lizzykate

why are my ends curled?

Question

hello!

i'm new here...not very good at crocheting yet. i've only done scarves so far but my ends are consistently curly. here's a photo:

curlyends.jpg

they seem to be curly in a spiral formation. any idea why? is there something i'm doing wrong or something i can do to prevent this??

thanks!

lizzykate

9 answers to this question

Your scarf looks very nice! You could try blocking (steaming) the ends down. First pin it to your ironing board, then steam it. Do not let the iron touch the scarf. Let it sit to dry.

You might be using too tight of a tension or using to tight of a turning ch on the ends.

thanks for the responses! yes i'm probably doing it to tight. i tend towards tighter rather than looser. as long as i'm not doing something incorrectly. i'll try a looser turning chain and see how it goes.

i used a color changing thread on that scarf. i haven't tried changing yarns yet but i'm doing that with my next piece so hopefully it will work out. everything i looked up just says to tuck in the ends...that makes me a little nervous but if that's the way it's done...

One way that may settle your ends a bit is if you do a ch st fringe on the ends. You just work a sc into each stitch and ch 15- 20 in between. I love the chain stitch fringe myself.

My guess is also the tension. I'm sure that if you blocked it, it would cut down on the curling.

Donna

You didn't do anything wrong, sc has a tendency to curl a bit. If you put an edge to it as Darski said it will tame the curl. I think a lot of beginners have tight tension (I know I did).

As far as tucking in the ends (thread tails) , here are some tips to make sure they stay tucked

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/ends.htm

:hook

Hi:

I have that problem too. Thanks for the information.

Kathy

Salt Lake City:crocheting

You didn't do anything wrong, sc has a tendency to curl a bit. If you put an edge to it as Darski said it will tame the curl. I think a lot of beginners have tight tension (I know I did).

As far as tucking in the ends (thread tails) , here are some tips to make sure they stay tucked

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/ends.htm

:hook

yes i noticed it wasn't as curly on the dc scarf i did. i started my piece...trying not to be too tight....and counting my stitches as i go....so far so good. it doesn't seem to be curling. :clap

I have a habit of making my starting chain too tight, so I go up a hook size for my chain, then I switch to the size appropriate for the yarn. That seems to work for me.