Somebody stop her

:help My mom is going to the doctors' office today in Greenville, NC which is about an hour and a half from where we live. Since we don't really have any decent yarn shops close by she uses every opportunity to shop for yarn for me. She doesn't do any type of craft herself so she enables my :yarn addiction. She never comes back with less than 2 very full bags of yarn:eek and if she does that today she is gonna kill my stashbusting score :worried So if any of you live anywhere near Greenville, NC and see a little silver haired lady traveling with a tall thin man with a goatee and limps and you see her carrying bags of yarn or going into a craft store or yarn shop, please as politely as you can, distract her and steal the yarn...lol

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally understand - my mom is the shopper and knows exactly what I like for some of the charity projects we are working on - When she gets extra $$ from tips at work she will go buy yarn!! I hate to shop so I'm totally okay with this process however she does not understand limits LOL!!!

Yep.. that is my mom too. She doesn't seem to get that yarn just doesn't magically store itself :lol I don't mind the yarn too much :blush but I do mind trying to find a place for it or trying to figure out how to use it. And since she doesn't craft of any type either she doesn't buy enough for a particular project or she buys way too much. And the good Lord help me if she finds a clearance sale. The last time she found one of those she bought every bit of yarn they had and then went to Walmart and bought me two large totes to store it in. Some of it was yarn that I will never use. Thank goodness that we have other crocheters and knitters in the family as well as I know people who crochet, knit, weave, etc. Most people have to sneak yarn in the house ( well, I have to do that too) but I actually have to sneak yarn out of the house so that I don't feel bad about giving away something my mom went to the trouble of buying.. :2eek

Don't complain, It is great to have a Mom that loves to enable you. I get requests from my Mother, sisters and brothers, but do you think any of them have offered or thought about giving me yarn. My oldest sister and I are the only ones that exchange gifts at Christmas.. She thinks I am the hardest to buy for, I have repeatedly said, just buy me a crochet book, hook or yarn I will be happy..... Do you think she does, Nope! instead I get some knick-knack that I don't really like that is placed someplace in my house so next time she visits she will see it....

Sorry for the Rant and be thankful for a Mother such as yours.

Just thought a little humor would lighten the day. :badidea I am very appreciative of her enabling (except when I am trying to find places to put the yarn or having to listen to DH complain about my yarn overtaking the house) and most of the time she never asks for anything in return. Most people talk in here with humor about how they are constantly buying yarn for themselves and I just thought a little humor about my most precious mom would make a few people laugh. I apologise if anyone was offended by this post. :ohdear Besides her enabling allows me to make stuff for other people and give away whatever yarn that I won't use. Trust me I truly love my mom and appreciates all that she does:manyheart

Oh please don't take my ranting as anything other that that. And a bit of jealousy. ;) I do wish someone in my family was a bit like your Mom.

Totally OT, sorry.

Is your surname Daughtry? My mother is a Daughtry from Alabama with a very huge family in the south, she had like 10 aunts and uncles from her Dad's side. My great uncle JB just turned 100 this past December.

I think it was a very nice and humorous story. I wish I had someone buy me yarn. I love yarn. I already have so much I will never use it all but you can never ever have to much yarn....

I'll totally take that yarn if you don't want it! hahaha just kidding. At least you have a lot of different choices I'm sure to make projects with.

My mom will usually let me take yarn from her store if i want any. And I'm sure if I asked she would buy me yarn but I'm a college kid, so I feel bad asking her for more than they already help me out with.

Tell her she can come and visit me anytime she'd like. I could use some help rebuilding my :yarn stash. ;)

:c9I love being part of a group that actually understands the reason for stashbusting is to make room for more stash. And I love even more that the posts that you guys write are making me smile and are definitely going to make my mom smile when I let her read them. I guess I better be careful what I post from now on.. instead of distracting her and stealing the yarn, one of you guys might distract my DH who is with her and steal her...:lol:yes

She got a big chuckle out off all your posts. She said she would love to see all of your pictures and have names and addresses and then she could pick one or two of you to send some yarn to. She really got a big chuckle out of all she read. She also said to tell you all that she would love to visit Missouri and Canada. And I think she is actually serious about sending yarn that is and maybe even about the visits :blink

Think she'd come to new york? Wish my mom did what she did, but no one else in my family crochets so they dont understand my need. haha

please as politely as you can, distract her and steal the yarn...lol

:rofl:sofunny

*humming the "Mission Impossible" theme*

Thanks for the laugh, that was a hoot!!!

My mom has passed away but she had a HUGE yarn collection in the closet...well just a closet full of yarn AND crochet thread. I would never use all of that and I was working a lot at the time and I wasnt really crocheting so I took it back to WalMart and it was $384. That is just what they took back which was about half of it. The rest I guess she ordered from Annie's Attic and it had a different UPC on it. ANYWAY, I am sure if she were still alive she would definately be buying me yarn. She used to buy me crochet patterns out the wazu. When she passed we found letters that she had written to each of us girls (I have 4 sisters) and she left me ALL the craft stuff. Needles, TONS of magazines and patterns and all that yarn and thread. She had patterns and plans for all of it though. She died suddenly in heart surgery. She is greatly missed and I am sure she is in heaven crocheting on an endless ball of yarn. So, love your mom. I am so happy she buys you yarn. You are quite a lucky gal.

Archived