Yarn Question

Shellie_wnj

Question

Hi, all. I actually have a question about how to handle a "yarn situation". A good amount of the time, I will end up with yarn that has been tied together. So I will crochet partway through the skein, and all of a sudden, a knot comes up. Does this happen to you? Why do they do this anyway??!! So sometimes I will cut out the knot and join the yarn back in as if I was changing color. Sometimes (if I am not that far into the row) I will frog it back to the end, finish off, cut the knot out, then join the yarn back in with a slip stitch at the beginning of the row.

How do you all handle knots in the skein?

15 answers to this question

That is so annoying, isn't it? It seems to be more common on the bigger skeins I think.

If I'm making something with a seam, I rip it back to the beginning of the row, snip and reattach there. Otherwise I'll cut and leave long ends to weave in like joining a new skein ( I don't trust their knots either )

I guess the yarn comes in big hanks or cones, and the companies wind it into skeins. If the hank or cone comes to an end before the skein is finished, they just tie a new one on.

Who knows what else may happen during the manufacture of yarn that causes the fibers to break and have to be knotted back together?! Sometimes it may be just one ply that is knotted.

I take the same approach that you do--cut away the knots and act like I'm joining a new skein.

I do like you do and cut out the knots and rejoin as if it were a new skein or new color. I don't trust their knots. There was one project - a baby blanket - where I had to work their knots in. I was using LB Pound of Love and the one skein I was working with had so many knots I could not finish a row without one. I would have sent it back for a new skein but didn't have time. I needed to finish that blanket. I'm not buying that yarn again. Who needs all those knots??!!??

Agree with everyone else. I cut the knot out. Sometimes they knot only one strand. These are harder to catch. I cut those out too. When using a variegated yarn, you then need to find the right place in the color pattern and join at the proper spot, so you do lose a little bit of yarn.

I usually cut out the knot and work it as I would when I change colors or skeins. If the knot is tiny and on only one ply, then after inspection if it looks okay, I sometimes will just keep it in, but if it is 'feelable', or not strong looking, then I cut it out.

I can't stand finding those knots! It's such a waste. I cut it and join it like a new yarn. Pain in the rear, but at least I know it's not going to come apart.

When I come across a chunk of tangled up, knotted yarn, I try to work it out...

The problem isn't that its tangled and knotted, it's yarn that ends, and they tie a new piece to it to continue the skein.

It kind of depends on where the knot shows up. In a space - I cut it out and rejoin the yarn. In a pattern - I maybe will just crochet it in if it looks like a solid knot, but most of the time I will cut it out and rejoin the yarn. (I tend to be ultra picky about the finished look)

:heart

:mug:cat:yarn

I cut it and continue as if joining a new one, then weave in my ends.

:angry It REALLY makes me crazy when I pay a bit "extra" for the "nicer" yarn and to still have knots in it. The should sell these as seconds or something. GRRR! Very annoying.

Archived