Mountain Baby Blankets 330 Blankets received so far!

maddeleine4

I thought I would take a minute to update this.

http://rachelcox.blogspot.com/2009/07/mountain-baby-blankets-update.html

Current count is 330 blankets and have been sent to warm Appalachian babies.

Rachel is now featured in an article on CAP's website. They are calling her a hero. She is an inspiration to me.

Here's the link http://www.christianapp.org/heroes.shtml

I am also willing to collect squares. Would prefer 6 inch squares in either

red heart or vanna's choice. Prefer no white or black squares.

Rachel also said they'd accept new or handmade baby items like clothes, and hats.

I am posting this on behalf of my new friend Rachel. After watching 20/20's special A Hidden America Children of the Mountains she decided to act. The Christian Appalachian Projectgoes out into the community to care for many teen moms in Appalachian Kentucky. There is a great need for warm blankets there. They will be the agency putting our handmade blankets directly into the pudgy little hands of those in need.

I offered to post this here and I hope we can help her get more blankets to the children in need.

CAP has asked for the following

Specifically, they have requested:

Receiving-size blankets

Blankets for swaddling (flannel, for example)

Crib size quilts and blankets

Child/toddler size quilts and blankets

Twin size quilts and blankets

They have requested nothing larger than twin size.

Any comfortable material is fine, however, we must remember not to use anything that could choke a baby - buttons or beads or loose appliqué, for example. All materials should be machine washable. Rachel says crocheted or knitted blankets would also be great. Please no wool and I suggest patterns that are not too open so fingers and toes can't get caught.

These are some guidelines as far as size goes

Receiving / Swaddling Size: approx. 30" x 40" (receiving/swaddling blankets should be thin - flannel or broadcloth are great for this)

Crib Size: approx. 36" x 50"

Toddler Size: approx. 50" x 75" (this includes the drop on the sides - the part that hangs over the edge of the mattress)

Twin Size: approx. 81" x 110" (this includes the drop on the sides - the part that hangs over the edge of the mattress)

I thought we could use this thread to keep track of who is sending blankets for this project.

When you are ready to send please email rachel for the address. Also please mention you heard of the project from Esther at Crochetville.

Her email is racheljcox (at) yahoo dot com

If you have other questions/comments please send me a message so we don't bog down Rachel if at all possible

Thank you for considering this project for your charity work.

Thanks for sharing this. I went to Rachel's blog & also watched the ABC special. So heartbreaking to hear/see what those people go through. And being a mother, I feel so much for all those children and babies. Again thanks for posting this, I will see what I have around here and what I can put together! =)

I am feeling disappointed. Having over 200 views, I figured more people would have jumped in to help.

I have several bright colored 6 " squares I woukld like to send you. I would like to send enough for a toddeler blanket, I am guessing 96 so it could be a few weeks yet. Let me know if that is ok. If not I can start on a few baby blankets.:)

Thanks for sharing this. I went to Rachel's blog & also watched the ABC special. So heartbreaking to hear/see what those people go through. And being a mother, I feel so much for all those children and babies. Again thanks for posting this, I will see what I have around here and what I can put together! =)

I too want to say thanks for sharing this, as I also went to Rachel's blog and watched this. It is heartbreaking to see and hear what these people go through day in and day out, but it is more heartbreaking when you actually see it and live it as I have. My family, maternal and paternal, are from this area, mainly in West Virginia and Kentucky. It reminds me of my grandfather who was a coal miner in several of these areas, who passed away at the age of 56 of black lung. Thankfully most of my close family was able to pull away from this life and have not gone back, but there are still a few that still live there. I will try to help out, if I can. I wish that they were accepting more than just blankets, as it is much easier for me to do the smaller projects such as hats, scarves, household items such as dishcloths etc, as I am a full time student and don't have as much time as I would like to spend on charity projects, as I am currently involved in several others.

Once again thanks for sharing.

Looks like a worthy charity, right now I am nursing a very sore wrist, over did it on past projects. I will have to see if quilting bothers it.......

• 3 weeks later...

Fran, those look great! Thank you so much for posting photos. CAP will love to have those for the babies. I'm still here working away. Hubby lost his job as of the 1st so we've been busy trying to get thing taken care of before we lose our insurance. It very scary since we are still on the verge of getting hubby diagnosed with MS.

Thanks again to everyone who has written and expressed interest in helping this project!

• 3 months later...

Archived