graph afghans single crochet newbies and oldhatters

snapdragon928

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to get back into my groove. I went out of town over the weekend and started a baby blanket because the Bucs ghan is way too big and complicated to travel with! I did write out 10 rows of the chart. I find it much easier for me if I go row by row and write out, 40 white, 2 red, 5 black, etc. Instead of trying to read the chart while crocheting. The Buccaneers name portion is a LOT of 1-3 stitches of color. Some are so bad that it takes up 4-5 lines of notebook paper of writing 1w, 3r, 2b, 4g, 1w, etc... It's really intimidating!

Hang in there, I can't wait to see it when you do more. You are much more brave than me. I love the work but I just can't seem to stick with it. I tried one for the Bears but I gave up. Maybe I need to give it another try. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I have at last mastered how to follow a picture graph , i am now well over half way along into doing a seahorse ... i think the graph was made for filet crochet but i have followed the chart and i am doing it in half treble , the background is pastel green and the seahorse is in dark green , will post pic when finished , the trouble is i cannot put the thing down and the housework is going out the window:)

here is the finished seahorse , its not really big enough for a blanket but i was thinking of putting it in a frame

what do you think?

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z129/pepiv8/P1060580.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z129/pepiv8/P1060579.jpg

That is very pretty, You done good :-)

here is the finished seahorse , its not really big enough for a blanket but i was thinking of putting it in a frame

what do you think

Very pretty. I love the colors you chose.

• 2 weeks later...

The seahorse is so pretty! I Love the colors =)

My Bucs ghan is stalled out. I've completed about 10 more rows since my last picture, which is starting on the lettering and means a LOT of little colored balls in my bin. Unfortunately it's getting really hot to work on and I live in Florida with 90+F temps still. So I am suffering from a major lack of motivation to work on it even though I really want it done for Christmas this year.

Your afghan is so beautiful!!!! :manyheartCongratulations!!:applause I wish that I could master that technique!! I tried to do a small pattern and it did not look right:thair so I gave up!! I will have to look up and find a tutorial so that I can learn how to do it..

I started out in this thread a while ago... but life took over and I was forced to put the hook down... I am back though :) I started my graphghan (sc style) last night... got 17 rows in... only 224 to go! It is going to be a good bit bigger than I thought. I had thought I had my guage down pretty well and had it set to measure out 3ft but instead it is close to 4! oops! I forgot that I am using a J hook instead of my usual I so I guess that is what did it! OOPPS! Good thing it is a surprise gift for a good friend and not something that needed to be a set size! I was going for 3x5 and have a feeling it is going to by 4x6! About 30 more rows until color and then I will start posting some pictures. Simple design... a Longhair dachshund... purple of all colors but that is her favorite! :)

• 2 weeks later...
I have it in a magazine, I will have to locate it again and will tell you the exact name and date of it

If you still get on I have the magazine name and stuff, I will post it a little later :)

• 1 month later...
This is the first picture I've every uploaded so I hope it works.

This is probably the biggest afghan I have worked on. It's single crochet. I'm on row 120 and have 50 more rows to go. It's getting very heavy!

[ATTACH]30248[/ATTACH]

Absolutely gorgeous!!!!!! :manyheart

what do you think?

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z129/pepiv8/P1060580.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z129/pepiv8/P1060579.jpg

That looks great!

What about making it bigger by adding a picture frame look to the edging? Like this one I made:

post-8552-13589759564_thumb.jpg

This is probably the biggest afghan I have worked on. It's single crochet. I'm on row 120 and have 50 more rows to go. It's getting very heavy!

[ATTACH]30248[/ATTACH]

Oh, I LOVE the colors!!:cheer:clap

[ATTACH]30248[/ATTACH]

Beautiful! I love it. The colors are so bright an amazing and I love butterflies =)

Okay, I've laid out an afghan I want to do for Christmas. The idea started with my DH who wants me to prepare for next year's craft season and sell them. In the meantime, I figured I would try one for Christmas for him.

I have used the graph to lay it out but I've been crocheting for a month. My idea was to do black and garnet squares, crochet them together, and then "lace" the lettering through when the afghan is completed.

My question is if use the graph ghan then I would need to have three colors going at one time, correct? I would also be doing sc rows instead of granny square dc, etc., right?

Thanks in advance for the help and guidance.

post-43585-135897596762_thumb.jpg

Okay, I've laid out an afghan I want to do for Christmas. The idea started with my DH who wants me to prepare for next year's craft season and sell them. In the meantime, I figured I would try one for Christmas for him.

I have used the graph to lay it out but I've been crocheting for a month. My idea was to do black and garnet squares, crochet them together, and then "lace" the lettering through when the afghan is completed.

My question is if use the graph ghan then I would need to have three colors going at one time, correct? I would also be doing sc rows instead of granny square dc, etc., right?

Thanks in advance for the help and guidance.

If you did this as a graph ghan, my instinct is that yes you'll need 3 colors going at 1 time, but also that you'll need more than 1 of each color at a time so that you're not carrying different colors through the crocheted color depending how many stitches wide each block is. I'm new with graph ghans though and I would hope some of the more experienced will offer you some advice/suggestions :yes

Good luck :xfin

You will have only 3 colors but will have MANY balls of yarn going at the same time.

If you look back to November 8th, I posted a picture of a butterfly graphghan I'm working on now. Right now I have 28 balls of yarn going at once! It can get to be a real mess. When the yarn gets so tangled I can't pull the yarn through any more I spend an evening untwisting everything then get back to crocheting.

I think it's worth the frustration - I love making graphghans!

Good luck. I hope you enjoy making your graphghan.

Teri

You will have only 3 colors but will have MANY balls of yarn going at the same time.

If you look back to November 8th, I posted a picture of a butterfly graphghan I'm working on now. Right now I have 28 balls of yarn going at once! It can get to be a real mess. When the yarn gets so tangled I can't pull the yarn through any more I spend an evening untwisting everything then get back to crocheting.

Teri

You're more patient than I am - I usually cut the yarn and attach it again:lol

Teri

I have one going right now with 7 skeins attached, but every time I turn, I rotate the skeins so it doesn't get tangled :D Although with this method, I keep that ghan in one chair and don't move it nor do I use that chair at any other time :lol It's worth it though ;)

Archived