Gauge Question

megan

I need some help! I'm going to be felting an object for the first time; I'm making CrochetMe's Pike Place Market Bag, and I'm having problems with my gauge. I'm sorry if this should be in Crochet Help, but it seems like more of a fulling/felting question.

Okay, here goes. I normally crochet really tightly, so I took time to work out a gauge swatch. The pattern says "5â€x5†= 15 sts x 12 rows," which I'm assuming means 15x12 in the pattern stitch, which is half-double crochets. The recommended hook size is an I, and the yarn is worsted weight (LB Fishermen's Wool). Well, I couldn't find my I hook, so I started with a J. That was nowhere near 5"x5" so I tried a K. The K gave me 12 rows to 5" but only about 4" from 15 stitches. The next hook size I have is an N, so I tried that. I got the 15 sts=5", but my rows would be about 8"=12 rows.

Now, the real question: is it better to use the K hook and add more stitches, or use the N hook and make fewer rows? I know that when fulling/felting, you're supposed to have a loosely crocheted piece, and the sample with the N hook is much looser than the sample with the K hook. But how loose is loose enough? If it helps, I usually use an I or J with worsted weight.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Maybe you could try felting both your gauge samples and see which turns out best. Also then you will know how much shrinkage you'll get both horizontally and vertically, and you'll be able to amend the pattern so it will turn out the size you want.

Archived