lizdini

who taught you to crochet?  

612 members have voted

1. 1. who taught you to crochet?

• a professional
    • a family member/friend
    • self-taught with help from books/internet
    • just picked up a hook and never looked back

My husband's step-mother came to visit two summers ago, and spent 2 weeks in my house. I'd tried to learn several times before then, but she had the time and patience to work with me. She taught me chain, SC, DC, HDC. I carry it with me always, and a lot of people ask me to show them how to crochet. So I've managed to spread what she taught me to others, and she's so proud.

My mom taught me to crochet. I was probably between 10 and early teens... cant really remember - I just know I was young. I've been "hooked" ever since :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Grandma tried tooo many times to teach me to knit, but I always went back to my crocheting. I haven't given up on knitting, but :crocheting:crocheting:crocheting:crocheting will always be my thing. :yes

It actually took a number of people/things to get me to where I am today... which is nowhere near experienced :-) My mom tried to teach me a few times, but I am difficult, and she is impatient! LOL She kept telling me, "Give it here, let me show you." She would get so frustrated with me. So then I tried learning through books. I tried all the "Leasure Arts" books like I cant believe I am crocheting and the like. I got just so far with that, then I needed someone to show me what to do next. So I went to Michaels and a wonderful woman there took me in for one-on-one lessons (which they dont usually offer. I think she did it because I was VERY pregnant :-) Now I can read patterns and usually get them right :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I got a how-to kit from Michael's in 2002 and learned how to crochet a drawstring bag, and for a while that was all I did. But I didn't really get into crocheting seriously until this past summer, when I took a book out from the library, and then just a few days later found a kit at Borders that came with 5 hooks and 50 pattern cards (for just $8, I felt like it was fate), and between the two of those, I realized that I had been crocheting only in the backloops before. ^_^b.... So yeah, I'm self-taught.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember that i was about 13, and at school in the lunch break i saw a girl sitting on the floor in the cloakroom , busy crocheting a large granny blanket .

I must have been staring at her because she looked up and said would you like me to show you how to crochet ,and i sat on the floor and she showed me how to crochet .

i was so pleased that i could do it ,and when i got home i was soon making myself a big granny square.

And the thing is i cant even remember who the girl was or even picture what she looked like .All i remember was that huge blanket on her lap

Edited by may

When I was little (probably about 10) my mom taught me how to do a chain. I could do a mile long chain but got frustrated because I couldn't understand how to go back across it. Once I was grown, my SIL was doing a granny square and showed me how (made my mom mad that someone else could get me to do it!!). I made a granny square vest for my 2 year old nephew and I've been crocheting ever since. Reading a pattern was hard to learn but a friend taught me how to do that. So 37 years now, I've been crocheting for family and friends.

My mom taught me to knit when i was about 7 or 8 (we're both lefties). I never did more than a plain knit & purl piece. I always wanted to learn to crochet cause it went so much faster, but i never could figure out the 1st row after the chain. my daughter went to church camp when she was 8 or 9 (now 19); she came home bragging her friend had "taught" her to crochet, of course it was just the chain. i got her to go to her Great Aunt Sally once a week for lessons. of course, Aunt Sally ate it up. When she came home from "class" she would show me what she'd learned, & i was able to figure it out & convert to leftie language. so, my 9 yo daughter taught me to crochet

My aunts taught me to crochet by just being there. After growing up and discovering this wonderful thing called the internet I found out there's a lot more stitches than tunisian. So I guess I'm internet/ aunt taught *lol*

Self-taught...my mom is an expert knitter, and I decided that if I took up knitting I'd forever be unfavorably comparing my work to hers.

My grandmother used to crochet, though, and I was always intrigued. It saddens me now that I never asked her to teach me...and now she's not capable of it and I'm too far away in any case. *sigh*

My dm rest her soul taught me when I was 8 I'm a leftie she was a rightie, but I sat opposite her and tried to emulate what she did. We didn't have patterns we just wanted to make something, and just figured out how to do it from there.

I was in the Army in 1974 just having gotten married. 3 months later (yes, AFTER basic) i found out i was pregnant. While waiting to be discharged a bunch of us in the same situation where sitting around talking and one girl was crocheting. I asked her "Please teach me. I have always wanted to learn!". So she started me out making a baby (duhh) blanket which ended up hilarious. it started out being about 25" wide but by the time i finished it the other end was about 36" (learned to loosen stitches). I ended up miscarrying but gave it to my sister who was pregnant at the same time and her daughter still has it saying "Auntie, you made this, the first thing you ever made and it is very special to me". AAHHHHHH!

Since then after learning to read directions (like a foreign language) about a year later, i know am not afraid to try to make anything. Crochet on!!!!

I grew up watching my grandma and great grandma knit and crochet. Early teens I took a class to learn now to knit, it didnt stick at all. A few years ago several friends were discussing crochet patterns & projects. I thought it looked like something I could handle and picked up a set of hooks and some yarn the next time I was out, looked up a few "how to" websites and now its my turn to pass this gift on to my girls.

2 of my treasures are crochet baby blankets. One Ive had since I was tiny, great grandma made it. The other was started around the time I had my oldest daughter (11 in July), great grandma passed away before being able to finish it. My grandma (her daughter) found it, finished it and sent it to me for Shay's first birthday....its out of reach for the moment, to be given to Shay at a time she'll understand how special it is.

My aunt taught me to chain and make a DC when I was pretty little, but I had never really pursued it until last summer. I was in the hospital for a couple of months- and a nurse brought me an H hook and some red RHWW because she thought I was really bored. She reminded me how to chain and the DC I fiddled around with- made a very ugly afghan for my dog while I was waiting for the doctors to make up their minds about me. When I got home, my very first shopping trip, I bought a book that taught me several stitches and everything else I learned from here and free patterns and You Tube. Love this community that can help a person develop a hobby into something more!

My grandmother taught me almost 3 years ago and I'm so happy she took the time to teach me. I am the only one on that side of the family who has taken an interest in learning (women in the family have been crocheting for generations). It may have skipped a generation but hopefully someday I will have a daughter to teach!

I learned from my mother-in-law the most basic things ( I am not a very good student to teach )I have to learn it myself or I don't really understand) That was six or eight years ago and now the only thing that I haven't taught myself to do is baby clothing and to read patterns( probably never learn that!;))

• 3 weeks later...

I taught myself. I attempted to learn many times, but I could not figure out where to put the hook after the foundation chain. :lol

I finally gave up trying to learn crochet and taught myself to knit instead. :eek

After knitting a few years, I decided to give crochet another try, and here I am. With the help of videos, I was able to discern where to insert the hook, which was my major stumbling block. I still consider myself a beginner, but I try to teach myself new stitches or motifs every week. Since I managed to teach myself crochet, I have not picked up my knitting needles once. I find crochet to be a bit more fun and creative than knitting. :yes