A complete beginner in Michigan

djrakowski

Hello from warm, sunny Michigan! My wife is an avid knitter, so now that her crochet supplies are sitting idle, I thought I'd give it a try. I've seen a few inspiring patterns and have started to think I could actually do this, even though I've never been particularly crafty. So I'm sure I'll be asking plenty of questions - be patient with me!

So, are there any other guys out there? My 7-year old daughter laughed at me earlier in the week and said, "Daddy, men don't crochet! They might be able to sew, but they don't crochet!" I hope to prove her wrong some day by making her a matching hat and scarf set :crocheting

They are lots of men who crochet. New York City has a group of men who meet and crochet.

The Crochet Dude is active on this site and shares tips and patterns.

http://www.drewemborsky.com/

I was at the annual CGOA conference one year and the first prize juried contest winner was a man whose tapestry of Marilyn Monroe was awe-inspiring.

Here's an article from CGOA newsletter about crocheting men.

http://www.crochet.org/newslet/nl1296a.html

Try googling "men who crochet" for inspiration and company.

They are lots of men who crochet. New York City has a group of men who meet and crochet.

The Crochet Dude is active on this site and shares tips and patterns.

http://www.drewemborsky.com/

I was at the annual CGOA conference one year and the first prize juried contest winner was a man whose tapestry of Marilyn Monroe was awe-inspiring.

Here's an article from CGOA newsletter about crocheting men.

http://www.crochet.org/newslet/nl1296a.html

Try googling "men who crochet" for inspiration and company.

Ha! I just refreshed, and the ad at the top of the page is for "The Crochet Dude." I've read his blog a few times and browsed the descriptions and reviews of his books on Amazon.

Welcome aboard! I'm from Michigan too. I grew up in Warren, and my Aunt lives out there in Sterling Heights. I'm near Ann Arbor now. Anyhoo, I just wanted to welcome you here, and tell you that I am proud of any man who picks up a hook and yarn and creates something. It's not just a ladies or granny craft. There are a lot, and I do mean a lot of men who crochet. I'm still trying to put a crochet hook in my husband's hands. He said he would learn when he retires......which is in another year, so maybe I will be able to add him to the list of men who crochet. It's a hobby, it's a craft, it's physical and mental therapy! Most of all, it's enjoyable. Don't let any one taunt you! You go, Sir! We love our guys on here and when you make something, please share your pictures with us. We love to see what everyone makes. You are in good company here! We are all very supportive! I can't wait to see the expression on your daughter's face when she sees a hat and scarf made by you. She can brag and say, "My dad made this for me!"

Best wishes!

:hi:welcome A Big Hello & Welcome from CT !!! :welcome:hi

And YES we have several guys who crochet here on the site! - Hope you link up with them too!!!:yay

Thanks for the welcome! I've joined several forums that cover a variety of interests, from religion to writing to and everything in-between, and this is about the friendliest one I've seen.

It's great to hear that there are other men interested in this hobby. We've had some interesting reactions when people find out I'm interested in doing a "woman's hobby." An associate at Borders mentioned that she's interested in teaching her son to crochet and was quite friendly when she saw I was buying a how-to book. My wife got a similar reaction from an associate at Jo-Ann, though one customer (an older lady) seemed puzzled by the idea of a man crocheting. I popped into a LYS yesterday afternoon and the owner ignored me, so I left without buying anything (though to be fair, I'm not sure if that was because I'm male, or because she was busy).

Welcome aboard! I'm from Michigan too. I grew up in Warren, and my Aunt lives out there in Sterling Heights. I'm near Ann Arbor now.
Small world, eh? Do you know of any good LYS in this area?
Anyhoo, I just wanted to welcome you here, and tell you that I am proud of any man who picks up a hook and yarn and creates something. It's not just a ladies or granny craft. There are a lot, and I do mean a lot of men who crochet. I'm still trying to put a crochet hook in my husband's hands. He said he would learn when he retires......which is in another year, so maybe I will be able to add him to the list of men who crochet. It's a hobby, it's a craft, it's physical and mental therapy! Most of all, it's enjoyable. Don't let any one taunt you! You go, Sir! We love our guys on here and when you make something, please share your pictures with us. We love to see what everyone makes. You are in good company here! We are all very supportive! I can't wait to see the expression on your daughter's face when she sees a hat and scarf made by you. She can brag and say, "My dad made this for me!"

Best wishes!

Why, thank you! :blush My wife and I are brainstorming some projects we can work together (she with her needles, and my with my hooks). I want to show my children that they can pursue any hobby that interests them, regardless of whether people think it's exclusively male or female.
Welcome!:hook

We do have "crochetDad" here...and Drew was already mentioned...you're not alone!;)

Drew's stuff looks really cool. As I develop my skills, I'm sure I'll try some of his designs.

welcome from another Michigander I'm glad your showing your kids that whether your male or female you can do anything you put your mind to

Hello from Alaska! I know there's a guy from Anchorage here. And on the subject of males involved in textiles, one of my best guy friends is a knitter. I tried to teach him to crochet, but I forgot that he's left-handed. Ever since then I've been trying to teach myself to crochet lefty-style. Anyways, welcome! -M

Archived