Thread

Daydreamer-girl

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought some variegated thread in size 8. I compared it with size 10 and it actually looks smaller. I know from past usage of size 3 and 5 that the threads get bigger as the number gets smaller. I got this thread to work on a doily and was really surprised with how thin it was. I got the thread through JoAnn and it is DMC Perle8 crochet thread. So I wonder , "How do you explain that?" It isn't consistant with what I have learned.

Mathwizard,

When it comes to crochet thread - the larger the number the smaller the thread - for example size 30 is much smaller than size 10. 5 is smaller than 3.

If I remember correctly - pearle cotton is not considered a "crochet thread", it is an embroidery floss, so it doesn't really conform to the crochet thread rules. I know I read something about this in another post here on the ville. The expert on this is Katchkan. She works with all the threads and she also does crocheting with the pearle cotton.

Pearle cotton is on my list of want to do's but I haven't gotten there yet. I have used it many times to embroider but never to crochet. I am currently working on several must do projects so I can't add any more WIP's.

You can use the pearle cotton with a strand of size 10 to add some color to your project. I am currently working on a doily with size 30 dmc cebelia and have added a size 80 tatting thread to it. It is working up very pretty. When I get it done, I will post some pics.

Hope this helps, If you are still confused - pm Katchkan. She can help out for sure.

TLOL,

Toni

Everyone is right. The larger the number on Crochet thread the smaller the thread. You can get it from size 3-100. Crochet thread is normally a 3 ply thread. You can get really good crochet thread that is 6 ply, but it is harder to find.

Pearle Cotton thread is not meant to be a crochet thread, though we can and do use it as such. It's sizing is different. It is a 2 ply thread and will tend to split easier than crochet thread.

Combining various threads can be fun. I like adding metalic sewing threads sometimes to give a bit of sprarkle to my work. But it is a bit harder to work with 2 or more strands of thread as you have to be sure to catch all strands on each stitch or you can end up with unsightly loops.

Hope this helps.

Working with thread is so much fun and so rewarding. Have a great time with it.

If that is the case , then why does JoAnn sell and advertise it as crochet thread. That is where I got the thread. In fact it is DMC 's cotton perle thread and on their web site it is listed as crochet cotton and is sold in size 8. Here is a link to the exact kind of thread I bought.

http://www.dmc-usa.com/majic/pageServer/03010000k0/en_US/Crochet-Cottons.html

If that is the case , then why does JoAnn sell and advertise it as crochet thread. That is where I got the thread. In fact it is DMC 's cotton perle thread and on their web site it is listed as crochet cotton and is sold in size 8. Here is a link to the exact kind of thread I bought.

http://www.dmc-usa.com/majic/pageServer/03010000k0/en_US/Crochet-Cottons.html

I find that interesting that they have included that in the crochet cottons. When I learned about threads It wasn't. So apparently they have added it without changing the sizing. I would think that if they were going to add it to their crochet line of threads they would size it accordingly.

I rarely use it as I prefer a 3 ply thread at least. So I haven't looked at it in years. Though I do sometimes as they have a nice color choice in that line of threads.

This is the description of pearl cotton from which I learned about it from.

" Pearl Cotton:

A 2-ply soft twist cotton suited for filet lace, teneriffe lace and cutwork when good compaction is desired."

and

" Pearl:

A twisted lustrous cotton for embroidery, needlepoint, pulled thread, hardanger, cross stitch, huck weaving, smocking, gimp thread in bobbin lace, Battenberg lace. "

So I guess the definition has changed.

Mathwizard and Katchkan,

Kathy you are still correct, the definition has not changed. If you look at DMC's link here it lists almost the exact same definition you have in your post for pearle cotton. The difference is the "Pearle Cotton Balls" they sell. These are available in size 5, 8 and 12. This is where they list the pearle cotton as being used for crochet and knitting.

Pearle cotton is definately an embroidery floss/thread. I have only ever seen the pearle cotton in the stores in a size 8, the size 5 is new to me. I am not sure if it corresponds with a size 5 crochet thread or not, I would have to see it.

As I said before, you can work it with a size 10, 20 or 30 crochet thread to add some color or can work with more than one strand of the pearle cotton.

I have been tempted many times because they have such a wide variety of colors available. Perhaps you could explore Krakovianka's post about making doilies with sewing thread - she really makes some stunning doilies using three strands of sewing thread and dropping one color for another at one time. The doilies have a very soft color change to them. It really is pretty and I definately am going to try it one day.

I hope this clarifies things some - DMC should only have the large size balls listed as crochet thread if in fact they are a true size 5 in the crochet world.

TLOL,

Toni

I seems since I didn't look at the embroidery threads and I am open to new crochet products that their perle cotton balls are considered by them to be crochet and embroidery thread.:clap They do produce wonderful affects when used.

• 2 months later...

There is a pattern for a lovely top in the May issue of Crochet! called Simply Delightful Top (it's on page 36 if you happen to have a copy of the magazine). The pattern calls for size 5 pearl cotton.

I've worked with thread before but am not familiar with pearl cotton. I finally found some at Hobby Lobby but it was skeined for embroidery or cross stitch and there's no way I would want to buy a bunch of those tiny skeins when I need about 1100 yds for this pattern.

I did some internet searching and found 5/2 perle cotton on the Woolery's website. They sell it in one pound cones which would be more than enough for the top.

My question is...is 5/2 perle cotton the same thing as size 5 pearl cotton?

If it's not the same thing does anyone have any idea where I could find some? I found it on the DMC website but could not for the life of me figure out how to order it. Thanks!

Archived