A complete beginner in Michigan

djrakowski

:welcome to the Ville and the wonderful world of crochet. It's sad that crafts have been gender identified. I remember when Rosie Greer said he did needlepoint (I'm dating myself :lol) and all the chatter that caused! It's wonderful that you want to teach your kids that it doesn't matter, if you want to do it, you can!!!

:welcome to the Ville and the wonderful world of crochet. It's sad that crafts have been gender identified. I remember when Rosie Greer said he did needlepoint (I'm dating myself :lol) and all the chatter that caused! It's wonderful that you want to teach your kids that it doesn't matter, if you want to do it, you can!!!
I found a story about a young man who plays football for Boise State who either crochets or knits. I'd bet that nobody is stupid enough to question his masculinity ;)

Our former pastor once told a story about a former member of his college football team. He visited him once after having been separated for a number of years, and was surprised to find him crocheting. Cool stuff, eh?

(and I remember hearing that about Rosie Greer - believe me, I'd never make fun of someone that big!)

What? No mention of Bill Elmore? He took up crochet after retiring from the military, and decided that there had to be a better way to do it. He developed what he called the "Elmore Method," and even published two books about it. I've got both of them around somewhere although the second one seems to have gone into hiding. Anyway, he pioneered some "no chain" foundations, and popularized extended stitches (which he called "Elmore stitches." Sadly, he died in 2005. His books are long out of print, but can occasionally be found on eBay, Amazon or similar sites. The titles are The Elmore Method and More Elmore.

Oh, and let me join everyone else in saying :welcome

What? No mention of Bill Elmore? He took up crochet after retiring from the military, and decided that there had to be a better way to do it. He developed what he called the "Elmore Method," and even published two books about it. I've got both of them around somewhere although the second one seems to have gone into hiding. Anyway, he pioneered some "no chain" foundations, and popularized extended stitches (which he called "Elmore stitches." Sadly, he died in 2005. His books are long out of print, but can occasionally be found on eBay, Amazon or similar sites. The titles are The Elmore Method and More Elmore.

Oh, and let me join everyone else in saying :welcome

Sounds like I should try to get my hands on those Elmore books. Thanks for the recommendation - and the welcome!

• 4 months later...

Hi DJ!

I just ran across this thread. Welcome to Crochetville, and to crochet! I'm also a man who crochets.

I love it. I started it as an escape from my computer related job about 30 years ago. It's very rewarding.

I'd be glad to give assistance, if needed.

Archived