Breast Cancer Comfortghan FINISHED PICS POST 122

shana0923

My hubby's Aunt Deb lost her battle with breast cancer today after fighting very hard for 3 years. She was the youngest at 43years out of 10 children and dh's Mom (my mil) is the oldest. She is having a VERY hard time dealing with this as she took care of Deb most of the time when they were young. I would love it if I could make her a granny square in pink and white in memory of Aunt Deb. But I would need some help. Would anyone mind sending me 12" squares of any design in pink and white. If someone knows how to do the ones with the awareness ribbons that would be wonderful. I need 24 of them. If anybody wants to help please send me a pm. i would really appreciate this and I know she would since my fil is bedridden and not really "there" most of the time anymore she doesn't have quite as much comfort and no dh's shoulder to lean on either. thanks in advance for any help I receive.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my mother died from breast cancer complications. It went to her brain. There is someone else here doing a breast cancer afghan, Kendall, Fostermom. I don't know where her thread is. Her and others are making breast cancer squares in pink shades. I will see what I can do. Give me a time span ok. I have done a breast cancer square before with a ribbon that was crocheted and then sewn on the square for some one else. There is a granny square on this site with the ribbon crocheted in it. The ribbon pattern that I used for my square is in the free patterns here, I did that with a bigger hook than called for and did a double crochet back ground in white and a border in pink. Good luck to you an hugs to your MIL.

Thank you so much. The time span could be like 1 month. that might give her enough time to feel more comforted than sad ya know. I also am so sorry about your mom. I would appreciate any help I could get. i will make some too I am just not really fast yet as I am fairly new to crocheting and it would probably take me months to do it all but I thought if I had help making the squares then I could do it.

:hugThanks ladies for helping me. This is so heartwarming to get help from people I don't even "know"! it really proves there are still a lot of really good people out there!

If anyone else can help let me know, I am going to make some too and when I get it all together I will post pics of the finished ghan.

I was thinking it would be kind of neat if you could sew your state abbreviations on your square so I would know where they came from and she can see there are people all over who care about others. if that seems like too much just say so. it was just an idea and then you could pick yours out of the pic too.

Ok yarn question Red heart or simply soft or? I have a bit of the simply soft but I need to buy some red heart too for another project so it's really up to you. I have white in both and in I love this yarn. Not to happy with I Love This Yarn right now but others love it. ANy one ever do an event for breast cancer or cancer in general? I did the relay for life on year, it was fun but tiring. All night event. Got two Tee shirts and I bought a bear with the logo. I would love to do the avon walk below but none in my area.

thanks to all of you. really any kind of acrylic is fine as long as it is ww. I am using ILTY because it doesn't tend to burn my hands but I also use red heart and Caron's Simply soft. Whatever one you want to use is fine. I got white, a light pink and a darker pink to use.

I can help out in a few weeks when I can buy some pink yarn. I can do the ribbon square. My grandma had breast cancer. Broke off & went to her lungs, brain, & skin after they did a double masectomy (sp). Just pm me your address. At the very least I'll send a white square.

Not only did my mom have breast cancer but my sisters mother in law had it too, but she's cancer free now. I had my sister calling me last month saying she found a lump but it turned up to be benign. So that was good. I keep an eye out for things, get my mam every year because it's so rampant. ANyone know what the statistics are one in every so many women, that sort of thing? I want to make an afghan for my sisters mother in law too. Oh and my daughters exboyfriends mom had it too, she's a survivor. She had cancer when they were still together, my daughter and her boyfriend.

ctawg- that is beautiful! It brought tears to my eyes as the funeral was today and we were all wearing the ribbons I crocheted for everyone. it was so touching and you have done a wonderful job on that square! Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

ETA: My mil is holding up ok but today was really hard on her. We just do what we can to help her but I think this ghan will give her a good feeling everytime she snuggles with it.

Archived