ABC Baby afghan

uboo64

Question

from Carons

wondering if anyone would know what I am doing wrong I followed the graph exactly but my letters and backwards my x is where my z should me and my z where my x should be and my z is backwards I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong

18 answers to this question

I was wondering if you are left handed! It took me forever to realize that some patterns had to be read "backwards" for me to make them right!

no I am right handed I think I am so confused right now lol

a friend of mine that did this pattern said you work it backwords but I have no idea what she meant

also so I don't sound like a complete fool I have scar tissue on the brain from

encephalitis as a child and sometimes simple things just don't compute in that area of my brain..I get it eventually but it sure can be frustrating it was a nightmare when I got married and I had to figure out hand and finger to put the ring on lol

thanks for the heads up on the Q...this pattern will NOT get the best of me lol I just realized I lost a sc crochet somewhere so I will frog a few rows AGAIN

I did a sc bobble pattern in a full ghan once before and swore I'd never do it again I never learn :)

You don't really need to frog it...I've lost a stitch many a time and just add one in somewhere. It seems to all work out as long as you make sure to line up the letters and the "bobbles" between the rows.

Oh my gosh I would have been crying like a baby! did you do the ghan again?

I didn't cry but I was mad at myself! Everyone thought I should just leave it and be unique but....I couldn't do it! The Q also is tricky...once you forget that little tail first you will always remember to do it!

thanks for the heads up on the Q...this pattern will NOT get the best of me lol I just realized I lost a sc crochet somewhere so I will frog a few rows AGAIN

I did a sc bobble pattern in a full ghan once before and swore I'd never do it again I never learn :)

thank you all so very much and for those who even took the time to write the pattern out for me, I cant believe you all took the time to do that :hug

I am off and running now, it threw me reading the even rows from the other side as they numbered all the rows on the right, I'll be sure and post pics when it's done

thanks so very much again :manyheart

i used to flip the graph and work it differently. i later learned that i do not need to flip it and make it all complicated. i was making more work for myself.

so just ignore about me working it backwards.

====================================

the first row (and all odd rows) is all sc. you read to chart right to left.

the even rows you read from left to right- you would start with the x, s, n, i, d, a. if your puff stitches fall to the opposite side when you make them then leave it. if they fall on the side you work them you will have to push them to the other side as written in the pattern.

I think I will put it away for the night and check back in the morning before my head explodes :lol

thanks so much everyone for helping me out..I will try again tomorrow

thank you :hug

sorry I am confused, I did the pattern twice and I always end up on the right side on the pattern on the row for the first puff stitch letter should I disregard that and just read those rows from the left?

I am not a new crocheter lol so I don't know why I cant figure this pattern out, its making me nuts :think

if you are right handed the even numbered rows should be read from left to right. these are the rows with the puff stitches. you would be coming to the x first. and the puffs should point towards you (right side) while you work the puff stitch rows.

after you crochet the first row of sc, which letter do you come to first when you are working the graph? also, when you work the puff stitches do they fall to the front or the back of your afghan BEFORE you push them?

I come to the Z first I am sorry I am not sure what you mean about the puff stitch but after I push them they are facing the other side of my work, the back of them are to me if that helps

thanks everyone

after you crochet the first row of sc, which letter do you come to first when you are working the graph? also, when you work the puff stitches do they fall to the front or the back of your afghan BEFORE you push them?

without seeing it, I'm not entirely sure, one question though, are you --

Do you read from the right side of the graph to the left side on one row and then the next row read from the left side of the graph to the right side?

Or I'm wondering if it is a combination of the that and this: if you started reading the graph either from the top or the bottom and then forgot which way you were reading it and started doing it from the other end. (just speculating)

One thing I always do that helps me is instead of reading it from a graph, I make the 'graph' into a written pattern. Maybe that will help.

Archived