Have you made someone something that is unappreciated

I want to share an incident that happened between Christmas and New years.

A woman from my building, who attended our Wed. evening quilting circle, died just before Christmas and so her Memorial service was spaced in that time. She was only 6 years older than I am but she was on the liver transplant list at one time so her death was not completely unexpected by her family.

She was a great crafter and in fact my last memory of her is when she was showing us a coat she had made for her dog using a mix of yarns and her large Nifty Knitter loom.

At her funeral, her family was still complaining about the "stupid" hats that she had made them. I have to admit that I hear those words in my head every time I make a hat anymore.

I am sooooo not giving my hats to anyone I know ever again.

That is so sad!! :(

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes. My very own grandmother. I had made her a little coin purse -- one of the first first projects I had ever made. Thirty plus years later, after she had passed away, we were cleaning out her house and there was the coin purse, still in the box I had wrapped it in.

This one may not be a matter of the coin purse being unappreciated, as appreciating it so much that she wanted to put it away to keep it nice. My own grandmother was this way. When she passed away two years ago, all the nicest things she had been given - both handmade and storebought - were carefully packed away. She had it so ingrained in her mind that nice things were for not for everyday use that she wouldn't even use the dishcloths I made her - because they were too pretty. I had embroidered her and my grandfather a pair of pillowcases for their 50th anniversary, and there they were, still in the box. Of course I wish she would have used them, but on the other hand I know she appreciated them by keeping them clean and packed away so they wouldn't get ruined.

We can't always judge what people truly mean by the things they do. Unless your grandmother gave you some other indication that she didn't like it, please don't assume she didn't. From my perspective, she packed away that little coin purse to save as a memento from her granddaughter. Just my thoughts.

i only give my items to close friends and family that i know will use them. i dont think that my time is worth throwing away if someone wont use what they are given. I gave my sister in law a rug i made and you could tell that she couldnt wait to get home and put it in the garbage. i thought to myself...never again.

I made a comfort gift, a shawl, for a woman at work who was going thru a difficult time. It was beautiful but I might as well given her a gift certificate. I have noticed that some people can appreciate having something unique and others would prefer to have what everyone else has. Maybe she is one of those, maybe she was offended by a gift at that time, who knows but I know I reached out. That's good enough for me.

Yes. My very own grandmother. I had made her a little coin purse -- one of the first first projects I had ever made. Thirty plus years later, after she had passed away, we were cleaning out her house and there was the coin purse, still in the box I had wrapped it in.

Oh, please don't be sad about that. I would take that as an honor. My mom and dad would do something just like that. They would keep it all wrapped up and protected because it was to be cherished, not used up. My dad kept two things (that I'm sure of) over the years that I gave him. One he used on a daily basis until it was worn to the nub and the other I found in his keepsake wallet all folded up. Be honored!:hug

anna

oh boy i dont even know what to say you must have been just floored thats just awful

This one may not be a matter of the coin purse being unappreciated, as appreciating it so much that she wanted to put it away to keep it nice. My own grandmother was this way. When she passed away two years ago, all the nicest things she had been given - both handmade and storebought - were carefully packed away. She had it so ingrained in her mind that nice things were for not for everyday use that she wouldn't even use the dishcloths I made her - because they were too pretty. I had embroidered her and my grandfather a pair of pillowcases for their 50th anniversary, and there they were, still in the box. Of course I wish she would have used them, but on the other hand I know she appreciated them by keeping them clean and packed away so they wouldn't get ruined.

We can't always judge what people truly mean by the things they do. Unless your grandmother gave you some other indication that she didn't like it, please don't assume she didn't. From my perspective, she packed away that little coin purse to save as a memento from her granddaughter. Just my thoughts.

This was my first thought as well. I would see this as endearing rather than off-putting.

legalwoman, That little coin purse meant the world to your grandmother. Don't confuse someone safely cherishing a grandchild's gift and another person not liking something crocheted, knitted or whatever.

As a grandmother, myself, I cherish every little item my grandbabies have made me. I safely put their gifts away. I know that someday, when I am no longer here, they will find all their little treasures that I kept and they will know that I adored them and appreciated their love and kindness.

As for those people who don't like homemade items, with the way the world is going right now, my guess is that people will be learning to make their own clothing and growing their own food. Or, they will doing without both.

Aren't we glad, as crocheters, that we won't have that problem (esp. with all of our stashes to see us through). LOL

I have a funny story that fits this sort of situation...

My dad has always made fun of crocheting as "knotting yarn" (this is why I didn't start crocheting 20 years ago). My uncle pasted away recently and dad and I were cleaning out his apartment - deciding what clothes and things to donate to Goodwill, what we might keep and what needed to be hauled away in the garbage. Dad ended up finding the scarf I had made for my uncle about four months ago and said he was going to keep it. I asked him, "you really like that, huh?" and he said yeah. I started giggling and told him it was some of that "knotted yarn" and that I made it. You guys should've seen the look on his face! :D I had never even thought of making anything for my dad because of his joking about crocheting.

As for those people who don't like homemade items' date=' with the way the world is going right now, my guess is that people will be learning to make their own clothing and growing their own food. Or, they will doing without both.

Aren't we glad, as crocheters, that we won't have that problem (esp. with all of our stashes to see us through). LOL[/quote']

Yes, I for one am completely grateful that I've made so many afghans. It's made conserving heat so much easier! :D

I second asking them. I made a beautiful blue and white afghan for my father a couple years ago. He kept it in the box I gave it to him in, under his bed for a year and a half. I FINALLY convinced him to take it out, and it turned out that he was too afraid to get it dirty. It took half an hour to convince him that it could go in the wash just like any store bought blanket. Now, the only time it leaves the back of his couch is when it is in desperate need of cleaning, and he asked for another one to go over the love seat. So ask, there might just be a misunderstanding!

Yes, I amde a women a baby blanket, a bottle warner, 6 baby bibs, and a pacifier holder. I never heard a thank you and never seen her use any of it. I also made someone a fridgie. it was wanda the weather girl, it was braided with yarn and wiggley eyes glued on it, she had the audacity to ask if my daughter made it! It did not look like my nine year old made it. I also made another baby blanket for another women and when she opened the gift, the look on her face, you could tell she didnt appreciate it. Nor did I ever see her use it either. Oh well, you live you learn.

I crocheted a doily for a coworker for her birthday ONCE. With the decor of her house I thought the doily would fit right in.... I gave it to her, she looked at it, put in back in the bag, and thanked me. After I returned to my desk she came to me and said... you know this would have been so much better if you had made it a beige thread instead of white. I didn't respond when she said that, I was surprised because she is a craft person and knows the time and work that goes into making something. Maybe she was right, but if that had been me, I would have just dyed it with some tea and not said anything about it.

legalwoman' date=' That little coin purse meant the world to your grandmother. Don't confuse someone safely cherishing a grandchild's gift and another person not liking something crocheted, knitted or whatever.

As a grandmother, myself, I cherish every little item my grandbabies have made me. I safely put their gifts away. I know that someday, when I am no longer here, they will find all their little treasures that I kept and they will know that I adored them and appreciated their love and kindness.

As for those people who don't like homemade items, with the way the world is going right now, my guess is that people will be learning to make their own clothing and growing their own food. Or, they will doing without both.

Aren't we glad, as crocheters, that we won't have that problem (esp. with all of our stashes to see us through). LOL[/quote']

I understand that you and others think she put it away for a keepsake. But I knew her . . . she was a materialistic woman and only wanted the best of things. My little purse wasn't good enough.

"I understand that you and others think she put it away for a keepsake. But I knew her . . . she was a materialistic woman and only wanted the best of things. My little purse wasn't good enough."

Well, if that is the case, I am truly sorry....for your grandmother. She may have been materialistic, but, she certainly didn't understand the true value of things.

LegalWoman, you were a good granddaughter and I applaud you for that. Thank you for being kind to your grandmother and giving her a most valuable gift.

i sorta have, yes. a friends son got married and they had a baby. I made the baby a ghan w/ very specific ideas in place. was a granny square to give her tradition, her name was to be "rose" so I picked caron simply soft in a sorta purplish/pink color that made me think of a sterling rose. I did a crabstitch border as an inspiration to complete things no matter how difficult (since so many folks complain about the crab stitch).

The grandmother LOVED it all. The wife, well, she said she liked it; but never brought it w/ the child when they came w/ the grandmother to see me. When there was a falling about (LONG story to explain that, but basically, the wife is VERY lazy) between gm and the son/wife, the grandmother kept the ghan to make sure it wasn't destroyed or lost by the wife, and the child could have it later.

Sandy

I have had this problem too. Last year my cousin asked me to make her a new afghan for her son who had outgrown his other one. I went to AC Moore and picked out special yarn that matched the fathers favorite sports team. He and the baby "bond" over sports. I made a beautiful afghan if I do say so myself. I let her know when I was done with it. I don't drive so she was to come and pick it up, which was not out of her way since daycare was right down the highway from me. Months went by and still she did not come and get it. I called her numerous times to remind her that it was still here, waiting for her to come and get it. After about 9 months, I donated it to Project Linus and felt better for it, since I knew that it would be put to good use and appreciated. The thing that made me really mad is that she is a crafter also, so she knows how much time and effort goes into making something. Live and learn I guess.

I just do NOT get people who show no appreciation for the thought ad work that people put into homemade gifts!! It blows me away that people will belittle a gift that someone took THAT much time to plan and create for one particular person; I mean, how much more special can a gift BE???

I'll never forget two Christmases ago when I made a giant granny afghan for my sister, and when I told her I made it, she got the most awestruck look on her face and she said "You MADE this??" and was astonished that I had gone to that much work for her. :manyheart This year her gift to me was ALL crocheting supplies ;)

I made a gorgeous wrap for my mother in law last Mother's day out of a luxurious burgundy yarn. My husband and I split up on Mother's Day to spend the day with each of our moms; I had him bring it with him all wrapped up. I have yet to hear a single word about it. So I understand the feeling, I just don't get how people can do that. :think

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter has 6 kids, and i crochet edging on some fleece blankets for them for Christmas, she told me later they won't last- cuz the fleece absorbs smells- i had already given up on crocheting things for her family because she dislikes the 'holes' in crochet blankets- sigh.... i remember as a kid i was so fascinated by my grandmothers who made knitted and crocheted things for the kids-

I've had it happen - while visiting a friend back home in CA I was working on something for her - only to have her chuckle at the fact that I now crochet & joke about her dislike of the colors I chose. It stung for quite awhile...so I know how you feel.

I hope that soon your co-worker shows some appreciation! :hug

I had hubby come to me and ask me to make a blanket for a friends daughter. I make the prettiest round ripple and to this day rank it as one of my best ghans. Hubby took it to work and dropped it off. After three weeks I asked if he had heard how they liked the blanket. He called his friend who told him that it was still in the back seat of his daughters car unopened! I have never heard from anyone about the blanket, but I don't think she really cared what it was if she never opened it. She probable tossed it soon after.

That is heartbreaking- you put part of you into that blanket- its like going to the thrift store and seeing racks of crocheted afghans- all i can think of is how much someone put into it....

I feel the same way when I see those crocheted afghans at the thrift store. Sad. After reading some of the comments on Crochetville the last couple years about people being unappreciative of handmade gifts, I am really hesitant to make anything for anyone.

Archived