Graph ghans

snapdragon928

Question

Is there a sight that tells you how to go about starting and stopping a color change? What about the mess on the back of the afghan? How do you go about it? They sent me papers I have to tape together to get the full graph, is that how it's usually done?

12 answers to this question

It depends on whether you're working in afghan/tunisian stitch or sc (or any other typical crochet st).

For afghan stitch, here's a good site I found: http://www.crochet.borgbilly.com/tutorial/afghan.htm

And one for sc: http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/join-new-yarn.htm

They've both got some decent tips on dealing with all the ends as well.

I've never personally seen a graph that had to be taped together. But if the whole thing won't fit on a single sheet, it's a perfectly reasonable way of going about it.

Good luck on your 'ghan! :)

Whole afghan graphs, especially detailed, on a 8x11 sheet of paper can be very hard to read each square.

So you usually recieve both, the single and then one that is each quarter that you can print out and tape together or just switch pages as you work across that is much larger and easier to read each square.

As far as how to handle it, most of us use bobbles or balls of yarn for each color section so that there isn't much of a mess as you pickup the next row if needed etc.

Those sites Nila gave you should help!

Good luck. They are not easy the first time but you'll love the outcome when you are done.

I had the same questions. Those sites are very helpful. Thank you so much!! I'm starting my first one and I'm so nervous about it!!

There is nothing to be nervous about. If you are all tensed up, you will go nuts. Just have your colors on bobbins, and if you are doing a sc crochet one always, always turn your afghan the same way. Turn it to get to the back side, then turn it back to get to the right side if you know what I mean. Leave long enough tails to weave in and don't carry dark colors over light. If you have to tie a knot, make it super small so it blends in with the back. The back should look just like the front. You will do fine. :)

thagreed.gif

Learn to do this when you start off making a graph-ghan not like me that gets a tangled mess when turning it in one direction all the time..:lol

I'm making one now. I started out doing it in afghan stitch but after 16 rows changed my mind and dong it in sc.. Have 59 rows done, but just starting on the graph. Hopefully today I can start changing colors..:D

CitiUSA had some useful tips but I can't seem to copy and paste the address so it works. Thank you for the tips and the sights, I am doing this in single crochet as I am bad at tusianian stitch. I made an afghan out of it and can't remember how to do it anymore. She sent me directions on how to do it, but I think I am better at single crochet. She sent basic instructions on how to do single crochet but not on changing colors. How does the back look the same if you carry colors? I will have to look at that sight. Got the yarn to do the first one!

There is nothing to be nervous about. If you are all tensed up, you will go nuts. Just have your colors on bobbins, and if you are doing a sc crochet one always, always turn your afghan the same way. Turn it to get to the back side, then turn it back to get to the right side if you know what I mean. Leave long enough tails to weave in and don't carry dark colors over light. If you have to tie a knot, make it super small so it blends in with the back. The back should look just like the front. You will do fine. :)

Thank you so much! You make it sound easier than I thought. I am really looking forward to making this because I've never made one before and always wanted to. I wasn't sure about the turning and if would look different as I went along. Thank you again!!:manyheart

...if you are doing a sc crochet one always, always turn your afghan the same way. Turn it to get to the back side, then turn it back to get to the right side if you know what I mean. ...The back should look just like the front...

This is the confusing part for me. I'd like to do one in SC also, but don't know what you mean when you say "turn the same way." If you turn at the end of the row, then you are going to start crocheting on the "wrong side" right?

LOL!!! Help!

This is the confusing part for me. I'd like to do one in SC also, but don't know what you mean when you say "turn the same way." If you turn at the end of the row, then you are going to start crocheting on the "wrong side" right?

LOL!!! Help!

Yes, you are crocheting on the wrong side.

I forgot the most important thing! :faint If you are doing it in sc, read the graph right to left and the next row left to right or it will not work out right. :)
:lol very important indeed. That would be a mess! you turn counter clock wise then clockwise or the other way around as long as you don't keep turning clockwise or counterclockwise all the time. Right? do you start on the top of the graph or the bottom or does it matter? I have got the plastic bags as suggested on another site for each skein of yarn but I forgot the sticky notes. I have the pattern put in plastic sleaves and the four sections taped together, two for the top and two for the bottom and ready to go, just have to get some other crochet done first. I seen on another sight that you can increase the size of the afghan by doing like two half double crochets for each square but that sounds confusing. The pattern squares are still so small and the squares aren't very clearly designated on my pattern due to the colors on it.

You start from the bottom and work your way up. Thank you for explaining the turning. My brain has been in sleep mode on how to explain it so people would understand it. I also make bobbins out of cardboard, they are shaped like a H. They hold a lot more yarn then ones you buy. If you want to increase the length of the afghan, just do more rows of the main color before you start your graph. If the graph calls for 5, you might do 8-10. Just make sure you have the same number of rows on each end. If you want to add to the width of the afghan, just make your chain bigger, and center your graph in the middle. Ok, small squares, there is a way around that also. I go to our local Kinko's and have them blow it up for me and put it on larger paper. That way there is less strain on your eyes. There are pictures on my site of graphed afghans. I am just finishing up one and should have a pic up tomorrw. I will take one of the back of it, so you can see how they should look. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions any time.

Archived