Supporting A Troop/Unit In Iraq with Crochet - Update in Post #1

hockeymomcrochets

My Godson is a Sgt in the Army Airborne and is on his 3rd tour of duty in Iraq. There are 100 men and women in his Troop and 500 in his unit. As you know the nights get very cold. I would to send the helmet liners (ski masks) over for his troop (needing 100 total). His wife said they would love it and appreciate it and said if there were any leftover while the unit is scattered, they do have meetings of the wives regularly and she could certainly find somewhere for any extras to be sent..

Anyway, as I said there are about 100 in his Troop. Some people I have spoken with have brought up the thought of making enough for his troop and then if the ability to go above and beyond is there, send more to each troop as possible and maybe cover the unit.

Neck warmers can also be sent. There are free patterns on the net for them and also one of each on Etsy that I found.

They can be tan, camo, black, brown and I believe even dark grey is acceptable.

I know there are other organizations out there that collect and send, but this is just something close to my heart and I have contact with him, his wife and other wives via her. Not only is he on his 3rd tour of duty there, but his wife is due at the end of February with a baby boy. Their 3rd child and the only birth he will unfortuantely miss.

If you are interested let me know and I can PM you with my address.

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: January 26, 2009

My Godson's wife spoke with him this weekend and here is a reply directly from her after speaking with him about wool v. acrylic for helmet liners or anything....

"he said whichever you want should be fine. they have not been told anything about any of that"

So, while I have been searching .gov and .mil sites for info about the 100% wool I haven't found it on any of them. They are all volunteer sites, so I'd go with the info right from the horses mouth. I will still label things wool or acrylic/acrylic blend just in case but send along as you want and I will piles and then send over when all are ready other people have also mentioned that there are people and possibly military members allergic to wool, which I never thought of.

Therefore, with info directly from a Sgt in the Army Airborne A Troop, if you wish to go by his word, feel free to send me helmet liners (just mark them with the type of yarn) and if you wish to include a note and your name and/or address with each item I will be separating what I receive into wool, wool blend, acrylic just so that he knows because of all the discussion on this and also in case anyone is allergic to wool.

They are very appreciative of this effort in his Troop and are looking forward to receiving the items. I will also be sending him blank thank you notes but again, no replies are guaranteed.

If you wish to make slippers (they say double yarn is warmer) there is a great simple pattern at Bev's Country Cottage. And I will take those (and they can be any colors - bright and fun or whatever) and scarves or neck warmers also.

Thanks, hope this clears things up a bit.

PM me for my address if you wish to send some stuff.

Mary,

I will be glad to help once we know colors and type of yarn that they require. Do you have the pattern for a helmet liner? I've never done one, not even sure what it looks like.:lol

I have emailed my Godson's wife and asked her to find out for us if the helmet liners (ski masks) have to be wool and she will find out right from the base.

The other thing we can make definately in acrylic and in fun colors that they use while back at the base camp and brings them some fun and also caring from home is slippers. I found a great free and easy pattern on Bev's Country Cottage and they say slippers made from doubled yarn it says is very good for warmth, plus you can use 2 different colors to make the slippers more cheerful. Here is the simple and easy pattern from Bev's site.

If you wish to make slippers or scarves even for use at base camp, just PM me for my address. Please include a tag with your name and a short encouraging note with each item you send you they also receive your support in words if you wish. You may also include your address but there is no guarantee of a response.

Thanks!

UPDATE: January 26, 2009

My Godson's wife spoke with him this weekend and here is a reply directly from her after speaking with him about wool v. acrylic for helmet liners or anything....

"he said whichever you want should be fine. they have not been told anything about any of that"

So, while I have been searching .gov and .mil sites for info about the 100% wool I haven't found it on any of them. They are all volunteer sites, so I'd go with the info right from the horses mouth. I will still label things wool or acrylic/acrylic blend just in case but send along as you want and I will piles and then send over when all are ready other people have also mentioned that there are people and possibly military members allergic to wool, which I never thought of.

Therefore, with info directly from a Sgt in the Army Airborne A Troop, if you wish to go by his word, feel free to send me helmet liners (just mark them with the type of yarn) and if you wish to include a note and your name and/or address with each item I will be separating what I receive into wool, wool blend, acrylic just so that he knows because of all the discussion on this and also in case anyone is allergic to wool.

They are very appreciative of this effort in his Troop and are looking forward to receiving the items. I will also be sending him blank thank you notes but again, no replies are guaranteed.

If you wish to make slippers (they say double yarn is warmer) there is a great simple pattern at Bev's Country Cottage. And I will take those (and they can be any colors - bright and fun or whatever) and scarves or neck warmers also.

Thanks, hope this clears things up a bit.

PM me for my address if you wish to send some stuff.

To all on this subject: I am a Dermatology Nurse and within the last week I have treated several GI's from nearby bases, all have some sort of frostbite from exposure to the cold nights in Iraq. The military does not provide them with helmet liners and I think that it is a shame that our brave men and women fighting away from home, should have to suffer frostbite when there are so many of us crafters that we could take care of all of them with just one or two helmet liners from each of us. Please all put down your other projects and make just one helmet liner so I don't have to treat another soldier for a proventible injury.

I think it is great of you to do this for them, and great of all the ones sending you items too.

I wonder about the type of yarn too though.

Just a side note The helmet liner site only accepts wool knitted ones now for certain reasons. It seems the site has moved to the Operation Sam site, and they have in the FAQs that they only take knitted helmet liners now. On the scarfs site they tell why they only want wool.

scarf

I think it is great of you to do this for them, and great of all the ones sending you items too.

Just a side note The helmet liner site only accepts wool knitted ones now for certain reasons. It seems the site has moved to the Operation Sam site, and they have in the FAQs that they only take knitted helmet liners now. On the scarfs site they tell why they only want wool.

scarf

I saw both of those also, but since my Godson said he knew nothing about restrictions and from the information we have been given on how badly these are needed I feel it is better for them to have something than nothing to protect them, even if they only wear them around the base camp. Just my two cents.

I have searched and searched for a .mil or .gov site that has info or restrictions listed and have found none. And none of the sites I have been to have linked to any either.

When someone told me they need condoms to put over the end of their weapons, I had his wife ask him and he said no, we don't do that and please don't send any, guys ask for them that way for "other" reasons.

It is so hard to communicate with so many brave men and women over there and so many here wanting to help in any way possible. I think that those are the keys "the brave" and "any way possible"

Again, just my two cents. Feel free to PM for my address if you would like to add to the batch.

No I am not over there, but my son serves in the Army reserve, and it is true that you want to use natural fibers. Not only because they do not melt, but because natural fibers hold the heat in better and breath better.

Are they sending them home because of frostbite?

scarf

All fine and dandy, but I REALLY wonder, would a soldier who is cold and uncomfortable CARE if his scarf or helmut liner was Knitted OR crocheted?? I highly doubt it. Being a military daughter, and sister, I can vouch for our brave men and women, that they appreciate EVERY single thing sent to them. The helmut liners dont HAVE to be worn under the helmuts, true they are called helmut liners, but they MOSTLY wear them on camp and not very often under the helmut, as it gets too hot that way. You see, when the soldiers re sent, they can only take so many items, due to space restrictions, so keeping that in mind, just imagine how happy they would be to recieve things they would love, but were not able to take with them. Many "groups" are putting thier own restrictions on item, that has nothing to do with the military. YES there are combat uniform rules, but remember, these soliers get time off combat also, and want to be comfy. Sorry I gt long winded there..lol..I just want to let you all kow how MUCH our brave men and women appreciate things sent. And I am working away on things myself. :manyheart

I'm on the fence here. I understand the point of something is better than nothing. I also understand the point of God forbid, it should melt onto their face.

I've seen pics of soldiers wearing the bright happy slippers on thank you pages.

I just wish there was more we could do to support them.

Archived