How to not twist the chain

fc1123

Question

Ok I have a question my pattern for my bear says to ch 36 taking care not to twist chain; join with sl st in first ch to form a ring my question is How do you not twist the chain it seems that my chain keeps twisting thanks for the help

10 answers to this question

When I have a long chain that will need to be joined (untwisted), I go ahead and make the chain, and count as I go. Pull up a loop at the last chain so you don't lose it and put the hook down.

Go back to the beginning and count back down the chain to make sure it's correct. If it isn't, fix it. If it is, great.

Go back to the beginning and start straightening from there. Position the beginning the way you will want it when you get back to it to hook into it. If it's too awkward to hold the beginning in one hand, put it down with scissors or something on it to keep it in place. You only need enough weight on it to keep it from twisting, and to keep you from pulling it.

Just slightly smooth and straighten the chain as you work toward the end, keeping the top of the chain upward. Once the end is reached, insert the hook back in the loop, and tighten the loop back down.

Put this end up against the end you have held down with the scissors (end to end, not side by side), and slipstich in the first chain you made. You are done.

It is similar if you are chaining for a purse, etc. Just always keep in mind which way is "up" on the chain and where you want to attach it.

:thinkMy suggestion is to work the CH plus enough extra for whatever stitch you are using, eg: CH3 for a DC, CH1 for a SC.

Work the first row and join when you are done.

The tail can be used to sew the CH tog.

Otherwise, just keep your thumb on the front and your index finger on the back of the CH and run your fingers down to the end, SL ST to the last CH. (the one that was on your hook at the start.

You now have a loop with no twists.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

:thinkMy suggestion is to work the CH plus enough extra for whatever stitch you are using, eg: CH3 for a DC, CH1 for a SC.

Work the first row and join when you are done.

The tail can be used to sew the CH tog.

Otherwise, just keep your thumb on the front and your index finger on the back of the CH and run your fingers down to the end, SL ST to the last CH. (the one that was on your hook at the start.

You now have a loop with no twists.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

D'oh....that would have been sooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier!

Great ideas! And great question. Wouldn't have thought to work the first row, although I've heard it recommended in knitting before.

Great question. I've had trouble with this in the past. I've just held each new chain between my thumb and finger while I was making the next chain and then ever so often I would straighten by chain from the hook down to the beginning chain. Never thought about working the first round before joining. Clever idea that I will have to try. Thanks!!!

I hate to admit it but in the past I have avoided patterns that have large chain joins or even smallers ones such as hats that need a join, opting for patterns that move from the top down, but if aggie and the fab Jlein recommends working first row then this frustrated joiner has learned a new trick and new patterns await me..I will fear no more the dreaded long chain join.

Don't I just love this Ville :)

ty for the question I was too shy to ask <no really>

ty all for your method tips

I thank everyone for their comments and suggestions to this topic. I apologize to the OP for popping in like this, but I was just having the same problem. I had to undo everything I did TWICE on a purse I'm working on right now because it twisted. I was getting EXTREMELY frustrated and about to completely give up on it. Thanks to the replies, I feel I can finish my project without this same problem. (I have 66 chains) =( So thank you to all! And I'm sorry if I bumped a very old post

Archived