if you could only own one book ...

the very first pattern book I got is called Quick and Cozy afghans I love the patterns in it and they really are quick and cozy I have made several of them and have always gone back to that book before going through any others to find just the right pattern my book is so worn half the cover is gone and some of the pages are starting to fall out it was put out by Leisure Arts

That is a hard one.

I love having tons of books.

Hmmm. I would choose my Ready, Set, Crochet book because it has the basic stuff (which is what I do now) and then lots of different flowers and stitches as well, so that I could grow into more techniques. I don't use it a lot now, but I probably will as I get better.

... I would probably have an anxiety attack! lol

I love books so this is a toughie. Since I'm not very advanced something like the Crochet Bible (I think thats the name) would be my choice.

That is a hard one and I keep buying books trying to figure it out!!:manyheart

But as of today, it'd be Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet

It's pretty much got it all plus good color.

I think it would have to be one that had all different projects in it. I have one called Hooks Only Crochet, and although I am not in love with it, there are all types of projects with all different yarns, techniques, and difficulty levels in it. That said, I am addicted to crochet magazines :-)

• 3 months later...
A book with sample stitches in it. I have an old one that shows all the variations of SC, DC, and TC.

me, too~ me too~!

I have a sampler book, I started years ago, putting pieces of different styles of stitches which I learned. I also have comparable "knitted" stitches there as well.

I've only seen one that was from the late 1800's (which actually put me on the road).

It's such a lost art when women used to get together, share their designs, stitches, techniques, etc, whether it be in the basics, or creative forms.

For me, this turned into a useful teaching tool, my students can actually touch and feel the difference in the stitching.

It would be heartbreaking to lose this book.

~Annie

@>--,--- (by any other name)

That is a hard one and I keep buying books trying to figure it out!!:manyheart

But as of today, it'd be Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet

It's pretty much got it all plus good color.

If it were only one, I say +1 on this choice.

The instructions are clear, the stitch encyclopedia has good, clear pictures. The way the book is presented, the information lends itself to adapting, and coming up with one's own stitches and ideas.

Especially if one is new to crocheting, I think this is the one book to get.

This thought is just to cruel to even respond to! LOLOL! I would hafta pick something with a HUGE variety in it, but I don't have a specific one in mind. I seem to have lots of *little* booklets and bought patterns. (((((HUGS))))) sandi

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to say "100 Crochet Projects" because there is so much variety in that book. Everything from Round Ripples to hats to purses and everything in between.

It's the first book I look at when scouting for a new project.

:manyheart

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
A book with sample stitches in it. I have an old one that shows all the variations of SC, DC, and TC.

Same here, because after you know the stiches all it takes is a little imagination and one can make whatever they want.

My favorite crochet book is a big binder of all my favorite patterns in protective plastic sleeves. It saves me from searching everywhere for that special pattern. It has everything: potholders, baby sneakers, tissue covers, pincushions, afghans, even a kitchen witch and I add to it constantly.

Archived