More Walmart Info

rshseaeagle

I don't shop much at wal-mart anymore, took away alot of my husband vitamins, he gets them online now. They took away alot of crafts stuff, I will go thru my stash first then if I still need what ever I need then off I to michaels or Hancocks and online now. Aot of other stuff at wal-mart is shrinking. I have some friends they say there favorite soda is gone and favorite hand creams gone etc.

I still say one day Wal-mart is going down.

We need a Hobby Lobby ,,Ames here in Radcliff or E-town.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stopped at the Wal-mart that still sells fabric and about 1 1/2 aisles of yarn and noticed the RedHeart Sport yarn was down to $1 and a few selected RedHeart Super Saver colors were down to $1.50. I did pick up only a few skeins, of course the ones I would have liked to be on clearance weren't.Had hoped to get to the other one which just eliminated their fabric and have even less yarn but never got there today. (If I wasn't so busy in a shoe store down the road, I would have made it). Oh well, there is always tomorrow. LOL.

LI Roe

My Walmart still has fabric ,but the craft department manager told me today that the department will be losing the fabric in February when the store undergoes renovation.The yarn section will be about one third the size that it is now.The yarn is also on special.The regular price is $2.47 ; now it is $2.28 for Red Heart only.The Eco Simply Soft is now on special for $2 since it isn't selling.Walmart has brought back the regular Simply Soft with an increase in price to $2.97.

Our store had RH sport for $1 clearance. Homespun down to $3.5 clearance. SS Eco down too on clearance.

And Red Heart SS up to $2.23 (from $2).

Not sure what they're doing. But I know they get more sales from the RHSS then any of the others, as they don't have it a lot of times when I go in. SS Eco was new so that could be why, and same price as RHSS and less in the skien.

I think Vanna's Choice was there and not marked down, but can't remember now. I didn't want to spend too much time in the yarn department as I was tempted by too much! LOL

Debbi

PS: yes it's more of a money thing, they will sell things that bring in cash, just like any other store or business. That's why other stores discontinued yarn a long time ago .

I wish it weren't so and they would keep it for one reason or another, especially when others don't have another place to go to, but...

My mom works at walmart and she heard a rumor that one of the walton wives bought joann fabrics, has anyone heard this?

This might explain why a lot of the Walmarts are discontinuing their craft sections...

Our local Walmart still has a craft section, but it's tiny compared to what it once was. All the yarn looks and feels like Red Heart decided to unload their worst junk on Walmart, so that they could give the good stuff to Michaels, AC Moore, and Joanns instead.

All the yarn looks and feels like Red Heart decided to unload their worst junk on Walmart, so that they could give the good stuff to Michaels, AC Moore, and Joanns instead.

Ours isn't. It has nice RH yarn and they keep restocking. They seem to have to keep restocking white.

I went again last night and I guess it was just some of the Homespun on clearance (it was gone). And some of the Vanna White yarn on clearance. But the rest is there. However, it does look like all the of SS Eco is on clearance. I wonder if it didn't sell very well. Most people on this board weren't too found of it with the little white specks from the recycled bottles.

Debbi

Wal-Mart just drives me NuTs!!! In our area and in my Mom's area Wal-Mart seems to have the idea that if it sells A LOT get rid of it. What kind of backwards thinking is that?!?! One day last year we were looking for a certain type of canned cat food that my Mom had been getting there for awhile and were told by the pet dept. manager that the store manager had decided not to order more of it because it was selling like crazy and needed to be ordered/stocked too often. We couldn't believe it and mentioned it to the asst. manager a few days later who confirmed the story. Since then we have found that trend to be true for many items that have disappeared in several stores. What's up with that?? Our stores have gotten rid of the majority of their craft sections as well, except for one. We don't even bother with Wally-World anymore, if we need craft stuff we hit Ben Franklin.

I would love to have a Ben Franklin again! I hear alot of them are coming back.

Oooooh me too!! We had a few around Richmond, but where I live now (or where I spent the last 3 years, for that matter) there aren't any. I'm very upset about it! :P

PBLKNP, Ben Franklin is a Craft store, they carry yarns,

threads, crochet and knitting needles and hooks, and the

same goes for the crochet and knitting books.

sewing stuff including fabric and lace stuff, ribbons,

then there is art stuff paint, poster boards etc, and other

type of crafty stuff all kinds of it. Stuff like puzzles and

other type of craft stuff for little kids.

Even some baking stuff, like the molds etc..

I have lived in alot of places and some Ben Franklin

are bigger than others. We do not have one where I live. When we travel in other

states and we see a Ben Franklin We make sure to stop.

Sales are good.

During the early 1990's when alot of stores was closing

out some Ben Franklins went down too and then alot of

them followed. but I hear they are slowing coming

back since Wal-mart is doing away with so much.

I love Ben Franklin!

There's a Ben Franklin website!

http://www.benfranklincrafts.com/servlet/StoreFront

I've been tempted to order from them but haven't yet. Me thinks their shipping charges are a little steep. I wish one of these stores would open by me. I'm still pining for a Hobby Lobby too! You'd think I'd be satisfied with a Michaels, Joanns, and AC Moore all within a few mile radius. I'm so greedy. :hook

There's a Ben Franklin website!

http://www.benfranklincrafts.com/servlet/StoreFront

I've been tempted to order from them but haven't yet. Me thinks their shipping charges are a little steep. I wish one of these stores would open by me. I'm still pining for a Hobby Lobby too! You'd think I'd be satisfied with a Michaels, Joanns, and AC Moore all within a few mile radius. I'm so greedy. :hook

We're all greedy when it comes to yarn, hooks, patterns, etc.:devil

But it's a good greedy. :angel

:goodorbad

I wouldn't mind more stores by me. I have a Micheals close by (near the walmart) and a Joanns a little further away, so a special trip on a weekend. And there's supposedly another one, but its' too far.

Thanks for the link, Craw.

I'd take anything near me at this point. I have a Walmart with about 5 feet of rack space devoted to yarn (which is slowly disappearing), a Michaels 30-40min away that I can't find, and that's it. *sniff* I'll trade with you!! :yes

I have a Walmart five blocks from my home, and I only shop there if it is an emergency. They never have what I am looking for and inconsistently re-stock items. The yarn and fabrics section is depressing and if you need fabric cut you have a slim chance of them finding someone to do it for you. I have actually done it myself and then had the young man who didnt understand fabric was measured in yards give me the price slip :(

My only other choice without having to travel a great distance is Michaels. I am not thrilled with their yarn selection either, like Walmart they are inconsistent with re-stocking yarn and have a limited selection.

We use to have a Joanns and Rag Shop but both closed down.

Wal-Mart just drives me NuTs!!! In our area and in my Mom's area Wal-Mart seems to have the idea that if it sells A LOT get rid of it. What kind of backwards thinking is that?!?! One day last year we were looking for a certain type of canned cat food that my Mom had been getting there for awhile and were told by the pet dept. manager that the store manager had decided not to order more of it because it was selling like crazy and needed to be ordered/stocked too often. We couldn't believe it and mentioned it to the asst. manager a few days later who confirmed the story. Since then we have found that trend to be true for many items that have disappeared in several stores. What's up with that??

This just doesn't make any SENSE...

Oooooh me too!! We had a few around Richmond, but where I live now (or where I spent the last 3 years, for that matter) there aren't any. I'm very upset about it! :P

Not to gloat :devil but we have 5 Ben Franklin stores here in the Richmond area!!! :cheerLet me know if you're looking for something you can't find down there in Gloucester...if I can find it here I'll be glad to send it to you. US Mail shipping is MUCH cheaper than Ben Franklin's!!!!

Well, when I walked over to the closest Walmart on Monday and wandered in the little craft section, found yarn for $1.50 a skein (RedHeart Super Saver) so I picked up only a few skeins. Would you believe I walked back over today (more to check on some canning supplies for a friend) and not only were the ones I bought marked even lower, but more skeins (now down to $1 a skein from $1.50) and the large 16 oz was down to $3 a skein. Not all were marked, I kept going over to the price scanner and found some without any clearance prices on them down to $1. Yes, they jumped into my cart and refused to leave again so I had to break down and take them all home.

But there was something different. There werethe small skeins of Bernat Baby Soft down to $1.50 (passed on those for now) but right next to the aisel was a huge box of larger skeins (I think 8 oz, didn't quite look too closely) of Bernat baby yarn ready to be put on the shelves. I thought all of the yarn was slowly going away, guess not for now. And in a different section of the store, there were two small boxes of yarn on the bottom shelf with Homespun, Fiesta and Caron EcoSoft all on clearance (but still higher than I would pay right now).

Guess I'll be making another trip soon.

LI Roe

My walmart got rid of the SS Eco and brought back the Simply Soft regular. I can't remember the price, under $3 at any rate. And it looks like their putting in a bulky yarn, LionBrand Hometown USA yarn. I couldn't see a price for it, as it was just put on various shelfs and not yet organized, but they had some there.

Still has RHSS (up to $2.23) and Vanna's choice in the larger skiens. Plus the cones of cotton and thread. I am glad they still have choices at mine.

Debbi

would you believe i walked back over today (more to check on some canning supplies for a friend) and not only were the ones i bought marked even lower, but more skeins (now down to $1 a skein from $1.50) and the large 16 oz was down to $3 a skein. Not all were marked, i kept going over to the price scanner and found some without any clearance prices on them down to $1. Yes, they jumped into my cart and refused to leave again so i had to break down and take them all home.

Li roe

OK Roe, did you leave anything for the rest of us Island people? I was at one of the local Wal-marts yesterday and found less than nothing on clearance. Which one did you get lucky at? :lol

OK Roe, did you leave anything for the rest of us Island people? I was at one of the local Wal-marts yesterday and found less than nothing on clearance. Which one did you get lucky at? :lol

The one in Massapequa at the Sunrise Mall (now called Westfield but I still call it the Sunrise Mall). They don't always mark the skeins so I make little trips over to the price scanner.

LI Roe

Archived