Crochet On the Double/Crochetnit

Slappy Squirrel

I dug a crochet on the double pattern book out of my collection and I wanted to try to learn this technique. I couldn't find the double ended cable crochet hooks at any of the local craft/yarn stores. I wanted to make a baby blanket for charity and try to teach myself something new (or old?). I noticed that Annie's Attic doesn't sell the swivel cable crochet hooks anymore. Has this type of crochet gone the way of the dinosaur? Thanks!

Shirley

Not completely. You can get double ended cable hooks from Joann's in sizes G through K. They're not swivel hooks, but they work.

I'd be interested in a CAL, if you want to start one. I've got a big bag of yarn that I got for a crochet on the double ripple afghan, and I need an excuse to actually work on it.

Well You'vegot it in the cal section so that's a start, then you say hey who wants to do this with me, then keep track of the thread and encourage evryone on their efforts. You can build insentives like prizes or put rules in or what ever you want. The goal is to work on a simulare project together with like minded people. Please excuse my bad spelling. I hope you get alot of interest, I would like to try this with the cable crochet hook, but I am busy with another new project. You could include links to directions on the web for this technique if you like. Check out the sticky on CAL's. What's the difference between tusanian, crochet on the double and crochetknit? I have two double ended crochet hooks and have used one once, and made a peiced together baby blanket with strips. I don't know what it was called that I did, I put all the stitches on the hook then crocheted them off but I can't remember how I did it.

Hi! I'm taking CrochetKim's class to learn how to do this in March. It would be fun to keep working during/after the class. Never tried this particular style before.

Cheri

Hi! I'm taking CrochetKim's class to learn how to do this in March. It would be fun to keep working during/after the class. Never tried this particular style before.

Cheri

I'm taking this class, too! I ended up ordering my hooks on-line at knitting-warehouse.com. They came fairly quickly -- I always love their service. :c9

What's the difference between tusanian, crochet on the double and crochetknit?

Tunisian crochet (note spelling) is the base style, kind of a cross between crochet and knitting done on a long hook with a some kind of finial or cap at one end to keep the yarn from falling off. If you do it on a double ended hook, you should put a point protector on the non-working end. It's basically a two pass system. You pick up loops from the row below, working forward, and take them off one at a time on the return. This video is a good primer on the basic technique.

Crochet on the double, also called cro-hooking and crochenit (again note the spelling), are the same technique except that crochenit is done exclusively with a size M double ended hook. The technique is related to Tunisian, but uses a double ended hook. Now, you've seen the video I linked to, right? With crochet on the double/cro-hooking/crochenit, you do your forward row with yarn A, flip the work over, work the return with yarn B using the other end of the hook, work a forward row with B, flip the work again, and repeat with yarn A. Keep going like this. You'll end up with a reversible fabric with a different color on each side, assuming of course, that yarn A and yarn B are different colors.

That's the basics. There are, of course, a lot of variations.

I posted a photo of my first attempt with these double ended cable hooks on the link below. Look for the post titled "Just for Fun". I wish I could find the swivel version of these hooks. I think it would be easier on the wrist. Or maybe I just don't have the technique right yet.

I have a second set of these hooks for a prize but I'm not sure what the rules should be. Any suggestions?

Shirley

http://afghansforafghanskal.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the link. And the tutorial on spelling.I think I might get one of those ones at Joann's site. I seen them on the other thread, And they are pretty long on the cable part. I have to look at the thread on the class again to see what hook to get.

I'm in that class, too! I've had the hooks for a while, hoping to get around to learning how to use them. I'm excited that I'm finally going to make something with them. I found a couple of blanket patterns that I want to make, once I know the technique.

Archived