Rainbow Ripple of *Somewhat* Regret-Picture added in Post 12

I LOVE bright colors, and had always wanted to make myself a blanket with all the bright colors I could. It took me forever to find a pattern I liked, and I finally started on it not too long ago, and now, halfway through, the pattern I chose(a ripple blanket) is not turning out so great. At the moment I'm regretting my pattern choice, but I'm too far to take it apart.. I'm sure it would look GREAT with other colors, just not the ones I chose :lol I guess I will just have to finish it, and go on looking for a pattern that's juuuuust right for bright colors :) I just thought I'd share my little story. :P Have a great evening/night everyone :manyheart

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We would all love to see it! Sometimes (especially on large projects that just NEVER seem to get done) we get sick and tired of looking at the same design everyday. You might like to fold it away for a few weeks and then work on some smaller things. Looking at it again after some time passes may be just the thing you need to see how great it is! If you still don't like it, I bet some child would adore it if you sent it to a charity.

I decided to do my Babette Inspired afghan in bright colors (and I'm not a bright color person). About half way I had to stop. I didn't really like it and the colors were getting to me... I finally finished putting the squares together and one boarder edging one (would like 3, but we'll see). I still need to weave in some ends, but for now it's pretty much done and I'm glad. It's actaully quiet pretty.

So to make a long story short :lol

Maybe put it away for a while and then come back to it. Or post a picture and we can help you keep going or give you other ideas. Maybe you could change the color change scheme, even if you started with one, I'm not sure:think, I've only done one RR in black and white.

Debbi

I think you probably don't need a different pattern, you just need to plan how to distribute your colors in a more eye-pleasing way. Personally, I rarely copy the colors in any given pattern, most of the time I simply imagine the item in the colors I want to use. Last month for example, I wanted to start a blanket for a toddler that would work up quickly, after looking at dozens of patterns online the only ones I thought fit my purpose were for ripple blankets but most of them were the wrong size and required too much yarn so I ended up just using the formula from a book I'd borrowed from the public library (Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet) and that way I could get it the size I want. I chose only 3 colors, 2 solids and 1 variegated and it's coming out very nice.

I know color coordinating doesn't come easy to everyone, even though I studied the color wheel in beauty school and have always had a good eye for color sometimes I need help too because I usually play it too safe which can be boring, so I was reminded of a post I read several months ago where someone discussed this subject and gave a link to an article written in her blog which has some good tips on how to better coordinate colors. I just found it for you, by the way, the search didn't help me so I had to go page by page to the 17th page :eek and then once in the blog I had to look for the right entry so I suggest you bookmark it as I just did so I won't lose it again. The article in question is in the entry of November 18: http://craftybegonia.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2008-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2009-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=41

P.S. There's a little mistake in there though, where she talks about a sweater in mustard, purple and brown, I believe she meant to write orange instead of purple (purple is really red + blue).

Hmmm, after rereading your post I noticed you didn't say which colors you've actually used so I too would like to see what you've got now, I hope you will post a pic soon.

Without seeing the 'ghan:

sometimes the bright colours overwhelm each other. Maybe you need to alternate rows in black, or another dark neutral, so the colours don't "fight" each other? This is a nice one recently posted in the Show and Tell section:

Rainbow ripple

Here is a picture of what I have finished so far. The picture of the original blanket in the pattern book uses much lighter colors that are closer to pastel. Mine are bright yellows, bright blue, bold purple, bright pink, lime green and orange. I am using white in between each color which is what the pattern says to do. I am starting to think that the colors might have looked better in squares.

Snapshot_20090213_1.jpg

Ach, no, that's very nice. It's kind of retro-looking! It mightn't be to your taste exactly and you mghn't want to keep it, but never fear - you'll make someone really, really happy if you decide to give it away.

One time I crocheted a granny square cardigan. The colours looked 'wow!' beside one another (black, red, purple, hot pink) but when I started to assemble it, the whole thing looked far too bright for me (I'm a red-headed Irish girl. Hot pink is seldom a wise choice) and I wanted to rip it apart. But a Spanish friend snatched it up, tried on the half-finished cardigan and it looked AMAZING on her. So the moral of the story is: there is somebody who will love everything you make! Besides, you've come so far, you HAVE to finish!

When I absolutely MUST rip something out, rather than wind it back into balls I will make sqaures or a scrapghan (or something) with the yarn as I am frogging it. It hurts a little less than just winding it up but some might consider it a "waste" of good yarn using if for a scrapghan.

Of course it wouldn't hurt to put it away for a bit. It might be nice to see the cheery colours in the sometimes dreary month of March.

Good luck,

Fran

I think part of the problem is that the tones of the colors don't really go well together. I understand what you mean. It appears to be the perfect size to finish up and call it a baby blanket. There are blankets that run the ripple that way.

If you're that unhappy with it I would just stop. Make someone else happy with it and pick different colors for your ghan.

Here is a picture of what I have finished so far. The picture of the original blanket in the pattern book uses much lighter colors that are closer to pastel. Mine are bright yellows, bright blue, bold purple, bright pink, lime green and orange. I am using white in between each color which is what the pattern says to do. I am starting to think that the colors might have looked better in squares.

Snapshot_20090213_1.jpg

I think it's beautiful, love the retro look of it. :yes

I love it. I think the colors look great. Do not frog it, that would be a shame. You can always donate it to a charity, but me, I'd keep it. I made a scrap afghan and I was so disappointed in it and wasn't going to finish it and my girlfriend and her daughter came over and her daughter begged me to give it to her so I did finish it. So as everyone is saying, someone will love it.

Archived