Lutya

Shoulder blade pain from crocheting

I have been crocheting much more than usual in the last few weeks (a couple hours a day) and even though I try to stretch often, I have developed a horrible knot in my left shoulder blade (upper back). I have gotten a 30 minute massage twice now, two weeks apart, but the pain is now constant. It is a burning type of pain which is not much relieved by OTC pain relievers like Advil and Aleve. Any suggestions other than laying off the hooks for awhile? Thanks!

Please go get this checked out. When my DH had his heart attack he had complained of the same sort of pain. We found out from the doctor that this could be a warning sign of some sort of blockage. I will pary that this is not the case with you but since no pain killers seem to be helping I would get it checked out just in case.

Well, I'm only 32 and have very low blood pressure, cholesterol and have regular physicals and bloodwork...so I doubt it is anything heart related. But I will go to the dr if it doesn't get better by laying off the crocheting. Plus the massage therapist can feel the knot and loosen it up very temporarily but the burning pain returns within an hour or so. I'm pretty sure it's muscle/nerve related but I'm just not sure how to alleviate or prevent it while still being able to crochet. Thank you though!

Definitely go to the doctor. I have the same pains in my left shoulder blade, it's actually more behind the shoulder blade. It has gotten so bad lately that sometimes when I lie on my left side, my arm becomes tingly. I also have very low blood pressure, good sugar and cholesterol counts, etc. My dr. referred me to an orthopedist, who I will be seeing in a couple of weeks. The dr. gave me shoulder/back exercises to do daily, they really don't help but I try anyway.

I also suggest getting it checked out. I have that type of pain as a result of the muscles in my back being torn, but there can be different causes and you don't want to make things worse by not listening to your body.

Lutya,

You need to see an Ortho Dr. about this. It is definately nerve related. I can tell you for sure because I have suffered from this for the past 4 years.

My problem is a pinched nerve in my neck which causes constant burning pain just inside my right shoulder blade. Nothing absolutely nothing will stop the pain. Nerve pain is a very difficult thing to control. What happens is the nerve compresses and the pain can manifest in various locations. What usually causes the nerve compression is a swollen disc in your neck. There are a number of treatments depending on the severity of the swelling. Anti inflamatories will sometimes be enough if the swelling is minor. Steroids will sometimes get rid of the swelling and if it is severe as mine is, an injection just below the affected disc will after time help the swelling to go down. I have had 9 injections in my neck for pain relief.

The muscle knot is from the pain. The muscles around the painful area will bind up from the pain. Massage will help some but is only temporary.

The position you are crocheting in is more than likely what is causing this to get worse. You are putting pressure on the disc with the way you are holding your head and shoulders. Try several different ways to crochet - change the chair you are using, and try to not bend your head way down while looking at your work. The only place I can crochet that does not really make my neck act up is in bed with 4 pillows stacked up behind me. This way keeps me from hunching over and doesn't aggrivate my condition.

Now my neck is really bad, I have issues with all the discs in my neck from the 3rd one in my neck C3 down to the 2nd one in my back T2. I am also 47 almost 48 years old. I didn't do anything spectacular when this started, I just rolled over in bed one morning and bam the pain began.

The quicker you get to the doctor the quicker you will get rid of the pain. I wish you much luck and hope you feel better soon.

Please keep me posted on what your dr. says, and feel free to e-mail or pm me if you want.

TLOL,

Toni

I was just going to suggest putting a tennis ball in a tube sock and laying on it. It'll help with the muscle spasms.

You really do want to get this treated quickly and agressively BEFORE it sets in place and becomes next to impossible to get rid of. That's what hapened with hubby. He let a muscle spasm hang around and now 6 years later it's still bothering him.

Thank you all so much. I just called to make a dr appt and will let you know what he says. Hopefully he'll refer me to an ortho. Thanks again.

Even though this isn't my thread, I wanted to say thank you for the responses as well! I recently had neck x-rays and the dr. said I have absolutely no arthritis in my neck, but there is a spasm on the side, which I already knew from the pain. He told me there is nothing that can be done until I see an Ortho. I asked him if the pain in my shoulder is from a pinched nerve or something and he said no way...I'm positive it is, though, because sometimes the pain radiates through my arm, into my hand and my last two fingers will go numb. He says they are completely unrelated but I am going to wait to see what the ortho says, and change dr.'s if needed.

I'm an avid crocheter and have been doing it everyday for a few hours overall very long period of time lately perhaps a year even, just these past few days I've developed pain in my right shoulder blade I've had cronic lower back pain for many years with quite a few discs affected have had radiofrequency twice and steroid injection nothing helps, but I really dont think this shoulder blade pain stems from do you think it's to do with constant crochet work?

It would probably help to take regular breaks. I find it helpful to stretch the muscles that tend to cramp up also.

Edited by greyhoundgrandma

32 minutes ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

It would probably help to take regular breaks. I find it helpful to stretch the muscles that tend to cramp up also.

Regular breaks are the way to go and surprisingly enough I do, hook down when my favourite tv progs are on then theres cuppas, I mind years ago I knit one of those Starsky and Hutch long cardigan that Starsky wore always, I constantly kept my needles cracking for a solid 3 weeks no let up and ended up with the biggest migraine ever I was prone to them but that one was monstrous but hubby loved the cardigan, I still have that pattern approx over 35years ago that was. So I know just how endless these needles and hooks can do.

Stop.  Now.  Not forever, but seriously at least a month, longer would be better.  You are not a machine, a mechanic cant just come along and replace a worn-out wrist/shoulder/back joint every couple of years.

Every one is different, but ALL of us are getting older (hopefully) and every stitch is wear and tear on your joints.  Some injuries never get 100% better and more motion just gradually makes flare-ups worse over time. I have issues with fingers, wrist, elbow, back and shoulder and none were actually caused by crochet.  I can't/will not crochet more than a 2 hours a day, and take long breaks between projects.  I've been in crochet hiatus since June, when I  finished the second of 2 large doilies made back to back, and am only just now contemplating starting a new project--not for lack of inspiration in that interval, but to give my hands/arms sufficient rest.

Even the act of typing your post could aggravate your injuries.  Typing, scrolling one's phone, computer mousing are really hard on fingers on up to shoulders, but are hard to cut out entirely, especially in a lot of jobs.  Crochet is optional, ceasing crocheting for a while will help a lot--and if you are in pain, we are talking weeks or months, not days.  I've had to take crochet breaks for up to a year a couple of times after severe flare-ups.  Take it from someone who has been there, and still is (even after a couple of decades), and presumably always will be.  :sigh 

I get a pain in my shoulder if I sit and crochet for hours on end and day after day and its more noticeable in less amount of time when I work with cotton as opposed to acylic.  I find when I marathon crochet my hand, arm and shoulder tense up more and more the longer I go and its better for me to crochet in several shorter periods throughout the day.

Thank you both for getting back, much appreciated especially all the wisdom from Granny Squares.

I took 2 Solpodol 30/500 prescribed by my doc for my lower back pain but they dont touch it but must say they helped the shoulder blade pain. 

I am well used to pain like yourself from RLS, Neuralgia, several herniated low back discs, Stenosis, Bursitis, pain is my constant company. So this shoulder blade one is wee buns compared to all the other, I just wanted to confirm it was from doing the crochet which obviously it is.

I tend to sit with my legs up on sofa when I crochet its compfy but I think that's contributing to this new pain, bad posture, so gonna sit right and see if that helps, but thank you for your advice.