? about ann norling driving cap

mrsdand

Question

I ordered and received the pattern for this hat as part of my ongoing quest to crochet a brimmed cap...but I can't get started. The directions for rounds 1 and 2 confound me.... if you have this pattern, please help! Am I supposed to ch4 and then 13 hdc into each ch? and then how/why does it dec down to 26 hdc in the 2nd round to go back up to 42 hdc in round 3? I just don't get it! help!!! :think

5 answers to this question

I ordered and received the pattern for this hat as part of my ongoing quest to crochet a brimmed cap...but I can't get started. The directions for rounds 1 and 2 confound me.... if you have this pattern, please help! Am I supposed to ch4 and then 13 hdc into each ch? and then how/why does it dec down to 26 hdc in the 2nd round to go back up to 42 hdc in round 3? I just don't get it! help!!! :think

I do not have the pattern, but my suspicion given the numbers is that you

ch 4, sl st into first ch to form a ring

R1: do 13 hdc into the ring (insert hook into the center of the ring formed by the ch4 and work over the chains rather than into them)

R2: do 2 hdc into each dc from the previous round (26 hdc)

R3: it looks like you will be roughly doing (hdc into next hdc, 2hdc into next hdc) around, but in four places you will be doing the increase (2 hdc into next hdc) twice in a row instead of alternating it with a single hdc - not having the pattern I don't know if those are spaced evenly around (to keep a roughly circular shape) or all in a bunch to create a circular shape that might be a bit wider at one point...

This is the a slightly modified version of a basic flat-circle pattern, used to start many hats/caps...

Cheers!

:thinkCould it be that you need to turn the CH into a loop by SL STing into the 4th CH from the hook.

Then you need to do CH3 which will be your first DC, make 12 more DC into the loop. SL ST to join. (13DC)

CH3, 1DC into base of the CH3, now work 2DC into each DC to the end. SL ST as before. (26 DC)

Next row you will be doing the same as before but with 1DC between each increase but that will not give you 42 but will give you 39.

Maybe you can post some more of the actual pattern or maybe even PM it to me if you do not want to post it here.

As soon as I have sorted it for you, I would delete it from my messages.

Hope this helps a little.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

PS, OOOPs, I see someone else has written similar at the same time and I also see I used DC instead of HDC.

the actual pattern directions are as follows:

work in continuous circle

rnd1 :ch3 13 hdc in next st* rep between * 14 times (42 hdc)

rnd 2: 2 hdc in each hdc (28 hdc)

rnd 3: * 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next st* rep between * 14 times (42 hdc)

the following rounds are increases which make sense to me, but I can not figure the above...

thanks for the help!!!!

I did a quick search to see what the pattern looks like.

http://www.karpstyles.com/catalog.html?item=295

I would suggest that you go with the suggestions by Marika and Colleen. You have the special ribbing effect that works out but it is really just a "standard circle increase" pattern aside from that little tweak.

If you just want to get your feet wet for this type of hat, I owuld suggest that you try my Jingo Newsboy cap... just to get a feel for the technique. it would probably make your pattern more meaningful. :hug scroll down a bit to the hat pattern. :wlol

thank you all!

Jingo's hat is the cutest thing! I think i have to try that right now....might look cute on the puggle before she eats it! :)

Archived