UMMMMM Special OLympic Selling Scarves for Donations

Well, if anybody wonders how the Special Olympic Scarf project turned

out, here's a news story:

http://www.nwcn.com/video/featured-index.html?nvid=326275

Evidently, the people who report the news believe that every scarf

received was knitted. I read in another group that the scarves were

everywhere in Boise. Several stores are selling them for a donation (to

go to Special Olympics), including Wal-mart, selling them for $2.00.

Personally, the next time I consider investing my time trying to make

something for a good cause, I'll probably just write the organization a

check for what it would cost me for materials + postage.

I heard on that video that they gave every person involved is getting a scarf but they had so many they are selling the leftovers.WOW most of them looked crocheted to me!BUT only 2.00 it cost more in yarn and time then that!Think this is being missed handled.

:eek I'm glad they got such a huge response but selling them for $2? Do you know how much trouble I had finding Delft Blue? I honestly don't mind them selling the overs but the money needs to go to ALL the handicapped communities, not just the one hosting the Olympics. And they need to sell them for more than 2 bucks. Yeesh. Most of the ones in that video seemed crocheted, not knitted. I think I only recognized one knitted one. They can't tell the difference? I can! :lol

OK, they said "knit" instead of "Knit and Crochet"

The scarves are for a "Donation" the girl in the coffee shop said donations went from $5-$20.

The only money going to local charity is money left over after the costs of the games are covered. I doubt it will be much.

File this under "Be careful what you wish for!"

I donated a few scarves and I'm glad they were able to find something to do with the extras....however, the $2 price tag IS low. As someone pointed out, the yarn cost more than that! I also thought it was interesting that they made a comment about this becoming a tradition...I think there will be a lot of people that don't bother donating next time because of this.

however, the $2 price tag IS low. As someone pointed out, the yarn cost more than that!

I paid $2.00 or slightly more for the yarn. I got 3 scarfs out of two skeins of yarn. Yeah I know my labor counts for something but in this case it doesn't really bother me.

The scarves are for a "Donation" the girl in the coffee shop said donations went from $5-$20.

That's what I thought and I'm pretty sure most people will put more than the smallest amount in.

And if someone can only afford $2 that's still good since the money still goes to SO.

My scarves never got sent, because with everything happening here (b/f's mom was receiving Hospice at the time), i forgot to mail them.

Honestly, watching that video really, really hurt. I won't get into the main details, because i know it'll spark a debate, and i'm not going there.

I watched the video and the shopowner interviewed said the donations were anywhere from $5.00 to $20.00 per scarf. I didnt see anything about selling them at WalMart for $2.00. I think they have handled the extra scarf dilemma in the best way they could so that they will be used and will bring in more money for either the atheletes or the disabled in the area. They certainly couldnt send them back and I would hate to think of them all sitting on a shelf somewhere collecting dust! I would definitely do it again if asked!

Doreen

i couldn't make sense out of the video b/c my connection was not very good at the time...but what i gathered from it was there was ALOT ALOT ALOT of scarves leftover, and the ones they showed were mostly CROCHET (but i understand that most people who don't know about our art think its the same thing) and that the donation minimum was $5.

I did not donate to this charity, but if i had've, i would be okay with the donation portion. I would be offended if they sold them for only $2 - they should be sold for at least $10 to encourage a larger donation. And if they are considering doing this again next time, why not just hold on to the scarves until then???

I would be offended if i walked into a Walmart (or anywhere) and saw a scarf i made being sold for only $2.

I just watched the video and nowhere did I hear that the scarfs were selling for $2.00. I heard the word donation mentioned alot. I also heard that each person involved with the Special Olympics got a scarf and that the leftovers were being put out to help raise money for the Special Olympics. I am fine with that. If someone wants to donate money for a scarf I made out of yarn from my stash, no problem. I have two cousins that are going to Boise for the Olympics, and I made their scarfs. It costs a whole lot of money to put on an event like this and I think is it a great idea to use the extra scarfs, they could have just thrown them away. Just too bad they can't tell the difference between knitting and crocheting.

I think where everyone is getting the $2 price tag from is when the OP said people on another forum reported Walmart was selling them for that price. It wasn't mentioned in the video. I can understand that Walmart would have to put an official price tag on them instead of asking for a donation. With some of the crowd that frequents Walmart, they might just think "donation" meant they weren't obligated to pay anything and take the scarf for free! :lol If Walmart really priced them that low, that must be what the general public thinks of hand made articles. Barely worth the price of the yarn and absolutely nothing for time or talent. :(

From my perspective, I did this in conjunction with my sister as a community service project for my nephew's first grade class. The kids had a blast decorating the scarves with notes and pictures and all they knew is that they were sending them to special athletes. However the Special Olympic committee chooses to disperse them to support the athletes is cool with us.

We gave a gift, freely given, from our house, and how the recipient chooses to use that gift is all good with us here. Besides I had so much fun crocheting with my daughter and how excited my nephew and his class were that I already got my enjoyment out of it.

I just never want to see Delft Blue again! :lol

:hookColleen

I was considering donating a scarf. I am glad I did not donate one now. Why don't they keep the scarves for future games? I would be offended at selling a scarf for $2. I seriously think that a lot of people may not donate scarves next year because of them selling them for $2. I know I wont be donating.

Although I didn't participate in tis one, dont know how I missed it, must have been il at the time, I think the video was a great promotion for the SO, from what I understood, they were saying they never expected the outpooring of love they got by all the scarves, and that it would be a tradition that everyone would were the scarves to the games then. Too bad they didnt know when the games were going on how many extra they would have , I am sure the families would have gladly donated money to wear one in support, and freinds for that matter. YES many people don't know the difference between Knit and Crocheted, but we have to chalk that up to kowing not everyone is a WONDERFUL crafter, like us all. Anyways that is my honest take on it. I would be proud IF I donated one.

Depending on how the CPSIA rules turn out, we may not be able to make scarves for donation next year. If they have the storeage.. it might've been better to keep them.

I never got mine finished and mailed, but if I had I don't think I would've minded them being sold for whatever donation they could get. Once a gift is out of my hands.. it is no longer my concern on what is done with it.. otherwise it's not a true gift. (IMO.. no offense intended to those who hold other views).

I wasn't able to get mine out either. I had 2 washed and ready but just couldn't get them out (time got away, things came up, etc).

Anyway I think they needed better organization in this. Maybe someone in charge at the SO and where someone from here or other groups could contact and then have a donation rate for each group, for example 100 from Crochetville, 30 from a group in a state, etc., so they don't get overwhlemed. Maybe next year.

I'm not sure if I'm upset or not. Since I didn't send them. And if I had, Like Lisa said, it's a gift and once given out of my hands what happens to it. But I did think they would go to the athletes.

I guess they had to figure out a way to take care of all the extra scrafs...

F.Y.I.: A forum on Ravelry was/is discussing this same issue, and one poster, who lives in Boise said (and I'm paraphrasing here) that Special Olympics is promoting the scarves as a way for the Boise community to support SO. She also said that she was awed and amazed by the number of people who were buying the scarves at the various locations where they are offered (with 100% of the money going to SO). It sounds like Boise will be swimming in blue and white for the next few weeks. What a great visual to show the athletes that everyone is with them and supports them.

I hope this makes those of you feeling conflicted over this situation feel better. Patty

F.Y.I.: A forum on Ravelry was/is discussing this same issue, and one poster, who lives in Boise said (and I'm paraphrasing here) that Special Olympics is promoting the scarves as a way for the Boise community to support SO. She also said that she was awed and amazed by the number of people who were buying the scarves at the various locations where they are offered (with 100% of the money going to SO). It sounds like Boise will be swimming in blue and white for the next few weeks. What a great visual to show the athletes that everyone is with them and supports them.

I hope this makes those of you feeling conflicted over this situation feel better. Patty

:cheer:cheerThat is great news!!:cheer:cheer

Yes, my understanding is that all the athletes and the volunteers got their scarves (some paraded in the inauguration parade wearing their scarves). I'm assuming then all the volunteers got theirs, too. But they received more than 50,000 scarves (at least, that's the figure I keep seeing online), ten times what they were expecting. ANd they still didn't have all the money they needed for the Olympics, so they're using the remaining scarves as a fundraiser. Patty

Great:clap in this economy it's nice that people are able to find a little extra to help out.

I mailed out three scarves and I am amazed that 50,000 were received. :hook This is my first time participating in a crochet for charity event and I am not disappointed at all.

I think it will be fantastic to see all of Boise proudly wearing the Delft Blue and White scarves as a show of support :cheerfor the Olympians. Hopefully the athletes will see the scarves wherever they go during the games and feel a connection to the city, the residents and their fellow Olympians. :hug

Shelley

The special olympics tourch just came through our town a few days ago (I live in Bonners Ferry, Idaho). Didn't even know it was coming through here but it was cool to read about it in a local paper though.

Julee

Archived