Examples of Pooling - Good and Bad

photojenic

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

What an interesting thread this is and such beautiful examples of pooling, along with some gorgeous creations!!! :manyheart

I've been amazed at the differences with crocheting vs. knitting the very same variegated yarn, with such striking results. Sometimes I like certain yarns better in knit than I do in crocheting and vice versa. I've got quite a few examples of pooling in my Flickr Album, if you'd like to look. The examples are mostly towards the bottom of the first page and the beginning of the second.

I think the reason I like variegated yarn so well is that there's always that excitement to see the pooling, seeing how it's going to turn out when it's finished, sometimes it keeps me going row after row, long after I thought it was time to put the project away for the night, lol! I don't think I've ever had one that I felt was ugly when it was done, maybe because no matter what it is or how it turns out, anything handcrafted is beautiful to me.

I so agree with you about waiting excitedly so see the colour effects. Also about the different results when knitting with the same yarn.

I am always looking for ways of using shaded thread appropriately (i.e. ensuring the shading doesn't overwhelm the stitch pattern).

This is a purse I made back in April. I made up the pattern as I went along. The bottom is round and it has a drawstring at the top. It looks a little wonky because I have stuff in it but this was the best view to see the pattern.

post-23834-135897436332_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
I did this with a Bernat camouflage yarn and half-double crochet:

IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

I know this is quite an old post but I have never read this forum until tonight. I just wanted to say that this piece is awesome! The pattern that the variegated yarn formed looks for all the world like argyle! I love it!

• 6 years later...

Here is a sample of "disasters" outcome! LOL

I still did not give that hat to that little girl because of that. According to me that is: ugly & shocking!.

Krys

DSC00590.JPG

I would have preferred it to be more broken up myself but this side of the hat doesnt look so bad and those buttons really help make it work.

I would have preferred it to be more broken up myself but this side of the hat doesnt look so bad and those buttons really help make it work.

Brenda all sides on that beanie have a very similar look.

I think if only would crochet that with sc stitch instead of dc (as I did) it could look a better, maybe not. That yarn on those skeins looks very nice ( I still have few of them left). What a disappointment with that beanie LOL. I never expected anything like that. I am not a long time crocheter. It looks that I still need to Learn a LOT!. I should had frog that before finishing.

I might make a Tunnel for a cat just to use up that yarn. I would add one or two of "plain" color yarn to that, maybe blue. To work with 2 or 3 strands at the same time. I need to try that on a swatch and see how that would look..?

Krys

Krys I have pulled out many a stitch because I didnt like the way the colors pooled. I about decided I dont like multi colored yarns because of that but every so often I get suckered in. It usually looks pretty good to do just a few rows of the multi and then do a row or two of solid. You know that little girl would probably have loved this hat. Its so pretty and bright. I love the buttons on it. I know its hard when I work with colors I dont like. I might hate it but someone else just loves it.

Since this was bumped up from 2009, how about something new on tips for "planned color pooling" at Repeat Crafter Me? She did a great job on her tutorial.  :)

Since this was bumped up from 2009, how about something new on tips for "planned color pooling" at Repeat Crafter Me? She did a great job on her tutorial.   :)

That scarf looks great on that picture in that blog. I do not think  that "trick" would work on a beanie. Because of increases.

Six skeins yarn was used for that scarf. A lot of waist, unless those skeins are very small (not much yardage).

Krys

Krys I have pulled out many a stitch because I didnt like the way the colors pooled. I about decided I dont like multi colored yarns because of that but every so often I get suckered in. It usually looks pretty good to do just a few rows of the multi and then do a row or two of solid. You know that little girl would probably have loved this hat. Its so pretty and bright. I love the buttons on it. I know its hard when I work with colors I dont like. I might hate it but someone else just loves it.

Brenda you could be right. With little girls we never know...

I was thinking just to "play" that safe LOL. I probably should show her a picture of that beanie in front of her mother. And ask her if she would like me to make that for her?. At the same time I would see her mother face expression LOL, maybe even her opinion.

Krys

PS As for me just looking at that beanie gives me a headache.  That is why it is in a plastic bag out of site! :rofl  

USpolishgirl, on 28 Sept 2016 - 8:25 PM, said:USpolishgirl, on 28 Sept 2016 - 8:25 PM, said:

That scarf looks great on that picture in that blog. I do not think  that "trick" would work on a beanie. Because of increases.

Six skeins yarn was used for that scarf. A lot of waist, unless those skeins are very small (not much yardage).

Krys

Good point about waste. I'm wondering if the waste couldn't be left as tails, then used as the border.

As far as with a hat, the same technique on the color would probably apply. Big guess there.

Good point about waste. I'm wondering if the waste couldn't be left as tails, then used as the border.

As far as with a hat, the same technique on the color would probably apply. Big guess there.

That probably would work in some cases.. :)

Krys

I guess Color Pooling is becoming popular. Just now saw this "Guide" on Red Heart's FB. The more info the merrier- Yay for us!

Archived