March is Nat'l Crochet Month-Ideas for A Crochet Out???

I was at my knit/crochet guild yesterday and it was mentioned that March is Natl Crochet Month. We would like to have a crochet out and make some kind of community art project to draw attention to the art. Any ideas?

One of the ones that came up was crocheting longgggggggg scarves for some of the public statues around town, a cozy for a smart car (if I'm going to put my stitches into something it won't be to decorate a car, but hey one person thought it was a great idea), comfortghans for the homeless shelter, veterans hospital etc.

Any thoughts?

:lol had to giggle when I saw the smart car cozy made me think of tht motorcycle cover from what not to crochet :lol

I think scarves for the homeless shelter would be a nice idea.Since some of these poeple go back into the street a scarf can be wrapped and put into pocket and kept with them.They can use them for pillows and so forth.Maybe go to the local news or paper and make them aware of it (march as the natl crochet month).Just like someone just posted the link to newspaper about the woman who uses grocery bags on here.

I just did a search for Statues in Omaha NE. You have some fabulous ones to work with!

How about some doggie coats for the juggler's puppy!

Definitely a long scarf for the saxaphone player.

The mime is another one begging for a scarf.

I think the scarf idea is WONDEFUL!! How about making a bunch of ghans for the shelters, homeless, and just tying them together so they can be taken apart and distributed, so it would be like the quilt for Aids....just an idea...my mind isnt full of them today..lol

Yep we need to talk with the chamber of commerce, etc and see if we can get the necessary permissions so we're not charged with defacing public property etc. We're working on that now

Hats, scarfs, mittens, blankets, totes, sweaters, anything warm is great for the homeless shelters. those large totes are great for carrying things around in. Many homeless must wear their heavy items even in the summer because they have no other way to take them with them. I used to belong to a group that would make large totes and fill them with travel ghans, hats, mittens, scarfs, washclothes and toiletries like toothbrushes, toothpaste, hair products, tp and whatever else we could think of. Non parishable food..... It really helps to have a lot of different items to make.

Archived