kaitysmommy2001

Baby afghan with animals

24 posts in this topic

When I was a kid I remember my mother crocheting several baby afghans that had little animals in the squares. Now that I am crocheting I would love to make one, but she has no clue what the pattern was. Would appreciate anything anyone may have similar...I'll know it when I see it. Thanks!! :hook:crocheting

OK -- Got a couple of pics from my mom of the one blanket she has left... maybe these will help...

babyblanket001.jpg

babyblanket002.jpg

babyblanket003.jpg

Edited by kaitysmommy2001
adding pics

Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but here is one with jungle animals in the squares:http://herrschners.com/products/product.aspx?sku=200426P

Edited by fthrem
typo

:think Now I'm on a mission to find this afghan, it sounds so cute. Here are some animal squares:http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/detail.html?prod_id=22249

There used to be an animal squares afghan available on AOL hometown but I have no idea if there's a way to get those now that its closed down.

This blog has several really cute animal squares http://crochetroo.blogspot.com/2007/03/bonnet-babies-crochet-square.html

I hope you find what you're looking for, good luck!

I have been looking forever for a leaflet called " Crochet Animal Motif Blankets, Pillows and Bibs" by Annie's Attic #874411

Could this be the one you are thinking of? I'm still trying to find it.

the pattern you are looking for was on aol hometown i thought i had printed it but can't seem to find it i will keep looking wish me luck ..it really stinks that they took that web site down....

In the late 70's there was an afghan kit called "Baby Zoo" afghan. It was made in 5 panels. The panels were afghan stitch blocks and a shell stitch. A bunny, duck, elephant, kitty, lamb, and teddy bear were cross-stitchon the solid squares. I don't think ever seen this one in a book before. I do have the pattern for it.

I think you and I are looking for the same pattern. I found it @ Hobby Lobby in A Year of Baby Afghans, August, I believe. The book was $12.00. As it was the only pattern I wanted in the whole book, I was hoping to find something similar on this site.or, I'll wait until HL has another 40% off coupon.

I have a book with that type of pattern. It's called Color Bright Animal Afghans. You can find it at Michaels. I got mine off eBay for a fairly reasonable price.

This afghan may been a kit the only suggestion is make solid squares and copy the cross stitching of the animals to it and make your favorite block between the pattern ones. Many companies that produce crochet or knit kits for afghans no longer exist.

I just found this forum. If anyone is still looking for this pattern I have attached it here. Remember, there is a mistake in the order so be careful when cross stitching the animals. If you need help, let me know.

Edited by Amy
Delete pattern uploaded without permission of copyright holder

We really appreciate it when members help each other find patterns, but it's very important that we follow copyright law when doing so. It is copyright infringement and a violation of our forum policies to upload a pattern without the permission of the copyright holder, so I had to remove the pattern from the previous post.

Our policies are in place to protect our members and our site from legal issues related to copyright infringement.

Thanks for understanding! If anyone has any questions about our policies, you're always welcome to ask.

Years later and I am looking for this pattern, at least the name of the Zoo Animal pattern. It has been in the family for 3 generations now and I am trying to go by my old blanket but my skills aren't quite there! Unfortunately the BOOKLET link is dead now. Does anyone still have the pattern?

TheChemFreak, on 21 Nov 2016 - 8:41 PM, said:

Years later and I am looking for this pattern, at least the name of the Zoo Animal pattern. It has been in the family for 3 generations now and I am trying to go by my old blanket but my skills aren't quite there! Unfortunately the BOOKLET link is dead now. Does anyone still have the pattern?

There are so many vintage "Zoo" baby blankets out there so, I'll just guess if this is the pattern you seek? Ravelry requires (free) membership to download the pattern.

I think that afghan is called Toyfair. There is a kit for sale on ebay for Toyfair and one for Baby Zoo right now.   Toyfair afghan pattern is also in a book called "Blue Ribbon Afghans from America's State Fairs" by Valerie Van Airsdale Shrader.

Here is a link to the original Toyfair kit on eBay. The Buy It Now price is $21.49. It comes with all the original yarn and instructions. The kit was offered by the Bucilla company.

TheChemFreak, on 22 Nov 2016 - 12:56 PM, said:

Thank you ReniC those are similar, I'm actually looking for the pattern the original poster inquired about with pictures.

You're welcome.

I have that book and the pattern "Toyfair" by Joyce L. Salavitch is on page 138 in the "Blue Ribbon Afghans from America's State Fairs: 40 Prize-Winning Crocheted Designs" as was mentioned by RubyRed in post #18.

Amazon.com sells it used starting at $5.48 thru 3rd party agents if you're interested.

Out of curiosity, I checked Ravelry to search for any patterns by Joyce L. Salavitch and when I input the Toyfair pattern it came up immediately as a free download originally by Bernard Ulman Co.

I'm not sure if this is copyright infringement or not. I don't see any info for permission to post the pattern on Ravelry so to me it's iffy.

Please note that Amy may need to delete the link at her discretion.

Out of curiosity, I checked Ravelry to search for any patterns by Joyce L. Salavitch and when I input the Toyfair pattern it came up immediately as a free download originally by Bernard Ulman Co.

I'm not sure if this is copyright infringement or not. I don't see any info for permission to post the pattern on Ravelry so to me it's iffy.

Please note that Amy may need to delete the link at her discretion.

The link is on a very large, reputable site so I'm going to allow it to stay. The parent company runs all the "allfreecrochet" and other such websites.