Examples of Pooling - Good and Bad

photojenic

I LOVE this potholder Julee. What kind of yarn did you use?

Ok, I figured out what the name of the color is: The name of the color is "Fiesta Ombre". The brand is Peaches and Cream.

Julee

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't you pretty much get one or the other every time you use a varigated yarn? And doesn't flashing show up more often if something is done in-the-round?

Pooling with a Paton's Merino varigated:

344397453.jpg

Pooling with JoAnn's Rainbow Boucle:

302946397.jpg

I'm not absolutely certain which you'd call this. It's like a pooled flash!

Omega Nylon:

280628547.jpg

Flashing with Omega Nylon:

280370760.jpg

Ok, I figured out what the name of the color is: The name of the color is "Fiesta Ombre". The brand is Peaches and Cream.

Julee

Thank you, Julee. I'm going to look for it. I really love the bright colors. :hook

Hi! I just love all the great projects you've posted.

I'd like to add my own,

th_DSCN0001-11.jpg

th_DSCN0006-6.jpg

It's Patons SWS.

Thanks for looking,

Oh, is that the Clapotchet? (I think I spelled that wrong). I've been wanting to make one. Yours is beautiful!

I don't know if this is pooling, but I made this afghan with Bernet Baby Coordinates and it came out with this interesting pattern.

blanketwithpooling.jpg

Wow, that is crazy that it came out like that! :eek It's pretty cool, though. I guess you'd call that a "happy accident"!

• 3 weeks later...

I thought i posted this already, but seems it got lost.

I used some variegated yarns that gave me some interesting patterns. this is boucle... it gave some sort of diagonal design (dont know if its very evident in the picture):

3423792195_7b83d58feb.jpg?v=0.

Same yarn, different colour and pattern, gave vertical bars every 5-6 rows:

3424600626_1a79c6f20a.jpg?v=0

this yarn is in fact a variegated cotton cord that i paid only 1 dollar at the factory sale, it pooled quite nicely and simmetrically, but one of the halves seems to have much more white in it :(. i wear it all the time anyway because it fits me perfectly and its very comfortable:

FRONT

3423793697_ce0c912618.jpg?v=0

BACK

3423794315_71e491e8f5.jpg?v=0

• 5 weeks later...

Here is a dishcloth I made recently - I like the look of the big "O" on the outside, and I can't decide if the blue looks like a candlestick or the letter "I". The yarn is Elmore Pisgah cotton on a cone in a variegated shaded pastels color. The discloth still needs the ends woven in - don't mind the straggler showing in the photo!

post-14127-135897403783_thumb.jpg

Here is a dishcloth I made recently - I like the look of the big "O" on the outside, and I can't decide if the blue looks like a candlestick or the letter "I". The yarn is Elmore Pisgah cotton on a cone in a variegated shaded pastels color. The discloth still needs the ends woven in - don't mind the straggler showing in the photo!

That is SO cool! I've never seen pooling with two different patterns using two different colors. That's awesome! :manyheart

I love all the examples posted, and I love working with shaded thread, though I use it judiciously. Actually, I can't think why pooling should be considered bad at all. If you use shaded thread you are bound to get a variety of effects, all interesting. Seeing how it turns out is great fun.Those who don't like unpredictable effects can avoid them by using threads in plain colours, and working in stripes, or to a pattern of their choice.

I love all the examples posted, and I love working with shaded thread, though I use it judiciously. Actually, I can't think why pooling should be considered bad at all. If you use shaded thread you are bound to get a variety of effects, all interesting. Seeing how it turns out is great fun.Those who don't like unpredictable effects can avoid them by using threads in plain colours, and working in stripes, or to a pattern of their choice.

Bad pooling would be something like...colors in a top that pool unflateringly over a part of your body you'd rather not emphasis. *LOL*

• 2 months later...

A-ha!

I finally have another project to share! I picked up some clearance skeins of Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton several years ago. I decided recently to use the yarn to make a bunch of cleaning clothes (for cleaning the house instead of dishes or shower), because DH keeps forgetting which ones to use on what. This way he’ll always know that the B&W ones are for “dirty” jobs. ;) Anyway, I started on my first cloth last night and it turned out like this.

The pooling was completely unintentional. In fact, I almost ripped it out about an inch into it because it’s really too big (10x10), but I loved the pattern that was showing up and went with it. lol

post-798-135897424754_thumb.jpg

I made several things with variegated yarn with interesting results:

This rug has been posted before. It's a variegated eyelash yarn:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/bethintx/BlueStarRugsm.jpg

Here is a purse made with peaches & cream:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/bethintx/Janspurse2.jpg

This example shows when the colors come out right:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/bethintx/Buillonbootiesblanket.jpg

This is a tote bag I made for an exchange: I love the effect:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/bethintx/crafts/006.jpg

Archived