onesmallthing.org

Ro

...A new way to look at giving in crafts, for those who haven't tried it, don't have a lot of time to make many projects, or don't know where to send the kind of item they'd like to make.

Please check it out :) I only blogged about it this afternoon and already we've got 8 people who have decided what their One Thing is going to be. :yay

You don't have to do everything to make a difference. Just do one thing.

Together, all those one things will really add up, and all while raising the profile of the arts of crochet, knitting and sewing and quilting too.

onesmallthing.org

hugs

Ro

What a great idea, Ro, and how true. It's overwhelming sometimes thinking that to make a difference I'd have to spend money I don't have for supplies, take time away from my family/other obligations to meet this new obligation, etc. This is a very nice way of making it manageable.

It's a really great idea! I won't sign up for your scheme, but will do a scarf for the Children's Cancer unit local to me in Somerset. So I will be kind of joining in!:yay

As badly done by as we all feel from time to time we need to realise there are PLENTY of folk in a much worse position than ourselves. This was highlighted here in the UK on thursday when terrorists attacked London. :(

Alison

Dear Motherofallneedles,

What you're doing is wonderful, and definitely a great example of how people can 'join in' and contribute wherever they want.

You will inspire lots of others by your donation to the hospital there and you're our first International "One Thing" person! :)

I was so saddened as was everyone by the events in the UK this past week, I would love to donate something to the children's hospital there by you in honor of the people who have suffered in this horrible event.

If you can share a mailing address for the hospital there, please let me know, and I will make up a little something to send to them. Otherwise I will start looking around for UK children's hospitals I can send something to.

The timing on your post was perfect, last night as I was falling asleep I was thinking that I wanted to send something to the UK this way. Thank you :)

Thanks Lani, that is exactly what I was trying to do, help people see that it doesn't have to take over your life to give something :)

Thank you everybody!!!!

hugs

Ro

I'm so excited, so many people are getting out their hooks and doing their Thing! :)

I just heard from Pamela that they're pledging to make some hats for Pine Ridge as their One Thing. That is so exciting! Other projects people are doing include toys, purses and hats for Ronald McDonald House, a blanket for a homeless shelter, snuggles for the Humane Society, chemo caps...so many wonderful things!

I am continuing to research different and unusual places to donate items, too. I just heard from a lady this morning who works with adoptive parents travelling to China to pick up their children, and they take blankets (sewn, quilted, fleece or crocheted , knit) with them and leave them at the Orphanage. This is much better than trying to ship things as it is very hard to get packages to the right place in China.

Other places I am looking into adding to my list include homes for homeless pregnant mothers, other international organizations for orphans...I'm just getting started. But I hope to build a wide and long base of information on places and ways to do a small thing that will really be a huge thing to the person who receives the item.

hugs

Ro

Finally! I'm so excited.

I've been emailing and emailing trying to find a contact to send things to orphans in Africa since a couple c'villers asked me about it. No one had been returning my emails, until today!

There's a group called Sunbeam Kids in South Africa, you can read about them here: http://www.sunbeamkids.org.za/home.htm

Helen emailed me and said that blankets are always needed and toys are most welcome. She said something that made me sad, that they often get contacted by groups and people wanting to donate but then they see the cost of postage and change their mind :( She also pointed out that it would likely be less of a burden on people if they sent small individual donations and paid the postage personally, and that, I told her, was my thought exactly!

So I'm looking up ways to send things and will report back to you guys on the best deal I can get. I'm thinking post office global priority mail envelopes might be the way to go: I have to pay a visit to my buddy Tim at the post office this weekend and see what he recommends. I would ship one blanket at a time myself because that way if for some reason the package doesn't go through there isn't a whole bunch missing.

I bet it wouldn't be too bad to send small crocheted toys...probably not too bad at all....just something for everybody to keep in mind if they're looking for a little thing that makes a big difference to a child!

hugs

Ro

Ro

I think that onesmallthing.org is one of the best ideas I've ever seen! Over the years I've tried to do so many craft for charity projects and it just seems to take over everything. There is such a need out there and as one person I don't always feel like I am making a difference. You're a gem.

Hi Faith, thank you for your post, that is just how I was hoping people would feel about it! :hug

I've been working on organizing my list and backing up the file so I can keep it safe! Also I've been finishing up some "Things" for Fiona's UK drive and then I am gonna get started on a blanket for the Sunbeam Kids Foundation (AIDS Orphans in Africa.)

Remember, here is just a few of the categories in which I now have contacts if anyone is interested in making their 'thing"...

AIDS Orphans and other vulnerable children in Africa

Children in Chinese Orphanages

Also (through local missionaries) reaching orphans in Romania and Mozambique

Covenant House; shelter for teens

A shelter for homeless pregnant teens

Many hospitals for donating preemie items, in the US, the UK, and others.

Lots of organizations for sick kids, hospitals, 'cheer up' package groups...

Animal related projects...

Just let me know if you want to make something and the type of group that you'd like to see it go to, and I'll do my best to make a match for you! Thanks too to those who keep sending me names of groups to check into, I am looking at all of them and will add them to the list!

xoxo

Ro

Ro

This is perfect for me. I have 2 small things I want to do. One is something for the Passport to Imagination. I haven't forgotten Ro. And the second thing is for the Sunbeam organization. I have recently seen an Oprah show that tore my heart apart as to what is being done to children in Africa right now. I won't get into it as some might not want to read about it and I don't want to offend anyone. But I felt so helpless and heartbroken wondering what I can do. Well, one small thing is what I will do. I can't promise when, but I can promise I will.

*HUG* Jessi :hug that was a beautiful post, thank you it made my day!

I just started working on a round ripple for the Sunbeam Kids last night...it's verigated Softee baby yarn and turning out soooooo pretty. I'm gonna make it nice and big!!! :) I'll add your name to our 'one thing' list, anytime you get it done there is no date to rush for or any worry to hurry...just let me know when it's done so I can put "complete!" next to your project :)

I just finished a cradle purse for Passport too, it's bigger than the original pattern to fit a doll that I bought to go with it, I have to weave in the ends and then I'll post pictures hopefully tomorrow.

People here are so wonderful :manyheart

xoxo

Ro

p.s. Anybody who is shipping anything to UMC for Passport: be advised do NOT use UPS; they had issues finding the address, but packages that have gone USPS have gotten there. Just wanted to save everybody the frustration I had!

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm taking a break from the board and blogging. If you need me for any charity info please send me an email you can find a link to do so through the onesmallthing.org website please do not send me PMs here because I will not be checking for them.

I will continue to update One Small Thing and provide people with any help I can to encourage them to give gifts of their hands to help others.

I will be concentrating for awhile on making Remembrance Blankets. If you know someone who has suffered infant or pregnancy loss who you think may be comforted by a small blanket, please have them send me an email and I will do my best to help.

Take care everybody!

Ro

Archived