February Lace KAL canceled.

mamaoso

Of the two of these I like the Blue Jean Shawl the best. Go here to see a better picture than the designer has. It's beautiful in this variegated blue. Am I catching this right that it can be made in either laceweight or fingering yarn? She says she made it in KnitPicks Gossamer but a quick look there shows no Gossamer anymore. mamaoso?

Gossamer is a Laceweight yarn- discontinued. And so is Shimmer a lace weight...

Yea, you can use Fingerweight yarn. I might even use a fingerweight. :think

Just might have to use a different size needle.. Though it's not very often I use the size they call for.:D

I have some Shimmer here at home in the Turquoise Splendor (T.S.) colorway. It's beautiful but I am not sure I want to make the Blue Jean shawl with it and certainly not the Alix's Prayer Shawl. KnitPicks has a Candle Flame pattern (that may not be the name but it's close) which they have done in the T.S. color and I am in love with it. Once I develop some better lace skills I would like to save my T. S. for that pattern.

I am concerned about my ability to manage laceweight yarn yet. The fingering is working fine for Branching Out but I definitely want to move to laceweight at some point. mamaoso, what do you recommend? Fingering again or should I bite the bullet and try smaller? I guess if I bought laceweight and it proved too small for me right now it wouldn't take too long to get some fingering.

I am concerned about my ability to manage laceweight yarn yet. The fingering is working fine for Branching Out but I definitely want to move to laceweight at some point. mamaoso, what do you recommend? Fingering again or should I bite the bullet and try smaller? I guess if I bought laceweight and it proved too small for me right now it wouldn't take too long to get some fingering.

You have done a few with fingerweight. So if I were you I would try th Lace weight.. Go ahead and bite the Bullet...

I just ordered Knitpicks Shimmer in "Cumulus", a smokey, silvery grey, handdyed. Also got some Harmony tips for the laceweight since I happen to know my Options will be sooooooo slick with it. mamaoso, I would like to accuse you of being an enabler, but... I was going to buy something anyway. You're just my good friend with enabling tendencies. :hug:lol

Seriously, thank you for the advice. I just hope I can live up to your confidence in me!

I am up for any one of them, my thing is I have lots of size #10, #20 crochet thread , that I would like to use if it is possible . I am working with Paton's Grace now I is more like a #3 in thread .So what is laceweight closer to ??

I am up for any one of them, my thing is I have lots of size #10, #20 crochet thread , that I would like to use if it is possible . I am working with Paton's Grace now I is more like a #3 in thread .So what is laceweight closer to ??

I believe that laceweight is closer to #10 yarn.

I can't answer that one...Don't really work with crochet thread..

Maybe, HomeKeepingGran can or I'll go look around the internet for an answer..

I :heart Shimmer.... My Harmony needles catch on the lace weight yarn..The tips were the colors change.thcryingCAIHQS2R.gif

I'm going to look in my stash first for something as soon as we decide what to do next month.. I have a cubby hole full of finger and Lace weight yarn..

Ana, I'm no expert at this. I do know people knit with #10 crochet thread for things like doilys and I believe they sometimes do for shawls. I took a picture of some #10 crochet cotton and some laceweight, both draped across a quarter, and visually they are about the same size. At the moment I can't seem to upload the pic to reduce the file size but maybe later the Internet will work properly for me and I can add that picture. The drape of cotton thread will be different from the drape of the alpaca/silk laceweight and certainly the cotton won't develop a "bloom" if that is what you are looking for. Having said that, the lovely, heavy feel of the cotton will probably give beautiful drape, just different. Overall, I think it will work fine. I'm trying to reach into the recesses of my memory and I think you wouldn't be the first one to use this. I say go for it! There are some gorgeous crochet cottons out there with a beautiful sheen — surely they will make you a lovely shawl!

Let me try again to upload that picture... arrrrgh, it's phenomenally slow right now. They're probably really busy at lunch time. Later it will most likely work.

mamaoso, you think your Harmony tips snag the lace? Hmmmmm... most people love them for lace, which is the reason I ordered them. I wonder if you got some defective tips.

Ya, they snag. I tried to use some really fine sandpaper, but after knitting for awhile it starts to snag again.

Alot of people love them for Lace work.

But I just go to my Options or Addi Lace.

I just got to thinking; could I toss Kiri into the mix for consideration, too? Of course, if there are basically three of us again, I guess we could end up with three preferences. :lol I do want to get along here and I don't want to make difficulty. If Kiri is too hard for us yet, then just say so, Mama O. (Or if the others of you just don't care for it, SAY SO. I can certainly do it later.)

ETA: I need to also tell you we are under Ice Storm Watch. It is only a little above freezing here and it's raining. Temps are supposed to drop overnight and... and... well, we could lose electricity. If I appear to abandon this thread, don't think I've gone off into a corner to pout!

Thanks Relynn.. Carla and Mamaosa ..I have done doilies that drape with the #10 and I just have to use a bigger hook ..I was looking in that book "I Can't Believe I am Lace Knitting" Does everybody have that book ?? Because in there is a Sampler Table runner and a Sampler Scarf that be fun to do too..Shawls and a beautiful Leaf Knitted Doily I would love to do too ,but I get a head ache just reading the pattern :eek

We are also in the Winter Storm Watch and cold ..Hubby is on his way back from Lanchaster ,PA

I looked at that book yesterday when I made my KnitPicks order but didn't get it. I'm sorry now that I didn't. If some of the rest of you would like to use a pattern from it, I'll order it. KnitPicks has a nice sale on books right now so this would be a good time to do it.

Carla ,

You won't be disappointed if you get it ..LOTS of great patterns in it..:yes and if they have a sale better yet!! :cheer

Ah, it looks like my friend Ana is an enabler, too! Let me think about it a little bit.

I bought it. It won't be here till, well, till KnitPicks gets it here whenever that is. Probably our February KAL should go ahead with one of the other pretty patterns on the list mamaoso put together. I find myself eager to jump right in with another pattern as soon as I finish Branching Out, which I hope will be this weekend if not sooner. After all, February 1st is Sunday! :lol

:crocheting Let's knit!

Dayflower is OK but if I had to choose between it and Tiger Eye, I would choose Tiger Eye.

At the moment since we are between KALs I've got Classic Elite's Breast Cancer Awareness Scarf going. I think my yarn is a tad larger than what they call for but it's working up really pretty and I love the color, a soft sage green in Sirdar Sublime. This yarn and pattern have been marinating in my stash for over a year and the project promises to be reasonably quick. I'm taking a leaf from mamaoso's book and will knit the first half until I run out of the first ball of yarn, then move on to the second half and use it up, too. Leftovers should be minimal, hooray!

ETA: My yarn is sized correctly but I forgot to move down a needle size when I finished the lace portion at the bottom until I had quite a few rows of the main scarf already on. Oh well.

Archived