yarn shop

upc2000

So back in November a friend of mine gave me a gift card to a yarn shop. I was super excited! I had never been to a yarn shop; I have picked up all my yarn at one of those box stores.

So this past Friday I finally found some time to go to it. I walked in I had never seen so much yarn in my whole life, and there wasn’t one kind that I had ever seen before. (I’m used to lion brand, and Caron, you know stuff like that.)

I was a little disappointed I was hoping to find some really cool crochet books or patters. They had 2 books both were on making stuffed animals, and one small box of patters all of which I have seen ones like it before online or where totally UGLY! The woman working at the store told me that people knit more then people crochet.

The woman working at the store didn’t know a thing about crocheting at all either!

Some how during my visit there she talked me into teaching me how to Knit, I was kind of excited about that because it is something that I would like to learn I told her that I would love to learn how to make those felted bags that I always see people with. So I ended up buying 4 things of Wool yarn which was more then I had ever paid for yarn in my whole life. She started to teach me, I think I caught on really fast to what she was telling me although she taught me the easiest way to cast on and said it shouldn’t look as bad as it does now because I’m going to felt the bag. Then they didn’t have the right size needles so she had me using the next size up, and before I left I had to buy the $25 book that had the pattern in it that she was teaching me! Sigh….

While I was in the shop 3 people came in asking about Crochet things she said only 1 or 2 people work there that know how to crochet and that they should come back then. Then she told me that she should take names about how many people come in asking about it because it seems to be coming more and more popular.

Are most yarn shops all about Knitting?

Yeah, most yarn shops are mostly about knitting. It's really kinda sad. Something else that's sad... the only yarn shop I knew about that had crochet patterns within a 40 mile radius of our house just went out of business. They had LOTS of knitting stuff but they had a decent amount of crochet stuff too. I was really disappointed to find out that they are gone.

Julee

That does suck!

What I thought was funny was while I was there when people had crochet questions the woman working there asked me.

I thought there for a sec I might be teaching a woman how to Crochet because that's what she wanted to learn how to do.

They sent her away and told her to come back on Tuesday.

They didn't even have a book on how to crochet!

I'm not all that great! I have only made a few things I have only been crocheting for about a year....

It took me about a year to do my 1st project. Someone to thought me how only thought me how to do the slip stitch, so I made a whole throw using that.

I'm not all that great! I have only made a few things I have only been crocheting for about a year....

It took me about a year to do my 1st project. Someone to thought me how only thought me how to do the slip stitch, so I made a whole throw using that.

Wow, That would have taken forever!! I only use sl st to join rnds and to add something to a pattern.

Julee

I also went to a yarn shop on Saturday for the first time ever! I can usually be found in AC Moore, Joanns, Michaels, or I shop online but was never in a LYS. I didn't see any crochet patterns. There were some hooks but not a big selection and they were expensive. Most things there were expensive. I picked up the first ball of yarn that caught my eye. A little tiny thing of about 50-75 yards for $19.99. :eek:lol I didn't buy it but it was pretty. I'd never seen any of the yarns they were selling before either. I came out totally empty handed. :( I went in looking for size 8 needles and they didn't have them so pooh! I ordered them online. I'll go back there because it was fun to look around and pet all the yarn and I'm sure I'll find an excuse to buy some there sometime. Except I'll have to wait until I win the lottery or something. :blush LOL Maybe with some simple planning I'll be able to afford it. Like: "ok, nobody eats this month! I want to make a scarf!" :hook

I love yarn shops. But, there have been a few I wasn't a big fan of. I like the ones where I can walk in and pet the yarns without being bothered. Some places try to be too pushy and sell, sell, sell. That's not what I need when I go to a yarn shop. I also like the ones that invite you to sit and :crocheting or :knit.

Yeah, well I think "nobody wants to crochet" is the Big Lie of Yarn Shops. Look how many people asked about crochet just while you were there. 3, and you make 4. That's does not sound like people have no interest in crochet. In fact they do. WE do.

So why are these places having such a hard time admitting there are just as many people interested in crocheting as in knitting? Why keep insisting the interest isn't there in the face of the interest IS there?

Yeah, well I think "nobody wants to crochet" is the Big Lie of Yarn Shops. Look how many people asked about crochet just while you were there. 3, and you make 4. That's does not sound like people have no interest in crochet. In fact they do. WE do.

So why are these places having such a hard time admitting there are just as many people interested in crocheting as in knitting? Why keep insisting the interest isn't there in the face of the interest IS there?

naivete?

I agree, too many shops have this problem. I think maybe though, there's enough of us, that a change is in the future...at least too some extent...

So true, So true!!

Plus maybe if they had Crochet stuff there I wouldn't have spent $80 on Knitting things. Plus they told me to come back later to teach me how to do a button hole for the handles to my bag. :think Part of me doesn't want to go back because I'm worried I'll spend more $$$. $80 was way to much money! Just for one thing! Plus when I go back it's going to cost me $5 more just to learn the button holes! Sigh...

I think I need to start a knitting a crochet club, since none of my friends want to learn with me. :(

All of the yarn shops I have been in are very much Knit Shops. Although the yarn is beautiful is is also very expensive. I'm not sure I could justify spending so much on any project. I spen a lot of time with my friend "clearance".

A friend of mine knits and she recently went to a yarn shop and purchased a hard cover pattern book and yarn $87.00 later, just to make a pair of fingerless gloves and when she told me the cost I just laughed inside.

The woman at the Yarn Shop should be ashamed of herself. Anyone who has knit or crocheted any length of time knows full well that newer people are not aware of yarn companies, quality, prices, etc. I have heard so many people say they were talked into very pricey yarn. I have experienced it myself.

I think it takes a lot of gall to sell $15 a skein and up yarn, to people who don't understand what they are even buying. They don't realize the hand-painted wool they just bought will shrink and the color might run. Yarn shops don't carry much acrylic, so if that's what you want or need, make sure that's what you are buying. A woman kept trying to sell me hand dyed wools because they were so pretty, even after I told her I was allergic. I guess she thought she would hook me on the gorgeous colors.

I'm practically gasping with outrage thinking this woman had you buy pricey wool yarn for your first knit project, to be felted no less! You just don't do that! And then she had the nerve to charge you $25 for the book? I think I'd only step back in her shop to throw it all back on the counter and demand my money back!

Do you know how much wool yarn you can buy at the dollar store that you can felt, for the amount of money you spent there? You could make bags to your heart's delight until you get sick of making them, and felt them all.

Ohhhh, I'd get mad.

• 1 month later...
I also went to a yarn shop on Saturday for the first time ever! I can usually be found in AC Moore, Joanns, Michaels, or I shop online but was never in a LYS. I didn't see any crochet patterns. There were some hooks but not a big selection and they were expensive. Most things there were expensive. I picked up the first ball of yarn that caught my eye. A little tiny thing of about 50-75 yards for $19.99. :eek:lol I didn't buy it but it was pretty. I'd never seen any of the yarns they were selling before either. I came out totally empty handed. :( I went in looking for size 8 needles and they didn't have them so pooh! I ordered them online. I'll go back there because it was fun to look around and pet all the yarn and I'm sure I'll find an excuse to buy some there sometime. Except I'll have to wait until I win the lottery or something. :blush LOL Maybe with some simple planning I'll be able to afford it. Like: "ok, nobody eats this month! I want to make a scarf!" :hook

lol!! i was rolling on the floor with "well no one eats this month i want to make a scarf!" thats great thank you :)

So true, So true!!

Plus maybe if they had Crochet stuff there I wouldn't have spent $80 on Knitting things. Plus they told me to come back later to teach me how to do a button hole for the handles to my bag. :think Part of me doesn't want to go back because I'm worried I'll spend more $$$. $80 was way to much money! Just for one thing! Plus when I go back it's going to cost me $5 more just to learn the button holes! Sigh...

I think I need to start a knitting a crochet club, since none of my friends want to learn with me. :(

I learned to knit by watching You Tube videos. Also Knittinghelp.com has tons of help. There is also a knitting group on Crochetville that has experienced knitters that can help you. Just another option!

• 4 months later...

Oh my, ya'll are making me miss my LYS that went out of business. They were primarily knitting, but had a healthy respect for crochet. They also had a basket of one ball left overs at half price. She would put in all of the left over unmatching dye lots and such. It was great, because 1 skein was often enough for a hat, and they made great gifts. They carried mostly wool, alpaca, sock yarn, and specialty stuff but there was also some nice acrylic and such. The quilting store that was connected to them next door is going to carry some yarns and whatnot now, and I am kind of excited to see what she gets in. I will support them as much as my meeger yarn budget will allow. I'd hate to end up with just Wal-Mart, Joanne and Michaels as options in this town...

wow Close thing to yarn shop here is Joanns and Michaels lol... I never knitted. only crochet.. I guess my uncle knos how.. (what dosn't that man do lol). i'd like to learn but i hd hard nufft im learning to crochet LOL

Archived