Crochet Cruise

dorischan

I took a look at your itinerary. It is nearly identical to our trip this past year in China. I had a hard 3 days on the Yangtze River because I get so sea sick and not even the prescription ear patches eliminated it. I had some crocheting with me, but what fun it would be to do this as a group.

Some travel tips:

1. Take layers of clothing because you're criss-crossing a huge country. I ended up wearing two pairs of workout pants for a couple of days because of the cold. In Hong Kong, it was so warm my sleeveless stuff was great.

2. Think about getting your hair shampooed there. Most times a wash and blow dry cost less than $10 and come with a shoulder and scalp massage. Wonderful!

3. Along the same lines: get a foot massage. They're usually about an hour long for less than $10.

4. You'll need bottled water even for brushing teeth. It's not an insult to cleanliness or anything like that. It's just that there's difference bacteria and your stomach may not be able to handle them suddenly. Go outside the hotel to small stores like the 7-11 to purchase water and toilet tissue.

5. Toilet tissue in public bathrooms may or may not exist. Be on the safe side and buy a couple of tissue cubes. These cubes have multiple uses -- table napkins, kleenex, and tp. Very cheap.

6. Be careful of even places like airport restaurants. I enjoyed a wonderful cappucino at one airport lounge. About an hour later, I went to the ladies' room and found the coffee cups being washed in the single bathroom basin. I was hoping that the cappucino steam had also killed germs.

7. There's a great pearl and jade market in Hong Kong. Your country guide may not want to show you where it is, but it's marked on many tourist maps and is easily walkable.

8. Buy a funky pair of prescription eyeglasses in Hong Kong. Bring your prescription, pick out the frames, and they're ready within hours. Usually under $100 for everything including progressive frames.

• 2 months later...

This event has been cancelled, shucks. But I have moved my world teaching premier to another venue, the Fiber Summit Series Abroad, during a 10-day crochet adventure in the Italian Alps, late September 2010. Karen Whooley and I will be doing crochet workshops and classes between drinking wine and swooning over spectacular scenery. I will be starting another thread and spilling more details soon. Yours, Doris

Archived