Ideas For Quick, Warm Blanket for OTR Trucker

Swayde

Question

A friend of mine has asked me to make him a blanket that he can keep in his truck as he's driving across the country. He wants it to be thick and heavy and extra warm. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I am a Floridian so am used to coming up with ideas for very thin, lacy type blankets and have no experience with the extreme cold weather he's experiencing.

I would like something that works up very quickly so I can get it to him asap. I was thinking of possibly just a standard ripple, but using 2 or 3 strands of yarn instead of 1, but not sure what size hook I'd need for that or anything.

I would appreciate any and all tips and input and ideas you all can offer.

Thanks in advance,

Barb

24 answers to this question

I also made mine in hdc, like it tighter, I also used a smaller hook and varied the amount of chains and rows to make a square.

Like Angelfire, I HIGHLY recommend the Flannelghan of RoseRed's. I did change it a tad, since my SIL is a OTR driver i made it in HDC, a tighter and warmer stitch but with the same hook as recommended, he loves it. This has been the greatest pattern, I have made 4, it is pretty, easy, quick and can be either manly or delicate, whichever you choose. diane

You can't reccomend it?!?:think I thought you just did :hook

2 strands and an N hook will be plenty warm and thick enough for whatever pattern you choose.

The flannelghan is what kept Jimbo warm when his heat was out at the cabin.

sorry,,,, fixed my post. never click the reply button when your brain is on vacation without you for the week. :rofl

:lol I also made a Flannelghan for an OTR trucker! Seems to be the popular choice. ;) (He decided it was too nice to put in his truck, despite my telling him it was tough enough for the road and could be thrown in the washer and dryer!)

Like Angelfire, I HIGHLY recommend the Flannelghan of RoseRed's. I did change it a tad, since my SIL is a OTR driver i made it in HDC, a tighter and warmer stitch but with the same hook as recommended, he loves it. This has been the greatest pattern, I have made 4, it is pretty, easy, quick and can be either manly or delicate, whichever you choose. diane

This is not crochet but a fleece tie blanket would be warm. You could make it 3 or 4 layers thick if you wanted it super warm and thick. Just put the layers together, cut the side even (all layers at one time). Cut a 5" square out of each corner and then 1" strips 5" long on all sides. Then if you use 3 tie the top 2 to the bottom 1 and then the next one tie the bottom 2 to the top 1. If you are using 4 layers, tie the top layer to layer 3 and 2 to 4 and then it will all be together without sewing. I usually just do 2 layers for in the house and that seems to be plenty warm, almost too warm sometimes. :) Good Luck!

I've found that double or triple stranded sc is really warm. It's slower than doing one in dc, but sometimes the extra warmth is worth it.

I cannot recommend the Lumberjack Flannelghan that RoseRed has posted here.

I just made one in two greens for my distance-trucking younger son.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42711

I bumped it back to page one... ((my bad))

You can't reccomend it?!?:think I thought you just did :hook

2 strands and an N hook will be plenty warm and thick enough for whatever pattern you choose.

The flannelghan is what kept Jimbo warm when his heat was out at the cabin.

I think I suggested this to someone else asking about warm blankets... but what about a thermal stitch afghan? The pattern I have is for a preemie blanket, but I'm working on one that's for an adult. Since I started going back to college, I haven't had much time to work on crochet, but depending on how fast you crochet and how much time you have to work on it, it works up well and seems to be pretty warm.

Here's the pattern link: http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/free/afghans/f120004preemie.shtml

A multi strand in your favorite stitch using a P or Q hook will go quickly and keep him from freezing. Also my friend drives OTR and I made him a short scarf, just long enough to tuck around his neck inside a coat; and he says it's the best thing he ever got. Not long enough to be a danger if he has to climb around his rig, but warm on his neck and chest when he's in the Frozen North.

My coworker kept saying it was too short, but I told her no, it's for a man who drives and he can't have it get caught in the gears. When he told me it was a perfect length I told her; and she realized what I was saying was true.

This is totally NOT crochet, but I found an electric blanket at Amazon.com for my truck driving nephew that plugs in to the cigarette lighter. He got stuck in snow out side of Chicago and was in extreme cold and he swears it was the best thing ever.

Just an idea you could pass on to him when you give him your gift.

The big afghan hooks (MOEZ) and homespun yarn make a quick very warm afghan also.

We have an electric blanket for the truck and it works great. We sleep on ours since heat rises and that way hubby and I aren't fighting over the blanket, LOL.

This is totally NOT crochet, but I found an electric blanket at Amazon.com for my truck driving nephew that plugs in to the cigarette lighter. He got stuck in snow out side of Chicago and was in extreme cold and he swears it was the best thing ever.

The big afghan hooks (MOEZ) and homespun yarn make a quick very warm afghan also.

Thanks for the tip. I will let him know =)

Archived