teakaycee

2009 Prayer Blanket Challenge....with pattern link

post-18634-135897452817_thumb.jpg

Let me first say THANK YOU to everyone that helped me with this challenge last year as it was a GREAT success with reaching and exceeding my goal of 21 Prayer Blankets for "my kids" for Christmas!

After talking to Michael's (my son) nurse the other day... and spending time praying and thinking.. I'm going to change this years challenge.

Apparently there has been an increase in children coming in and being diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome. They are coming from other near by states too.... to receive treatment. The blankets that were taken for Christmas are down to 3. You can see ... they are going to need more blankets.... soon.

So......... my challenge is to to take 5 blankets each month starting with this month which I already have 5 blankets ready to go.

Prayer Blankets are made with a 12 point round blanket pattern..... 40" or more .. as they are for toddlers to teens. Any color.. Any yarn except Wool..... no wool.

Anyone willing to help me with this challenge that does not have a pattern of this sort...

I found this one from CPC....http://project-angel-kisses.150m.com/roundripple.html

THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What is nephrotic syndrome?

Nephrotic syndrome is a condition often characterized by the following:

*very high levels of protein in the urine

*low levels of protein in the blood*swelling, especially around the eyes, feet, and hands

*high cholesterol

What causes nephrotic syndrome?

Generally, nephrotic syndrome results from damage to the kidneys' glomeruli - the tiny blood vessels that filter waste and excess water from the blood and send them to the bladder as urine. However, in some cases, the cause remains unknown.Nephrotic syndrome may occur with many diseases, including the kidney diseases caused by type 2 diabetes. Prevention of nephrotic syndrome relies on controlling these diseases.

What are the symptoms of nephrotic syndrome?

Nephrotic syndrome is actually a set of symptoms and not a disease in and of itself.

The following are the most common symptoms of nephrotic syndrome.

However, each individual may experience symptoms differently.

Symptoms may include:

*high blood pressure

*swelling in the feet and hands, and around the eyes

*susceptibility to infections

Why is this important to me?

My sweet little 10 yr old (Michael) was diagnosed December of 2005 with Nephrotic Syndrome.

The doctors have placed Michael back on prednizone due to tests showing his relapse once again.

Michael is the one that set this ministry into motion. I had made a Prayer Blanket for him during one of his bad relapses.... he found such comfort in it .. he said that all the kids with Nephrotic Syndrome needed one too. It would help them feel better like his does.

I spent time in prayer about it and came to the conclusion that Michael was right.... so for the last two Christmas's we have delivered Prayer Blankets for "our kids"

God Bless everyone that has helped us with this!

:heart

:mug

post-18634-135897452414_thumb.jpg

post-18634-135897452668_thumb.jpg

Edited by teakaycee

Hi Tam! What size do you need the blankies to be? I'd be happy to help out. Don't know how many or when, but I'll do what I can....:hug

Hi Tam! What size do you need the blankies to be? I'd be happy to help out. Don't know how many or when, but I'll do what I can....:hug

Thank you so much for wanting to help!!!

Blanket size should be 40" or more. These are for toddlers to teens.

I'll be needing them all year.. so anytime is good!

Thank you again dear...... I do appreciate it!:hug

Hi Tam,

I'd like to help you as well. When I get finished with the Victory Junction Gang blanket, I'll do one or two of these for you.

Do you have a link to a pattern? I'll pm you for your address.

Kids with kidney problems are close to my heart. My niece was born with a malformed kidney and endured quite a few operations as a baby and small child. She eventually lost that kidney as a teen, but is now a relatively healthy 20-something woman and looking forward to her marriage in August.

God bless you and your son!

I could sure send a blanket or two. Please PM me with the address. Thanks!

Any specific colors wanted? Like are there more boys then girls? Do you get more of one color but really need another? Are there more teens (you know so we can do appropriate teeny bobber colors :lol)? I will do one eventually you know that dear even though these are not my favorite. Thought it be easier to ask here then on CSG.

OK, I'll get to work on one as soon as I can! :hug

Thank you so much!:hug

Hi Tam,

I'd like to help you as well. When I get finished with the Victory Junction Gang blanket, I'll do one or two of these for you.

Do you have a link to a pattern? I'll pm you for your address.

Kids with kidney problems are close to my heart. My niece was born with a malformed kidney and endured quite a few operations as a baby and small child. She eventually lost that kidney as a teen, but is now a relatively healthy 20-something woman and looking forward to her marriage in August.

God bless you and your son!

Thank you my dear.... God Bless you!!! Praise God your niece has been so blessed!

I will send you a PM for the pattern.

I could sure send a blanket or two. Please PM me with the address. Thanks!

Thank you so very much.

Will PM you here shortly. God bless you!

Any specific colors wanted? Like are there more boys then girls? Do you get more of one color but really need another? Are there more teens (you know so we can do appropriate teeny bobber colors :lol)? I will do one eventually you know that dear even though these are not my favorite. Thought it be easier to ask here then on CSG.

you are such a blessing Jessica! Thank you for helping me!

Yarn...... Any colors are great. No wool yarn... all other types are fine.

Some fun color combos for teens are lime green/orange.... pink/brown.... blue/gray.... black/white.... yellow/violet... solid color blankets are good too.

colors for younger ones are pretty easy........ they are happy with just about anything.

Statistics use to be that it was more dominate in boys to have Nephrotic Syndrome.. but of the last handful of years that has changed and its almost 50/50.

The hospital here that I'm doing these for are pretty evenly spread in ages too...... with is another statistic change... its was usally toddlers.. that "may" carry it to their teens... now there are teens just being diagnosed.

:ty again my dear friend!!!

you are such a blessing Jessica! Thank you for helping me!

Yarn...... Any colors are great. No wool yarn... all other types are fine.

Some fun color combos for teens are lime green/orange.... pink/brown.... blue/gray.... black/white.... yellow/violet... solid color blankets are good too.

colors for younger ones are pretty easy........ they are happy with just about anything.

Statistics use to be that it was more dominate in boys to have Nephrotic Syndrome.. but of the last handful of years that has changed and its almost 50/50.

The hospital here that I'm doing these for are pretty evenly spread in ages too...... with is another statistic change... its was usally toddlers.. that "may" carry it to their teens... now there are teens just being diagnosed.

:ty again my dear friend!!!

I have been wanting to do a bright pink & black item for the longest time. I may do one just like the blue one I made you last year. If ILTY has hot pink. I want to do it in ILTY if at all possible.

I have been wanting to do a bright pink & black item for the longest time. I may do one just like the blue one I made you last year. If ILTY has hot pink. I want to do it in ILTY if at all possible.

:hugThank you for your help sweetie........ I do appreciate it!!!

Count me in Tam! I have a couple other things to get done right now but you will receive some from me somewhere along the line. My commitment this year is to make for charity and have a list and I will gladly help you out again!

(HUGS) to Michael!

Count me in Tam! I have a couple other things to get done right now but you will receive some from me somewhere along the line. My commitment this year is to make for charity and have a list and I will gladly help you out again!

(HUGS) to Michael!

Thank you :ty Thank you

I'll keep everyone posted on how the months are going so we can make sure to get 5 out each month. okay? :hook

This is wonderful... What a blessing to have such wonderful giving people in my life to help me with my charity projects!:manyheart

have a wonderful day.

I have never made an afghan like the one shown but I am willing to give it a try if you can send me the pattern. I usually do ripple afghans. Yours looks similar to that.

I crochet a lot in my spare time and would like to participate in your project.

Good Luck,

Toni

I have never made an afghan like the one shown but I am willing to give it a try if you can send me the pattern. I usually do ripple afghans. Yours looks similar to that.

I crochet a lot in my spare time and would like to participate in your project.

Good Luck,

Toni

Thank you my dear for wanting to help. I really appreciate it!

watch your email box for an email from me! :hook

Tam

I'd love to help with this again this year. I'll shoot you a PM right now

Joyce

Hi there, Tam! Thanks for sending me the pattern! I appreciate your quick response! These look fun to do and I look forward to helping!

You are quite welcome........... thank you for wanting to help.

this will be a blessing to many children! :hug

Tam

I'd love to help with this again this year. I'll shoot you a PM right now

Joyce

shot you one back................ :hook (well... actually an email)

thanks dear!

Hi,

I'm a member of a shawl ministry and we chose 2 or 3 different groups to donate to each year. I'd like to take the Prayer Blanket Challenge to my group to vote on at our next meeting to see if we can help you out.

If the ministry does not chose this organiztion, I'd love to help you out myself. Is it possible you can see me the pattern of the yellow blanket that you posted, it's beautiful.

Always lending a helping hand in Chicago.

I would love to help you. I won't be able to send one until April or May, though. I do have two questions, though...I have a 12-point pattern that I have made for two of my own kids, is it ok if I use that one or do I have to use yours? Also, can I use a double-strand, or would you prefer that it is single-strand? For both of my kids, I did a double strand and followed the instructions for the van gogh's closet CAL (changing one strand of color every few rows) and they came out very pretty. But if you only want single-strand blankies that is ok for me to do, too.

thanks!

Hi,

I'm a member of a shawl ministry and we chose 2 or 3 different groups to donate to each year. I'd like to take the Prayer Blanket Challenge to my group to vote on at our next meeting to see if we can help you out.

If the ministry does not chose this organiztion, I'd love to help you out myself. Is it possible you can see me the pattern of the yellow blanket that you posted, it's beautiful.

Always lending a helping hand in Chicago.

Omgoodness........... Thank you so very much!!! :hug what a blessing!

My little Michael gets more and more excited everytime I tell him somone else wants to help! :yay

I sent you an email with the pattern ....... watch for it.

thank you again!!!!! :manyheart

I would love to help you. I won't be able to send one until April or May, though. I do have two questions, though...I have a 12-point pattern that I have made for two of my own kids, is it ok if I use that one or do I have to use yours? Also, can I use a double-strand, or would you prefer that it is single-strand? For both of my kids, I did a double strand and followed the instructions for the van gogh's closet CAL (changing one strand of color every few rows) and they came out very pretty. But if you only want single-strand blankies that is ok for me to do, too.

thanks!

NO worries my dear........ you have all year to help...... :hook Thank you so much for wanting to do this!!!

question #1 yes... if you have a 12 point round blanket pattern of your own... please feel free to use it. My son Michael decided this particular blanket design was the one he wanted me to make for the prayer blankets for the kids... because the blanket is like Jesus with His 12 disciples standing around comforting and protecting the one covered in the blanket. How can a mom say no to that. So thats why I use this design!

question #2 Two strands are just fine!!!! I have a few ladies that prefer to do them that way! Your color design sounds wonderful!!!!!

Thank you again for wanting to help... I do appreciate this.

Hi Tammy,

I have a prayer blanket ready to send you. I just need an address.

The colors I used were soft white and pink/green/brown verigated.

I will try to make another one soon.

Toni

Hi Tammy,

I have a prayer blanket ready to send you. I just need an address.

The colors I used were soft white and pink/green/brown verigated.

I will try to make another one soon.

Toni

:eek God Bless you my dear!!! Thank you so much!!! :hug

The colors are perfect! :yay Oh.. I'm so excited! :ty again for helping me!

PM'd you

Edited by teakaycee

Hi, i'm fairly new to this site and am loving it! i love all these charity opportunities. i would like to crochet a prayer blanket for your cause, can you PM me the pattern? thanks so much! quick question: how does a "prayer blanket" actually work? silly question, i know i'm sorry :think... just wondering... :hook

thanks!!

PS - i LOVE your sons reason for making this particular blanket. what a wise little child. ;)

Hi, i'm fairly new to this site and am loving it! i love all these charity opportunities. i would like to crochet a prayer blanket for your cause, can you PM me the pattern? thanks so much! quick question: how does a "prayer blanket" actually work? silly question, i know i'm sorry :think... just wondering... :hook

thanks!!

PS - i LOVE your sons reason for making this particular blanket. what a wise little child. ;)

Bless you for wanting to help! I appreciate it very much!!!:hug

Sending the pattern now!

Prayer Blanket........... well... I myself pray over the yarn before I start the blanket.. then as I'm crocheting... I say prayers over it about protecting and comforting the child that will receive it. Now some folks dont pray ..... but the fantastic thing about this wonderful place here is that even if they dont pray during the making of the blanket.. their love and good wishes are in every stitch. Once I get ready to deliver the blankets I take them all to church and everyone there lays hands on the blankets and prays. By the time a child gets their blanket it is so covered in love they cant help but feel comforted. Then we let God do the rest!

thank you again for your desire to help!

Bless you for wanting to help! I appreciate it very much!!!:hug

Sending the pattern now!

Prayer Blanket........... well... I myself pray over the yarn before I start the blanket.. then as I'm crocheting... I say prayers over it about protecting and comforting the child that will receive it. Now some folks dont pray ..... but the fantastic thing about this wonderful place here is that even if they dont pray during the making of the blanket.. their love and good wishes are in every stitch. Once I get ready to deliver the blankets I take them all to church and everyone there lays hands on the blankets and prays. By the time a child gets their blanket it is so covered in love they cant help but feel comforted. Then we let God do the rest!

thank you again for your desire to help!

that is awesome. thanks for the pattern, i got it. i have a couple of projects going on, but i will definitely get this one going and will let you know when it's finished. :U