Sign in to follow this  
faithpa76

Another silly question

Question

I feel like a dunce asking this, I should know, but I'm changing it with different pieces according to whichever I think looks better, lol. I'd like to know the appropriate way, though.

When you are working just regular old stitches, say in a rectangle, are you working in the loops BEFORE the next stitch or AFTER?? To make my question clearer (I hope lol), if I'm doing a long row but want to count stitches, will stitch 20 land in the loops to the right or the left (from a right handed perspective) of the 20th stitch below it?

Does anyone understand what I'm asking?

:oops

Faith

5 answers to this question

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifIf you look at the V shaped stitch on the top of the row, that is the stitch you insert your hook in. It's it and it's not in front or behind anything.... Look at the video here to see what I'm talking about.

I eliminate a lot of confusion by counting those on the top rather than the posts on the front or back of the fabric.

I hope that doesn't confuse the issue further. And to tell the truth, as long as you always do it the same way, and your stitch count comes out correct, I don't think it probably makes any difference. :rofl

I guess I'm trying to figure out how, say, in a sample square of sc, the stitches are going to line up from row to row, lol. And I'm wondering whether the loops to the right of a stitch, or to the left, are the ones that are that stitch. Oh, I know I'm not making much sense, and I'm sorry. Sooner or later it will probably just click and I'll feel like a real goon. :loco

That is a great site btw - thanks! I'm having fun going through and looking at the different stitches and stuff!

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifThe loops are the stitch. :D The post part of the stitch (that which dips down into the row below and fastens on the loops of the stitch below) don't "count." :) One becomes aware of this when you decrease in a pattern. Two posts work together to create one set of loops on top which is what is counted when one counts the number of stitches in the row.

Picture

About.com