Awareness Ribbon Granny Square

cloudcat

Question

Greetings, Y'All!

I'm seeking an Awareness Ribbon framed in a Granny Square--just the one ribbon-twist, suspended in a square. I've found a couple of very nice crochet ribbons, but they're singeltons, meant to be mounted on a pin, not to be included on an afghan(unless you treat it as an applique). Personally, I like my crochet like I do my quilts: Pieced, as it were.

My Mum recently found a lump in her breast and in a preemptive strike (it IS confirmed as actual cancer) she is having her entire left breast removed. Her twin had breast cancer last year and went through chemo & radiation, and Mum would as soon that not be necessary. My Aunt is doing fine now and I believe (cross fingers, lots of prayers) that Mum will be too, but MON is the day and it's a little scary for all of us.

Can anybody help me with this?

Much Appreciated!

10 answers to this question

Thanks, Ma'am. I've never done the afghan stitch (?) before, but I'll give it a try. I'd still like to find a suspended one if there's one to be had out there though. I've seen a Celtic Knot done that way and it seems someone should have figured one for a ribbon--

--which reminds me, maybe there's one in the book the knot is in...? If it is I'll see if I can post a reference, for future purposes.

Update on the Awareness Ribbon--I went back and checked "201 Crochet Motifs, Blocks, Projects and Ideas"; on p84 there is a Bow Block. While this is closer to what I have in mind, it's a double-loop bow instead of the traditional one-loop twist.

My biggest problem is that I even have a pattern for the single-loop ribbon itself, I just don't have the expertise yet) to figure out how to suspend it in a frame!

I like the third one--I've been threatening to try fillet-crochet, as well. But I'd still like to do a suspended one if possible (boy, do I sound particular, or what...? Must be my streak of OCD coming out--!)

Thanks Pepsi (Ooh, my favorite drink, by the by); I really appreciate it. :) If I run across one somewhere in the meantime, I'll make sure I post the site (or reference) for it.

Much Appreciated!

There is a special book of patterns called Think Pink at Annie's Attic which I purchased to make several things for my Aunt who is a survior twice now from this dreaded disease Cancer. My prayers are with you at this time may all be well for your Mum. When this book is purchase proceeds go to Cancer research. Here is the link.

http://www.anniesattic.com/list.html?criteria=think+pink&go.x=11&go.y=2

Update on Mum: She's out of the hospital and isdoing well. They took the entire left breast (her choice); they also took 2 lymph nodes for further testing. So far the prognosis looks good.

Thanks to all for the prayers, I'm very sure they helped! :)

In the meantime, until I can find the pattern (or figure out how to extrapolate) that I was after, I am instead constructing for her a "Shrawler", which is a cross between a shawl and a sweater, in Yarn Bee Cameo Bulky, in "Seashell", which is a soft peachy-pink. I have one I did for myself in Lion Homespun, Barley, which I have gotten many compliments on. The lady that made the pattern is Shelle Hendrix Cain, at crochetcabin.bravehost.com. If I get a chance I'll post a pic of each.

Thanks Much,

CloudCat

Archived