Putting fabbric on back of afghan ??

JulieW

I haven't put one on a granny square afghan, but I've actually treated a piece of crochet as I did fabric, cutting it using a pattern meant for fabric. I lined it with suit coat lining.

Wouldn't a nice soft flannel feel great for an afghan? I'd just whip stitch it around the 4 sides. Then do ties (there's probably a quilting word for ties) in the middle of each granny square. Maybe you can do the ties with yarn and then turn them into a decorative piece of crochet on the top surface of the afghan.

I just googled youtube and got this demonstration of a surgeon's knot on a quilt. Looks like the technique would work. Maybe you could hid the ends inside the granny square the same way you'd normally hide end.

I too was thinking of doing this. making a bedspread for my daughter and wanted to line it with a nice soft cotton or something. Hope someone has had experience with this. Also curious as to how one would do it-- with a sewing machine?

You can use a sewing machine but with my sewing machine, I have to take some preparation. Use wax paper (I've used tissue paper but prefer the waxed). Prior to sewing the seam, place a strip of wax paper on the top surface and underneath the bottom surface. The paper allows the wax paper to hold the fabric as it goes under the needle and yet not get caught up in the foot or teeth. It's paper, so once the seam is made, you can carefully just tear away the paper. The sewing machine makes the paper perforated.

I'm going to make 3 or 4 extra squares and expieriment with it before I try it on my actual project. I will have to do this by hand because I do not own a machine. I'll let you know my results. thanks for your responses

Just a reminder...be sure to wash your fabric before sewing it to the afghan. Most cotton fabric, esp. flannel, will shrink and you need to preshrink it before fastening it to your afghan. After washing, dry it in a hot dryer before using it.

I've done it on several afghans/blankets. I didn't use my sewing machine, even though that would actually be quicker because I didn't want the crochet stitches flattened out by the sewing machine stitches.

What I did was cut a piece of fabric 2 inches wider and 2 inches longer than the crocheted piece. Turn it under twice and press. At this point you can stitch the edges down with the sewing machine to make it easier to work with. Then I whip stitch the backing to the crocheted piece. I think it really turns out nice this way and makes a nice soft backing, plus no holes to have fingers and toes poke through. ~ Debby

You probably could put fabric on the back of each granny square, but that would be really time consuming. I would probably stitch the granny squares into the afghan and then apply the fabric to the whole thing. Especially if you're doing it for the very first time. Maybe once you get more experienced with the whole process you can experiment with the indiviual granny squares.

You probably could put fabric on the back of each granny square, but that would be really time consuming. I would probably stitch the granny squares into the afghan and then apply the fabric to the whole thing. Especially if you're doing it for the very first time. Maybe once you get more experienced with the whole process you can experiment with the indiviual granny squares.

That could look really cool. It would look almost like a quilt then.

I think adding fabric to the back of an afghan is a pretty neat idea. I've seen normal blankets with little bits of yarn tying the layers together to hold the batting in place (I think that's called basting?). That could be done at each corner of the granny squares to hold the layers together.

Archived