Supporting A Troop/Unit In Iraq with Crochet - Update in Post #1

hockeymomcrochets

I really didn’t want this to turn into a debate over how to help our brave young men and women. I wanted to help a troop knowing that the person receiving the items for them will make sure they will be distributed to everyone as we wish and make sure those in more need of comforts from home receive first and foremost.

Here is the deal…

I put trust and faith in not only my Godson but the brave young men and women who are over in Iraq in need. When I send what I get and make I will be including a note to my Godson letting him know one bag is wool or organic, one is blend, one is acrylic and also letting him know what it says on the internet. If you include notes with the items for each recipient you can feel free to do that also. I am going to also write that I trust them as the adults that they are to know or ask what they can and cannot have and also base their decisions on what information is out there on sites (again not government sites, but they may have valid sources) and they should take that into consideration and possibly use them for around camp instead of on assignments. These are not being sent to grammar school children, these are brave men and women who made a choice in their life to make great sacrifices for us. I put my trust and faith in them to know that things are sent to them out of caring and love and make the judgement call of when and where to wear a ski mask or scarf or hat. If they can choose to the serve they certainly have the analytical ability to choose clothing.

Again, if you would like to assist me with this in provide 100 items to a troop that will cherish and also has members in dire need of support from back home, please see post one and PM me for my address.

Can we now focus on the troops and helping them? Thank you everyone.

No they were not sent home because of the frostbite, they where treated in Iraq and served there tour of duty and came to us after they returned home. They recieved there injury while trying to get a little shut eye, they where covered by their sleeping bag, all but their head and that is why they had frostbite to the nose and ear tips.

Hockeymom, I think your idea is wonderful and I am sure that any crocheted items that are not allowed by "the government" will still be enjoyed by our brave heroes. I belong to Soldiers' Angels and have crocheted many items that I sent to the sandbox. Since all of the yarn I have is acrylic, that is what I use. I have never had anyone say that they could not or would not use what I had made. I say, make em and send em. Let's keep our brave men and women warm, out of uniform or not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all!

I'm trying to make my first helmet liner from this pattern: http://www.skeinlane.com/community/documents/crochetliner.pdf and I'm having a little bit of trouble. The pattern looks simple for the most part, but I'm having a hard time getting it started. Can anyone explain how to start the hat?

It says "Form a ring around your finger, work 6 sc in ring." I've never done this before and the searching I've done has been less than helpful. I'm a beginner, a very very big beginner, so I'm sorry if this is a simple concept, but it is escaping me.

Thanks for the help!

• 1 month later...
Hi all!

I'm trying to make my first helmet liner from this pattern: http://www.skeinlane.com/community/documents/crochetliner.pdf and I'm having a little bit of trouble. The pattern looks simple for the most part, but I'm having a hard time getting it started. Can anyone explain how to start the hat?

It says "Form a ring around your finger, work 6 sc in ring." I've never done this before and the searching I've done has been less than helpful. I'm a beginner, a very very big beginner, so I'm sorry if this is a simple concept, but it is escaping me.

Thanks for the help!

I would chain 2, then work the 6 single crochets in the the second chain. Not sure how to form a ring around my finger and work into that :think

Archived