil

Usually one uses the the UFO's that have no hope of becomind FO's, or stuff that's worn out, like scarves and whatnot. Ummm...not that I would know personally, I've heard it whispered in the wind. :devil

Archived