Examples of Pooling - Good and Bad

photojenic

Over at Ravelry they have a thread showing off projects that have pooling and flashing. The only problem is that 90% or so of the projects are knitted. While I have been enjoying that thread very much, I'd love to see more crochet projects.

So I'm starting a pictoral thread about pooling and flashing, the good, the bad and the ugly. Actually, much of the "good/bad" thoughts about it are in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes something we hate other people like! Some projects look great when pooled, and other projects....not so much. LOL! Best of all, maybe we can learn how to avoid, or get the type of pooling/flashing we want from certain yarns based on their weight and pattern.

Show us your pooling/flashing projects! Both crochet and knitted projects are welcome!

Definitions:

Pooling: when colors of yarn blob or pool in a certain area.

Flashing: when colors show up as zig-zags or lightening bolts.

(Mods: I hope this forum is okay. I tried to pick a show-and-tell that seemed to fit the theme.)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20090104_1105.jpg

This is an example of pooling. My DD wanted the Stone City Scarf from the Winter (or maybe Fall) Interweave Crochet. She picked out the sock yarn and I was really wary about how it would look. The example in the mag was made with Noro Kureyon Sock, which is simple GORGEOUS anyway.

But in the end the pooling looked kinda cool and she likes it a lot. Which is most important since she is so incredible picky about her clothes. :hook

I don't think I understand what it is. I do know you made a pretty scarf. :)

But I don't understand pooling. I see the color striping for half rows then a few rows of the same yarn--

which is pooling? staying with the same color for a few rows or different colors mingled in?

The scarf wasn't the best example. lol..

Pooling would be something like a blanket or dishcloth that developed an argyle type pattern because of the way the colors pooled together. Or a big blob of color that seems to appear out of nowhere.

I did a dishcloth that has the craziest pooling, it was a variegated cotton yarn. By absolutely no effort of mine the bright pink in the yarn formed a big X across the cloth. I don't have any pics to show of it though and I've used it so much the colors have faded to nothing.

Thanks for starting this thread - I LOVE to look at the examples on Ravelry, but as you said, most of them are knitted, so it will be cool if people post pics of crocheted items with interesting (or not) pooling. Oh, and if you post a pic, be sure to mention which yarn and/or pattern you used, when possible!

I've had some dishclothes come up with nice argyle patterns before - but I don't have any on hand to post - gave 'em all away.

Actually, I think the bernat camo has a tendency to work that way. Someone sent me a couple of skeins, and it did very much the same thing, except that I wanted a camo effect, and the argyle was irritating. When I get a chance, I'll add some pictures to this thread.

I actually posted this over at the Ravelry thread, but I'll post it here too:

mittens-thumb.jpg

I'd already posted it as a show and tell a while back, so I just linked the pic to the thread which has all the details.

I made a pair of wrist warmers with rr zebra, and they sooooo didn't match each other. It was totally amazing that they came from the same skein. They got "stolen" by my 15 yr old cousin, so unfortunetly, there's no pic :( One was very neat, even skinny horizontal stripes, and the other was huge diagonal spiral stripes.

Not sure if this counts... but this was one entire skein of Rainbow Boucle. It patterned out pretty neat....

DCP02889.jpg

:heart

:mug

I'm not sure what yarn this is (I was using leftovers from someone else's project, hence the two-tone style), but this scarf has some pretty good pooling:

th_crochet_zigzagscarf.png

i think the one on the right is RHSS Ocen, I am not sure about the other color. It doesn't look bad though!

Over at Ravelry they have a thread showing off projects that have pooling and flashing. The only problem is that 90% or so of the projects are knitted. While I have been enjoying that thread very much, I'd love to see more crochet projects.

So I'm starting a pictoral thread about pooling and flashing, the good, the bad and the ugly. Actually, much of the "good/bad" thoughts about it are in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes something we hate other people like! Some projects look great when pooled, and other projects....not so much. LOL! Best of all, maybe we can learn how to avoid, or get the type of pooling/flashing we want from certain yarns based on their weight and pattern.

Show us your pooling/flashing projects! Both crochet and knitted projects are welcome!

Definitions:

Pooling: when colors of yarn blob or pool in a certain area.

Flashing: when colors show up as zig-zags or lightening bolts.

(Mods: I hope this forum is okay. I tried to pick a show-and-tell that seemed to fit the theme.)

I get all sorts of awesome pooling and flashing all of the time. I didn't know there were words for it though.

I'll get some pics and post 'em here some time.

Way Cool!!

Julee

oh

I have always liked the look of Argyle achieved in knitting. I find that a lot of the multi colored yarns when worked in single crochet can achieve this look (pooling?), as long as the colors are limited to 3 or 4 colors, and the length of each color is long enough. Hard to tell from just looking at the skein in the store, and needs a lot of experimenting to achieve the right look.

Here are a couple of pictures of a smaller pot holder I made for my mom:

Front:

moms3a.jpg

Back

moms3b.jpg

I LOVE how the colors worked out in this one.

Julee

I LOVE this potholder Julee. What kind of yarn did you use?

I LOVE this potholder Julee. What kind of yarn did you use?

Oooh, It's something my mom got from walmart. It's Peaches and Cream. I forget what color it is though. Sorry. If I can find the tag later I'll let you know.

Thanks

Julee

Archived