Labyrinth crochet pattern???

jlvking

Question

I have seen patterns for blankets of mazes but I was wondering if anyone has seen a labyrinth pattern. I'd love to make one for hubby as a surprise.

17 answers to this question

Lots of the Wooly Thoughts designs are knit and I haven't done that in a while. Even then it was VERY simple knitting! But I am going to try one of these days. :)

I bought this book at Joanne fabrics with a 50% off coupon and it has the pattern you are looking for. http://www.patternworks.com/productdetail/100976.htm. The book calls the lines dragon curves. But they made it out of a rug linner I guess it has holes and you crochet in them. I just looked at it and its very hard to understand. I made the afghan on the cover very easy but took forever to finish.

it is the fabric that we did latch hooks as children.

NiYa :yarn

The Wooly Thoughts site it really cool. I haven't gotten around to using any of their patterns yet, but I really love a lot of them. What I like about them is that they really think through a lot of the mathematics behind a lot of them (many of them are quite mathematical in nature). Since I am a math professor, this is highly appealing to me. One of these days I'm going to make the Hexaflexagon cushions. I just think it is such a cool idea to make these out of yarn! I have had students look at some of the mathematical properties of hexaflexagons in a projects, how cool would it be to crochet one? And the dragon curves are also very neat. I find myself drawn to fractals. And, again, crocheting fractals is beyond cool.

I bought this book at Joanne fabrics with a 50% off coupon and it has the pattern you are looking for. http://www.patternworks.com/productdetail/100976.htm. The book calls the lines dragon curves. But they made it out of a rug linner I guess it has holes and you crochet in them. I just looked at it and its very hard to understand. I made the afghan on the cover very easy but took forever to finish.

I wonder if some Celtic knot designs wouldn't work? I've never heard of any differences between a maze and a labyrinth other than the fact that the original labyrinth in Greek mythology was most likely in a cave, but aren't most Celtic knots a single line?

Ironically I have purchased several of Woolly Thoughts other designs. How in the world I missed this I have no idea. They ARE labyrinths but labyrinths are commonly referred to as mazes, probably because more people have heard of mazes. :) I am ordering the book now. Thanks!!!

Maybe you could look at the Happy Yellow House patterns for inspiration. Their patchwork afghan patterns are made with saltines - perhaps an easy solution for a labyrinth pattern? You could make 'paths' with saltines in one colour, against a background of saltines in another?

I'll check that out. I'm intrigued about the "saltines" To me those are crackers so I'll learn something!!!! Thanks!

I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing you are looking for. (If you click on the thumbnails of the labyrinths you can see them in more detail). They say it is a collection of Labyrinth Afghans and cushions. I didn't follow the patterns far enough to see if there were dead ends, but didn't immediately find any. From what I can tell, most of the patterns in the booklet are crochet - perhaps one knit and three crochet. It also looks like you could get any of the patterns from the booklet individually if you were just interested in one of them.

If you are on Ravelry, they also have information about the booklet here (which is where I initially found it.)

Maybe you could look at the Happy Yellow House patterns for inspiration. Their patchwork afghan patterns are made with saltines - perhaps an easy solution for a labyrinth pattern? You could make 'paths' with saltines in one colour, against a background of saltines in another?

Although they are similar they aren't the same. A labyrinth has one way in and the same way out... you stay on one path. Mazes have intersections where you have to make a choice of direction and can easily get lost in the dead ends before finding the center or exit.

Labyrinths can be used for meditation. I think mazes would just be an exercise in frustration if you tried to use them for that. :lol

Archived