lizdini

who taught you to crochet?  

612 members have voted

1. 1. who taught you to crochet?

• a professional
    • a family member/friend
    • self-taught with help from books/internet
    • just picked up a hook and never looked back

My Grandma tried to teach me how to crochet as a munchkin, but I never figured out how to work into the chain. Then my mother-in-law showed me the basics after I got married and with the help of some books and online forums :hook I feel pretty good about my skills. So I was wondering, who taught you to crochet?

A wonderful lady at a former church I went to named Judy. My Mom taught me how to chain when I was little. She passed away when I was 15. Being a lefty, I was too young to have much patience to learn. So, when we moved to TN., they were starting a class at church and I thought, "I'll give it another shot"!

I am so thankful I did! I loved the things my mom made and now I get to do the same kinds of things!!!

My grandmother taught me the basics years ago. I then didn't pick up the hook for many years and she had already passed when I wanted to get started back so I hit the internet, found lots of video tutorials and was able to pick it back up.

Me - myself and I ! I had a neighbor who knit and taught me but it was just after I was married that I took an interest in learning crochet - I don't know why but I just got bit by the bug so to speak!

I taught myself with a "how-to-crochet" kit from Michael's! :D

I think I've told this story before, so forgive me if you've already read it. When I was about 11 or 12, I asked my dad's cousin (who was and is like an aunt to me) if she'd teach me how to crochet. She made these incredible doilies, and I wanted to make them too! She said, "Oh, no, that will be too hard for you, I'll teach you how to knit, though!" Well, the knitting didn't stick with me at all, because it wasn't what I wanted. It was almost 15 years later when I decided, "You know, I never did learn to crochet, and I still want to. I'm going to teach myself." Went to Michael's and bought the kit, and went online for more help... And I haven't looked back since. :D

My gram taught me how to crochet the basic stitches -- chain, single and double crochet. She was able to look at something and figure out how it was made. She then could proceed to make her own. She never learned how to read a pattern. I, on the other hand, did not inherit the "look at it and make it" gene. I bought a couple of books to learn how to read a pattern and do more complicated stitches.

I have always wanted to learn. I bought the kit from Michael's, couldn't do it. My dad's wife showed me, didn't stick. Then one day while at work, a new lady came to be my backup scanner. We were scanning coordinators at a Harris Teeter. We would work 1 night a week hanging that weeks sales tags. There were a lot of nights that we got finished so early and had to wait for the stock crew to finish before we could do anything else, so we needed something to do. She said she was going to bring her crochet and I asked her to teach me. That was about 3-4 years, ago. Since then, I have made afghans, lapghans, baby sweaters, baby blankets, toys, doll dresses, bookmarks, etc..., I just can't stop, and of course, the yarnaholic club is talking about making me CEO. Lisa Scarboro, thank you for sharing this wonderful gift with me.

My grandma taught me and then I dropped it and kind of relearned on my own. My Great Grandma did try to teach me but she only spoke German and Italian and I didn't understand her so that was when my grandma stepped in. I am still learning in some aspects (I have yet to design my own clothing nor made any advanced clothing items) but I know the basics now.

My mom taught me how to chain by hand when I was 6! She tried teaching me to make doilies but never got the hang of using thread!! Waited until in my 30's before starting again with yarn!! DH says I would go crazy if I lost the use of my hands!!

A friend of mine from high school named Terri Schmid. I wish I knew where she was now -- I'd thank her profusely for starting me on such a wonderful hobby. Anyway, when we were juniors in high school, she brought in something she was making. I was fascinated and asked her if she would teach me. She showed me a single crochet and a double crochet. I taught myself how to read patterns. 36 years later, I'm still "hooking". LOL

Thanks, Terri, wherever you are. :hug:hug:manyheart:manyheart

I'm self taught. When i was a child my mother tried to show me how to make a chain and do a few rows. It never would come out straight.

Almost 3 months ago, I taught myself using the internet, and I love it!

My dad still has the picture of the E.T. toy that was wearing the shawl I made right before it was stolen....

Had to relearn when I was 16 though and haven't stopped since!

A co-worker taught me. I kept seeing all of these beautiful afghans she'd make and couldn't take it any longer...I HAD to learn! She was just a beginner at the time and we've helped each other learn all kinds of new things since.

I taught myself when I was 15, bought a "I Taught Myself To Crochet" Book and haven't looked back. I have hooks, books and yarn all over the house :) I crochet on my lunch hour and breaks and while on the computer. If I could figure out to crochet and ride my motorcycle at the same time I would...lol!!!!

I taught myself how to crochet(at the age of 16) with the help of a crochet book/kit my granny got me for my birthday last year. It honestly took me less than an hour to learn the single, half doubble, and doubble stiches. It kinda helped that I had a bit of knitting experence beforehand ^_^

My mom and oldest sister taught me how to crochet back in the late 1970's. But for years all I would make were granny square afghans. Not afghans made up of small granny squares but ones that were one big granny square. Finally in the very early 90's I began to try to read and crochet from a pattern. I had some help from my sister but by that time I had moved away (3 hours away) from my sister so it was just during visits when she could help me. Also she was terminally ill with cancer at this time. I think deep in my heart I knew she wouldn't be around much longer to help me. She not only could read patterns but she could look at a picture or look at a crochet item and figure out how to make it. She was something. She passed away in May 1992 and our mom had passed away years earlier, April 1981, so now I was on my own. I've had some difficulty since then but with self help books and now the internet I have managed. I believe I have made them quite proud of me. Thanks Mom and Aline. :crocheting :crocheting :crocheting:woo:jumpyay:dance:hug :hug :hug