More Walmart Info

rshseaeagle

I work for Walmart. In the photo lab and sometimes in electronics, so I'm right next to the fabrics department. As an associate of Walmart, I wanted to add a few things, if that's okay.

Most of us over in the photo and electronics departments are cross trained for the fabrics department. We can't tell you much about how to USE the fabric or anything specific about the machines and whatnot. HOWEVER, we can cut and price the fabric so you can buy it. In fact, doing that is incredibly simple and there is no excuse why any associate working in areas around that department can't be taught how to do this. As floor associates, we already have access to the hand held terminals necessary to do the pricing. So if you find that no one is coming to your calls, ask if there is someone who knows how to cut fabric in any of the surrounding areas.

If you find that no one admits to knowing how, my next suggestion is to have one of those associates personally contact a member of management. Don't have them page for one, but rather, have them have an MOD call THEM at the fabrics department phone (or electronics or whatever department you happen to be in at the time), and then have them request for him/her to come to the department.

Also, do continue to call the corporate number and let them know that you want the fabrics department to come back in those stores that have removed them. It doesn't appear like they do sometimes, but Walmart actually DOES care what it's customers want and need from their stores. It just takes getting the right people to hear your requests and re-evaluate their decisions sometimes. For example, customers at our store complained they didn't like the "overhead clutter", so our management team has given as many of us walkie-talkies as possible to cut down on the pages and has also turned off the store radio. So they really are listening to what you're wanting.

Another suggestion is that you fill out the surveys you get sometimes on your receipts. If you fill those out and leave comments letting the management team know what your experience was like and what you want to see in the store, your odds of seeing it come into play are more likely.

Walmart isn't taking away those departments because they don't want to pay the associates to work in them. In fact, the associates that work in fabrics are not in fabrics alone. In our store, the associates for fabrics must also cover the furniture and seasonal departments, so they're not always in the fabrics department and may not hear the bell (if your store has a bell at the cutting table). Many times there may only be one person in the department. They may be on their meal break if no one responds to a page.

I'm not sure if this is true for all stores nationwide, but for stores in our area, March is inventory month. Service may be a little slower than normal at this time.

Basically, my biggest suggestions are to keep in contact with management. Both on a store level and at the corporate level.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when K-Mart used to sell yarn. My mom and I went there to get it when we needed and they just one day up a stopped selling it as well. One of our Wal-Marts has it's fabric, craft area and one of our doesn't. I'm sure the one that does will lose theirs soon too. They are due for a remodel soon :(.

My Mother worked for WM for 14 yrs. She had said years ago they would be , phasing out crafts.

I went this week (WM in NC), all Red Heart was on clearance (any items ending in .00 are clearance) but all other yarns were full price. It didn't seem they were clearancing any other craft items. Maybe they are clearing RH for new stock.

It is a shame for those of us who live in BFE & have to drive 30+ min to any craft store, that WM is only concerned about bottom dollar.

• 4 weeks later...

I work at Walmart and the other night was told that they are getting rid of the craft section and putting in the party stuff, our store manager is trying to fight this change as he knows WM is the only place in town for us crafty ppl to get our supplies.

No wonder the country is having such a bad economic time with some of the decisions companies are making. For example, Wal Mart replacing the craft department with a party supply department. It seems to me in these hard times more people would be making the presents they give instead of just buying something. So it seems there would be a greater demand for a craft section than a party supply department. What are we suppose to do? Throw a party when we lose our jobs or when we are ready to move to the "poor house." Can't afford to pay your mortgage or rent or heat/cool your house/apartment or put food on your table or gas in your vehicle. That's okay!!! Just go to Wal Mart and buy party supplies and throw a party. What ever happened to common sense?

I wish there were other craft stores around where I live. :( There's a Walmart a couple towns over. All we have here is a Ben Franklin's (which is in the process of being sold) and a Woodwards (a small book/yarn/fabric store). Speaking of Woodwards, anyone have one in their area?

I was at one of my Wal-marts on Sunday, the fabric is now 50% off (started at 25%) but the lady I have become friends with said the yarn will be going on sale by the end of the month and most likely will start at 50% off since they want to get rid of it. She is going to e mail me as soon as it does. They only have about 1 3/4 aisles of it anyway. And no one really asks for party supplies, they are always looking for craft supplies.

Apparently our pleas were ignored.

LI Roe

Oh and we don't have a Woodwards where I live. We only got AC Moore a couple of years ago, still no Hobby Lobby.

The yarn department at the Walmart closest to me went from two aisles to part of one aisle. I have noticed the fabric selection getting smaller. It does seems that cards and party supplies have increased. Also scrapbooking and beading have increased.

I'll ask and report back.

It's not a huge loss to this neighborhood as there is a Hobby Lobby across the parking lot from the Walmart. Walmart's prices on yarn used to be better than HL. But there is not much different on the standard prices anymore. HL has better sales, and if you only need one thing, the 40%-off coupon helps.

Johstown PA WalMart no longer sells fabric and cut the yarn department by 3/4.

All this happened last month. I haven't been back since. And- I won't be shopping there anymore (for anything!)

When they opened here we had three small craft/fabric stores - locally owned and operated. Wally World put them out of business - now they're not interested in selling fabric.

For fabric we have a JoAnns - they're great there but it's a tiny store and a Michaels for yarn and crafts. That's it.

We were told by the manager that as each store is remodeled the fabic departments will all close.

Because a local Walmart was no longer carrying yarn, a LYS in our area began stocking Berocco's acrylic yarn (Comfort) at reasonable prices for people.

Because a local Walmart was no longer carrying yarn, a LYS in our area began stocking Berocco's acrylic yarn (Comfort) at reasonable prices for people.

That is great.

If we have them we can tell LYS's and other stores that the local walmart isn't carrying yarn or it's cut down, then they may carry more. Let them know that you buy yarn regularly (maybe hint if you're a yarn addict:blush).

I found a joann's close to me, but not real close (no after work trips:P) and I would love one near me, this superstore has tons of yarns in various brands. I really enjoyed going in that yarn section:manyheart

Debbi

Walmart came to my town about 13 years ago. Prices were nice. Sales were great. Place was organized and items could be easly found. Not now. Not since the remodeling. I can't believe they got rid if the fabric and bearly have any yarn at all. I have an Acmoore in town an a Joanne Fabrics down the highway. but who wants to pay double the price for yarn and fabric. who can efford it?:think

Hi-my walmart super center is doing the same-in fact my fabric lady is doing double duty in hardware-which stinks-

Have you tried Walmart.com or asked manager to do a locate for you-they used to find it and ship it in for free if the item wasnt instock at your store. My best friend is a walmart employee and he suggested it to me once and it worked for another fabric item I needed. I wish you luck:manyheart Yarneystone 18

I've stopped going to Walmart for practically everything, including yarn...I just don't get the bang for my buck like I used to, so I just shop elsewhere.

I've been warned (by a friendly associate we see almost every time we go there) that our Walmart's craft section will be remodeled out of existence...but nothing is getting marked down to clear it out yet...(we also have Hobby Lobby and Michaels fairly nearby so this is no surprise, really) I hope they mark down the Peaches and Creme cones! I'd seriously collect some white and offwhite then!! :yes:lol

I just don't understand WM's reasoning in getting rid of the crafts etc dept's.

I don't often buy my yarn at WM because sometimes it's a better deal at Michaels or JoAnn's. But those two stores are about an hour away from me.

It stinks.

I just don't understand WM's reasoning in getting rid of the crafts etc dept's.

I don't often buy my yarn at WM because sometimes it's a better deal at Michaels or JoAnn's. But those two stores are about an hour away from me.

It stinks.

This was discussed in another post. It's business. Other stores have closed down their craft/yarn sections too. I remember my mom bought yarn from kmart. I bought yarn from ShopKo. Both do not sell it anymore. And there were other stores too.

I suppose anyone with an estay shop or other crochet shop would understand. Or any business. You can't put out money for space for items that you're not selling. You change it to items that will make you a profit. Business.

I know it stinks (well not for me, mine has it still and hopefully a long time--but others near me don't have much). I would hate it too. I wouldn't mind ShopKo still selling it, they're closer to me, easy on the way home to pick some up, but nope...

Debbi

In Odessa, the Wal-Mart on the East side of town hasn't remodeled...yet...:worried and they still have their usual selection of Red Heart, the entire fabric area, and all of their craft aisles. However, at the Wal-Mart on the West side of town, they've remodeled and all of the yarn and fabric is gone, the only thing left is minimal scrapbooking supplies and a LOT of wedding stuff. As for the Wal-Marts in Midland, they've both remodeled. So that leaves me Hobby Lobby and Michael's in Odessa, and Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and Hancock's in Midland.... and the Hancock's in Midland is pathetic... maybe 4 small rows of yarn, overpriced by about $2-$3/skein compared to Hobby Lobby or Michael's. Hopefully they'll continue to satisfy my yarn addiction :lol

• 2 weeks later...

I had heard Walmart was going to stop carrying fabrics. I know they have cut way back on their yarn. At one point I heard they were going to possibly carry Mill Ends...but haven't seen any sign of that. We do have Joann's, Michaels, AC Moore and now Hobby Lobby within driving distance. And there is always Ebay.

I'm not sure I understand why the reduction in yarn..:no

~cadie

~cadie

My opinion, as I stated above, it's just business. If you sold crochet and something wasn't selling you wouldn't make it again, if you were really in it to earn a profit. Or if you earned not what it was worth.

~cadie

Because a business is there to make money. As a corporation, Wal-Mart's has a fiduciary responsibility to make as much money for its shareholders as it can. That's just the way the business world works.

Wal-Mart will carry some things and departments at a loss, because they have statistics that show those things bring a high enough volume of people into the store (who may not otherwise be there) who spend a high enough volume of money so that the store is making a profit well beyond the loss caused by those particular items.

From the store's perspective, a loss isn't just selling an item below what it cost them. There's also opportunity loss.

Let's say that in the same amount of floor space in the store you could:

1. Sell X units of Product A for a profit of $1,000 OR
  2. Sell Y units of Product B for a profit of $10,000.

Which are you going to want to sell? Product B obviously.

The only reason to consider selling Product A would be if the people buying it were buying enough other things to equal or exceed 1) the $9,000 profit difference between Product A and B AND 2) the additional revenue that the people buying Product B are spending in the stores.

If the Product B people result in more profits throughout the rest of the store, then the store is going to sell Product B. If the Product A people result in more profit throughout the rest of the store, the store will sell Product A.

It all boils down to what brings in the most money overall for the store.

Oh, I forgot to say that many times the decision that maximizes revenue for the store really stinks from the customer's perspective! :angry So it's not that I don't empathize and agree with everyone who would like Wal-Mart to keep a very well-stocked diverse yarn department. It's just that I can see why Wal-Mart isn't doing that.

Also, the state of the economy has changed from the time when they gathered all the data to make the decision to reduce/eliminate yarn departments. With the current state of the economy, I do believe people are going to be more inclined to spend money on yarn to make things than they are to buy the party supplies that Wal-Mart was going to stock instead at one time. So as time goes by, Wal-Mart may eventually wake up to that fact, and reverse their decision about their yarn department. But on the corporate level, it takes a LONG time to gather the new data to convince their bean-counters that they should change their decision and then actually change their plans!

Oh, I forgot to say that many times the decision that maximizes revenue for the store really stinks from the customer's perspective! :angry So it's not that I don't empathize and agree with everyone who would like Wal-Mart to keep a very well-stocked diverse yarn department. It's just that I can see why Wal-Mart isn't doing that.

I agree with this. I think it stinks for the customers who buy yarn and fabric. And I can see why.

I am one of the lucky few (at the moment) my walmart expanded their red heart super saver colors and have kept their yarn. Expect when I wanted a size 4 steel crochet hook, could not find one, they has size 0, 7 and 10. They did reduce fabric by at least 50% (but I only need it for purse linings, so I'm okay, I can use white). And the beading section is across from the yarn. All that was reduced. So we do have yarn but actually not as much and not as much selection.

Debbi

Update: At my walmart this week, the fabric was half gone...and the rest was half off. It was also past time to pick out fabric for DD's annual birthday pillow case, and we found something she loved, so we got a really good deal. (and bonus...found some fleece for travel pillows) The Dept Manager was cutting (I actually had to wait in line) and I asked her about the rest of the department...she's with the understanding that (at least for now) all By-The-Yard product is being eliminated, the yarn will be reduced, but they'll still have some, and some crafty stuff. And here I was hoping to score discounts on Sugar and Creme cones! LOL That cart would have been FULL then :D oh well...I check next time. :D you never know.

Archived