Do you block?

Do you block your work!  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Do you block your work!

• Yes - Always!
    • Well, sometimes depending on the project (please explain)
    • No, never.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I block only sometimes. I find that spray starch and an iron can make a doily look much better, gives it a finished look, but I don't really consider that blocking. Occasionally, I make a doily that actually needs to be pulled and pinned to attain the correct shape which I will do, only when necessary!! I always block my snowflakes since they need to be stiffened. Don't like my doilies starched and stiff.

Bookmarks - sometimes.

I made a 12" square recently and it HAD to be blocked (probably won't make it again!)

• 2 weeks later...

I block doilies and most thread work. I also block some wool items. Afghans block themselves if done in acrylic and put through a quick cycle. Depending on the item and the type of yarn used, some apparel items require blocking.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually make shawls or things that really don't matter if they're blocked. I have made a couple that needed blocking, though - the chrysanthemum tea shawl, crocheted in cotton, has to be blocked to take shape, much like an oversized doily. I'm sure I would block more if I did more in thread....

• 8 months later...

I'm actually just starting to get into blocking, because I've mostly made accessories or blankets in the past and so therefore, I haven't needed to block. Even the few things I've had to block, I'm fairly certain I've done it wrong because I thought that I should just use water, but apparently I ought to be using a bit of soap?

I'm actually making a vest right now and I've recently read a section about blocking in Debbie Stoller's "The Happy Hooker" that makes the process make a lot more sense to me, so we'll see how it goes.

Part of it is that I'm absolutely terrified of putting so much work into something and then ruining it in the blocking process, you know?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It depends on the project. I block doilies and other little decorative thread items, and certain lace items like shawls and shrugs. It really depends on the project and the yarn. If, when I am done, I feel like it looks fine as is, I won't bother. But if I feel like the stitch pattern needs some extra definition or the piece needs some help with it's shape (like making sure a triangle shawl is actually a nice pretty triangle) I'll block. Afghans, wash cloths, wearables made from acrylic yarn... nah. They tend to be fine on their own. 

I only tend to block Tunisian crochet pieces if they are not being lined.  So when I did a Tunisian crochet case it didn't get blocked as it was lined.

• 10 months later...

Archived